Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#68153 - 06/10/08 09:22 PM Re: Good bye to Cirrus Logic?
FAUguy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: FL
Since I don't have a BD Player (just a Pioneer DV-37 DVD player) and my Panasonic 36" TAU HDTV lacks HDMI or DVI inputs (only component), I might wait on purchasing the new unit. But the $200 discount might be enough for me to act within the first 6 months.

My concern is that with everyone getting the new unit and selling their 990 (eBay/Audiogon) the resale value is going to drop even more. My guess we'll be able to sell our used 990 for about $500. That would leave $900-$1000 difference for the new unit (after $200 discount).

#68154 - 06/10/08 09:32 PM Re: Good bye to Cirrus Logic?
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
...supporting resolutions other than 720p, 1080i, and 1080p gets into some nasty issues with display timing that are very difficult to accommodate... I think that's part of the reason that we typically only see those standard resolutions supported... it's not something likely to show up outside of a $1,000+ video scaler component...
For those that need the expanded options of a stand alone video scaler and the new audio formats don't provide a perceived improvement a 990 and a scaler might be a better option. Are the new audio formats all that much better than our current options? There are many questions to ponder as we wait for Outlaw's new pre/pro.

#68155 - 06/10/08 11:31 PM Re: Good bye to Cirrus Logic?
klh Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by sb-avnut:
The "revolutionary" new tech has to do with Room Correction (that actually works, unlike Audyssey that gives different settings when you run it multiple times...).

BTW, proper Room correction also requires massive computing power, so going with TWO chips is surely beneficial...

At that price ($1,400), I would expect it to have a good video processing solution - using probably either HQV Reon or ABT 2010.

And yes, I fully expect to see the CS 49700 in the 970 replacement (whenever it comes out).
Can you say Trinnov Optimizer? The Sherwood Newcastle receiver that is also using the dual TI chips will have this robust EQ. For those that don't know, the stand along EQ is >$11,000 and those that have heard the pre-production R-972's have been blown away. This EQ system takes what Audyssey does, adds user selectable target curves for in room response (not just flat) and allows you to spatially reconfigure where each speaker is located. It is amazing stuff... and hopefully the new Outlaw pre/pro will have it!

#68156 - 06/10/08 11:34 PM Re: Good bye to Cirrus Logic?
klh Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

BTW, in the upcoming R-972, you can also set independant hi-pass and low pass filters as well as correct phase for your sub. A vast improvement over Audyssey... we'll see if all these features end up in the new pre/pro.

#68157 - 06/11/08 02:19 AM Re: Good bye to Cirrus Logic?
cp1966 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Minneapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by FAUguy:
Since I don't have a BD Player (just a Pioneer DV-37 DVD player) and my Panasonic 36" TAU HDTV lacks HDMI or DVI inputs (only component), I might wait on purchasing the new unit. But the $200 discount might be enough for me to act within the first 6 months.

My concern is that with everyone getting the new unit and selling their 990 (eBay/Audiogon) the resale value is going to drop even more. My guess we'll be able to sell our used 990 for about $500. That would leave $900-$1000 difference for the new unit (after $200 discount).
With a $200 discount, I would be more than happy to sell my 990 for $500. They are hardly selling for that on Ebay, so I would be suprised to see it go for that much. I would sell mine for $400 shipped.

I know when the announcment is made that the newer model is "available", I will be placing my order.

It will be interesting to see how it looks. There are some very nice pictures of how it should look in one of the other saloon sections.
Panasonic TC-P65S1 65" Plasma HDTV, Marantz AV 8801 Preamp, Outlaw 7700 Amp, Klipsch RF7 (X-over dean G modded) RC7 (X-over Dean G modded) RS7 CDT-5800C speakers, Outlaw LFM1 EX Subwoofer, Oppo BDP-93, B & O Turntable, Toshiba HD-A2, Sony CD & DVD 400 disc jukeboxes, DirecTV HD-DVR, PS2, PS3, Wii, Harmony one remote, Monster PowerBar 1200 for the TV, sub, PS3, HD DVD and Wii, Tripp Lite Isolation Bar for the Amp, Pre-Amp and other sources.

#68158 - 06/11/08 12:44 PM Re: Good bye to Cirrus Logic?
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ontairo, Canada
CP1966,

where are the pics? I can't find them! lol

The desciption of the new Outlaw sounds much like the Anthem D2:

http://www.sonicfrontiers.com/HTML/Products/D2/D2.html

Given the price differential, I'd be curious to know how they compare!

Yes, it seems the high resale value of the 990 will soon, if not already, be a thing of the past.

I'm hoping Denon will make a 7.1 blu-ray player, similar to their current:

http://ca.denon.com/ProductDetails/3095.asp

thanks,

John

#68159 - 06/11/08 02:13 PM Re: Good bye to Cirrus Logic?
rbray Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: North Royalton, Ohio
The Integra 9.8 uses three of the TI DSP's, Audyssey Pro, and includes Reon video processing for around $1600. Decodes everything up to DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD.

#68160 - 06/11/08 02:34 PM Re: Good bye to Cirrus Logic?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Originally posted by scooter:
I'm hoping for a comprehensive HDMI, if not processing, then at least switching. With my current TV, I'm maxed at two HDMI inputs and having to fall back to component for everything else. I'd really like something that took *anything* IN and allowed anything to go OUT via a single HDMI. Then I could do all my switching from the Outlaw rather than having to switch the TV inputs too.
We don't have a feature set yet, of course, but the price point and current market pretty much assures that it will need to provide HDMI switching as well as transcoding/scaling of analog video sources (composite, s-video, and component) to a single HDMI video output. That would do exactly what you are talking about.

#68161 - 06/11/08 02:44 PM Re: Good bye to Cirrus Logic?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Originally posted by klh:
Can you say Trinnov Optimizer? The Sherwood Newcastle receiver that is also using the dual TI chips will have this robust EQ. For those that don't know, the stand along EQ is >$11,000 and those that have heard the pre-production R-972's have been blown away. This EQ system takes what Audyssey does, adds user selectable target curves for in room response (not just flat) and allows you to spatially reconfigure where each speaker is located. It is amazing stuff... and hopefully the new Outlaw pre/pro will have it!
I've read a little about Trinnov in an AVS thread about the 972. Sounds like a potent tool. If that is their new technology, that'd be interesting to play around with...

#68162 - 06/11/08 05:08 PM Re: Good bye to Cirrus Logic?
kscharf Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: South Florida
Interesting! Please note that they said the 990 replacement would cost at LEAST $1400. It may be a few hundred more than that by the time it's out.

Also noted that they are still trying to sell B stock 990's at the same price as the new ones ($699). Wonder how long it will take for Outlaw to fix that problem?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 121 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM