Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#68179 - 06/12/08 01:11 AM Re: Encourage me...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
devil's advocate -- if you have an interest in the next generation of gear, why note wait a bit and see what the Outlaws come up with for the 990 successor?
It's an excellent point, but if he's gone 12 years without an upgrade the 990 is an opportunity to make a huge leap forward for little first cost. And within a year or so, there will almost certainly be players available that will provide the new audio formats without needing onboard decoding.

I think that in this case, there's not really a "wrong" choice - waiting for the next gen will cost more but should offer some great hardware, while jumping on the 990 deal now is a great value with immediate benefits.

#68180 - 06/12/08 02:08 PM Re: Encourage me...
Altec Offline
Desperado

Remember though - all a person will be buying is the functionaltiy of newer sound / video modes and delivery media. The basic sound quality of gear has not improved one bit in decades. Many people assume (wrongly) that basic audio technology's sound quality has progressed at the rate of computers - not so.

#68181 - 06/12/08 03:53 PM Re: Encourage me...
lanion Offline
Gunslinger

What about upgrading from a H/K Dpr 1001? It can do dolby digital, DTS, etc. Would the 990 do anything for me?

I am, without doubt, getting the 990s successor. Just wondering if I can expect a leap at all. This new price is tempting, but I need a nudge.

#68182 - 06/12/08 03:59 PM Re: Encourage me...
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ontairo, Canada
Altec,

while I agree, in general, I wouldn't say that the sound quality hasn't changed one bit. The difference between my old setup and new is like the difference between my old V8 Vega and a more sophisticated and current BMW M3. The old setup was raw hp, while the new, more refined (and certainly cleaner). There is a difference, although I think there's still something to be said for analogue, over digital. This hobby seems to be all about compromise.

Overall, though, I would agree with what you say (although I find it a far more extravagant hobby, now and perhaps a little overly complex, for what it is).

John

#68183 - 06/12/08 03:59 PM Re: Encourage me...
tmdlp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big D, Tx
but to enjoy the functionality and video switching Matt would have to step up. That's the point.

digital chips/software/integration have gotten better. So yes - in the digital world - processors have gotten better and have been progressing like computers.
The steering in movies would be better presented.

Fundamentals like amps have not made the same changes as Altec mentioned. Speakers have been refined..... no breakthrough...

Matt... Yes you will get better processing and more functionality w/in your system. Do you have an XBOX360 or Playstation3 - HDTV of some sort?
all this plays into functionality.

Sound.... this is up to you. Are there happy customers w/ Outlaw 990? Yes.
Have there been owners of other equipment a little miffed when a 990 is compared very positively to it? Especial given the price of the 990? Yes.

Does it sound better than your current gear... i can not give an opinion because i have not heard the Parasound unit.

I do know that there are a wide range of systems that use the 990. There is a thread around here somewhere w/ users/owners and there systems.

I know i'm happy. Would i buy equipment made in the 90's? For 2 channel - you bet!
for surround - no.

just my 2 cents.....

#68184 - 06/12/08 05:12 PM Re: Encourage me...
wolverine Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor
I tend to be of a similar mind on audio electronics as Altec. I am not a frequent buyer. But to take this one step further, it would seem that the market would be ripe for an HDMI switcher/decoder box, akin to the old AC-3 adapters. This is the main piece of the pre/pro that is really being improved for many HT enthusiasts. Those that are interested in sophisticated video processing are probably getting stand-alone video processors anyway. Include multiple (4?) HDMI inputs, one HDCP pass-through HDMI output, decoders for all the new sound modes including multichannel PCM for SACD and DVD-A, and a 7.1 analog output. Your current pre/pro handles everything else already. It would basically be 25% or less of the guts of the new Outlaw processor. You could then use your existing 990, or your pricey Lexicon, Anthem, Krell, or whatever, for many years to come. If they can manufacture and sell something equivalent to the new Integra/Onkyo processor for $1400, they should be able to take a quarter of the components of a pre/pro and sell it for say $500-600.

My $0.02 is that Blu-ray (and universal) players, as well as TVs themselves, already do video upscaling -- admittedly some better than others. This is changing too fast to want to buy a new pre/pro every year. Even if you buy today's top video processing pre/pro, a $300 Blu-ray player will probably do better video processing by 2010. If "the decoder/switcher box" is kept to sound only and video pass through, it would keep the cost down but the potential market could be huge.

Outlaw did something similar already in repackaging their multichannel receiver as the 970 by taking out the amps.

#68185 - 06/12/08 05:19 PM Re: Encourage me...
RedSIinPA Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Outside Phila.
you're hereby encouraged. When I saw the 990 price drop I wanted to trade in my 1070. the only thing, and I really mean this, is cabinet space. I can't squeeze in a separate amp in my cabinet. $699 is just too good to pass up. do eet.
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
Elite DV-47Ai Universal SACD/DVD-A
Citypulse DA7.2x II + TXCO DAC
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112
Denon AH-D2000 Headphones

#68186 - 06/12/08 08:18 PM Re: Encourage me...
Matt Faske Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Louisville, KY
I really would like to thank everyone for their input.

To answer the questions posed by tmdlp above, the majority of my listening will be satelliteTV and DVD movies. I do have a HD projection tv, although it's about 5 years old, 1080i, DVI input. Source equipment includes HD Satellite receiver with HDMI out, and someday I hope to get a PS3. My DVD player does not upconvert, but my next one will (or will be replaced by the PS3).

When it comes to sound quality, I'm hoping that the improvement from a direct digital audio connection versus the analog RCA connections that I'm living with now alone will make the purchase worthwhile. Add the dvi switching, bass managemment, that microphone set-up thingy, and the advanced surround sound processing, and I should be one happy couch potato!

I really appreciate all of the encouragement. Although I haven't firmly decided yet, I'm very excited about the possibilities. It helps me to hear the pros and cons from those who have been there before making a decision!

#68187 - 06/12/08 09:17 PM Re: Encourage me...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It's a tough decision to make with just words on a computer screen to go by, but I remember enough of my own transition to Dolby Digital decoding to anticipate it to be a safe bet that there would be pleasing benefits from the upgrade. Let us know what you decide!

#68188 - 06/12/08 10:11 PM Re: Encourage me...
cp1966 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Minneapolis
Another option is to be the priveledged owner of my used 990 when I buy the new processor when it comes out. smile

I will sell it for $350 shipped, and as of now it still has well over 3 years of the warranty on it. And it has the new firmware on it!
Panasonic TC-P65S1 65" Plasma HDTV, Marantz AV 8801 Preamp, Outlaw 7700 Amp, Klipsch RF7 (X-over dean G modded) RC7 (X-over Dean G modded) RS7 CDT-5800C speakers, Outlaw LFM1 EX Subwoofer, Oppo BDP-93, B & O Turntable, Toshiba HD-A2, Sony CD & DVD 400 disc jukeboxes, DirecTV HD-DVR, PS2, PS3, Wii, Harmony one remote, Monster PowerBar 1200 for the TV, sub, PS3, HD DVD and Wii, Tripp Lite Isolation Bar for the Amp, Pre-Amp and other sources.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 97 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts