Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#6785 - 01/19/09 01:05 PM Re: Hookup Questions
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
What I think Gonk is saying is that the DVI inputs are only connected to the DVI outputs on the 990. The 990 doesn't take DVI inputs and convert them to a component/s-Video output. If you get a new HD-DVR you will have to use its component outputs to feed the 990 until you get a new TV with HDMI input. At that point you could use the DVI to feed your video signal directly to the TV. You will also have to run the audio channels to the 990 also. I use the Optical output of my Directv HD receiver as the audio input to my 990 and the HDMI out from it to the 990 DVI 1 then on to the TV. I use cables from Bluejeans to accomplish the HDMI to DVI swap. I also input my DVD player into the DVI 2 position and then to the TV. In both cases I use the optical output for the audio side input to the 990.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#6786 - 01/19/09 04:45 PM Re: Hookup Questions
countryboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Harper, Kansas
Quote:
If you get a new HD-DVR you will have to use its component outputs to feed the 990 until you get a new TV with HDMI input.
This is what I wasn't getting until now and the fact that with a new tv I would still need to run both component and HMDI.

Yeah I get the optical connections which in my case shouldn't change since I'm using optical to the 990 with any device I can.

I would probably run the new HD receiver HDMI's Out into the 990 HDMI's In then out to the tv (as XenonMan) but since you will be using two different tv inputs as opposed to one now, is there any advantages of doing it this way verse connecting the HD receiver HDMI straight to the tv?

If picture quality would be similar using component vs HDMI with a source such as a HD sat receiver it sure looks like it would be a slicker setup just using component.

Not that I can afford it now but does the new 997 handle HDMI/component, connections/switching any different?

#6787 - 01/19/09 07:04 PM Re: Hookup Questions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
I would probably run the new HD receiver HDMI's Out into the 990 HDMI's In then out to the tv (as XenonMan) but since you will be using two different tv inputs as opposed to one now, is there any advantages of doing it this way verse connecting the HD receiver HDMI straight to the tv?
If you anticipate adding a second HDMI device (such as Blu-ray), wiring it this way now will simplify the process when that second device is added.
Quote:
If picture quality would be similar using component vs HDMI with a source such as a HD sat receiver it sure looks like it would be a slicker setup just using component.
If your satellite receiver is the only HDMI equipped device, I would be sorely tempted to leave it on component for the convenience of using the 990's switching - at least until/unless you have an additional HDMI device in the mix.
Quote:
Not that I can afford it now but does the new 997 handle HDMI/component, connections/switching any different?
Details on the 997 are still a little elusive, but the fact that it has a video processing chip would suggest that it will be able to transcode, deinterlace, and if desired scale analog video sources and send them to the HDMI monitor output.

#6788 - 01/20/09 12:10 AM Re: Hookup Questions
countryboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Harper, Kansas
Gonk thanks for having the patience to explain everything in detail (more than once I think) I tend to get confused at times with all the different connections and options.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM