Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6775 - 01/16/09 06:15 PM Hookup Questions
countryboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Harper, Kansas
I have some general hookup questions but let me first explain that I have the Outlaw 990 with everything (Direct Tivo, outboard OTA tuner,dvd & vcr) hooked directly to it. I use a component cable ran from the 990 to my older 57" HDTV since it has neither DVI or HDMI. I also run the RF out of the Direct Tivo to an upstairs bedroom and I'm using a MX-600 with RF base station to control it.

While I'd like to get a newer HDTV with HDMI I'm still willing to wait it out another year for the prices to drop on 60" or so screen sizes. Since my 57" Toshiba lacks it's own digital tuner I use an older Zenith 420 to get my hi-def OTA local channels and despite only being able to run component from the 990 to the Toshiba the hi-def channels look pretty good to my eyes.

Okay in the coming months I'm either going to upgrade my Direct Tivo to one of DTV's HD models or maybe even wait for the upcoming Direct Tivo although that could be a long wait.

Now some questions:

1. Since the newer DTV HD receivers all use HDMI and the 990 only had DVI, do you recommend getting a HDMI to DVI cable or using a HDMI cable (already have) with an HDMI to DVI adapter? Is there a difference in quality? Or would I want to stay with component since that's the way the Direct Tivo is hooked up now and the best connection to my tv would still be component also?

2. As far as I know most newer Direct TV HD receivers loose the RF out so I need to think of a way to still get that signal to an upstairs bedroom. I'm assuming that all newer HD receivers would still have analog audio and video out am I right in assuming this?

3. If all new HD Sat receivers do still provide both audio and video analog out would they still be active while you would be using either HDMI or component to the 990?

4. Providing answers to 2 & 3 are yes, would there be any issues running analog cables A/V 50ft to 75ft to the upstairs bedroom? I see Monoprice has cables pretty long for a decent price.

#6776 - 01/16/09 06:57 PM Re: Hookup Questions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
1. Since the newer DTV HD receivers all use HDMI and the 990 only had DVI, do you recommend getting a HDMI to DVI cable or using a HDMI cable (already have) with an HDMI to DVI adapter? Is there a difference in quality?
There's no difference. I've done both (DVI-to-HDMI cable and HDMI cable with HDMI-to-DVI adapter). The only caveat is that I would not run a DVI cable with a DVI-to-HDMI adapter because of the weight and stress applied to the HDMI connector.
Quote:
Or would I want to stay with component since that's the way the Direct Tivo is hooked up now and the best connection to my tv would still be component also?
Well, once you change TV's you will no longer have the component-only limitation. In my experience, I've found no difference in picture quality between component or DVI/HDMI with HD cable service. For other sources, though, HDMI may be preferable (Blu-ray, for example, or some DVD players with good upscaling that only works via HDMI).
Quote:
2. As far as I know most newer Direct TV HD receivers loose the RF out so I need to think of a way to still get that signal to an upstairs bedroom. I'm assuming that all newer HD receivers would still have analog audio and video out am I right in assuming this?
I don't know enough about DirecTV gear to know what outputs they offer, but as a general rule any video source today will still offer some basic "legacy" analog outputs (both audio and video). You may not be able to run RF without adding an RF modulator, but you should still have analog audio and video outputs.
Quote:
3. If all new HD Sat receivers do still provide both audio and video analog out would they still be active while you would be using either HDMI or component to the 990?
Again, I don't use satellite so I don't know. With cable boxes, you generally can use both outputs at once (although HDMI generally disables component output in my experience). You may have some issues with aspect ratio control - I know that I can archive things from my box's DVR to my DVD recorder with the proper aspect ratio while I watch something else via HDMI, but I don't remember if SD content gets squeezed & pillarboxed at other times. I think it may.

I do have a friend with satellite (not sure what provider) and he has two receivers that share a single DVR - one is an HD unit with the DVR, and the other is an SD unit that can pull recordings from the HD unit's hard drive.
Quote:
4. Providing answers to 2 & 3 are yes, would there be any issues running analog cables A/V 50ft to 75ft to the upstairs bedroom? I see Monoprice has cables pretty long for a decent price.
You have to be a little careful about runs that long and possible interference (being parallel to power wiring, for example). It can be done, though. If you already have the coax cable run up there, though, you could also just get an RF modulator from Radio Shack for $30 and connect the AV cables to that.

#6777 - 01/17/09 05:38 PM Re: Hookup Questions
countryboy Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Gonk for the reply! Sounds like it's okay to use either an HDMI cable with DVI adapter or a HDMI to DVI cable so I'll check the prices at Monoprice.

Interesting that there's not a big difference using HDMI or component with cable or Sat HD at least it gives me more options.

I will assume for now that I will still be able to use the analog outs of the DTV receiver while at the same time using either component or HDMI.

Okay I've never used a RF modulator before should it:
A. provide as good as signal (tv picture) as my currently ran coax from Direct Tivo RF out?

B. Compared to running analog A/V cables to the upstairs tv should the RF modulated signal be about the same?

I actually like the idea of the RF modulator since I wouldn't have to run more cable is the Radio Shack model decent? For a little more money I've found a CE Labs 1001ST Stereo RF modulator http://www.amazon.com/LABS-1001ST-Stereo...32213346&sr=1-1 would this work with my Sat receiver? Even though CE Labs website says it's discontinued it still seems to be available several places.

Just curious with the RF signal I'm currently sending from my Direct Tivo to my upstairs tv, is the audio it's sending mono or stereo?

#6778 - 01/17/09 06:58 PM Re: Hookup Questions
gonk Offline
Desperado

RF modulated video and audio is the "lowest common denominator" of quality. Depending on the quality of the modulator, it should match what you're getting now - after all, the Tivo is using an internal RF modulator to create the signal, and all you're doing is moving that process outboard. It's not guaranteed to be equal, but it should be comparable. As for stereo vs. mono, RF can carry stereo and I would expect that your Tivo is outputting stereo now.

Running analog cables can be better quality, but depending on the quality of the TV at the other end and the path that the cables follow to get there the differences may be subtle.

The CE Labs unit you linked to looks a bit more robust than the typical Radio Shack units I've used in the past. I've had mixed results with those - some work just fine, but I've had one die on me.

#6779 - 01/18/09 12:24 AM Re: Hookup Questions
countryboy Offline
Gunslinger

I really don't have a preference to running analog cables or using a RF modulator as long as the quality is equal to what I'm getting now, it sounds like you're saying either should work. The upstairs tv the signal is going to is a top of the line 20" Panasonic maybe 5 years old.

If I go the RF modulator route and use the CE Labs 1001ST it has selectable channels UHF 14-69; Cable 65-94, 100-125, do I just pick any channel to set it on and then set the tv to the same channel?

I suppose if I decide to run analog cables I won't actually know how well it will work until after I've already bought and ran the cables. I guess that could also apply to the RF modulator.

#6780 - 01/18/09 05:19 AM Re: Hookup Questions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Either way, you won't know until (unless) you try it. As for the modulator, you have it - select a channel, and then leave the TV on that channel.

#6781 - 01/19/09 01:30 AM Re: Hookup Questions
countryboy Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk just a couple more questions after I get a new HD sat receiver I know I need to run a HDMI cable with DVI adapter from the receiver to one of the 990's DVI 1 or 2. Currently with my Direct Tivo the best connection is S-Video so the 990 is set to use that input, do I just change it to DVI in the 990 menu for that device and it's ready to go?

Would I only use the 990's DVI Out when I got a newer tv with HDMI? Would I loose the OSD and if so are there any work arounds?

#6782 - 01/19/09 02:22 AM Re: Hookup Questions
gonk Offline
Desperado

First, the DVI switching is independent from the analog video switching - you will not get the 990's setup menu or any composite, s-video, or component video inputs via DVI out. All you will get is DVI inputs. That means that if you have any non-HDMI/DVI sources you will need to keep an analog video output from the 990. You'll need that for the 990's setup menu, anyway. That's why I use a combination of component and DVI outputs from the 990: DVI for my HDMI sources, component for everything else.

#6783 - 01/19/09 04:10 AM Re: Hookup Questions
countryboy Offline
Gunslinger

I guess I didn't know that.

Okay then with a new HD receiver using HDMI to 990 DVI in and 990 component out to tv (doesn't have HDMI) are you saying the HD receiver won't show up as a device in my 990 menu? If you're not saying that then it looks like under Inputs in the 990 menu where it will list the new HD receiver the video input should be set to DVI?

#6784 - 01/19/09 12:57 PM Re: Hookup Questions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Okay then with a new HD receiver using HDMI to 990 DVI in and 990 component out to tv (doesn't have HDMI) are you saying the HD receiver won't show up as a device in my 990 menu?
No. I'm saying that the DVI switching is just a pass-through. Thus, the 990's DVI output only gets a signal from a DVI input - and if a source is selected that uses any analog video input (composite, s-video, or component), the DVI output does not get that signal.
Quote:
If you're not saying that then it looks like under Inputs in the 990 menu where it will list the new HD receiver the video input should be set to DVI?
Right. Once you hook a couple sources to the 990's DVI inputs, you go into the 990's setup menu, go to input setup, and set the "Video" input for those sources to their corresponding DVI inputs. Exactly like you select "Comp-DVD", "Comp-Vid1", "Comp-Vid2", "Composite", or "S-Video" now.

The part of this process that you need to keep in mind is that you still need a separate analog video connection to your HDTV. The easiest thing to do is to use a component connection, although depending on the sources that may be using it there are cases where a composite or s-video output will suffice. Let's use an example: I connect a Blu-ray player and an HD cable box to the 990's two DVI inputs (assigning "DVI1" to the DVD and/or 7.1 Direct input for Blu-ray and "DVI2" to Video1 for the cable). Then I connect a Wii and an old DVD recorder to the 990 with component cables and an SMS-1 to the 990 with a composite cable. Now I have to run both DVI (or DVI-to-HDMI) and component cables to my HDTV. I need to select the DVI/HDMI input on the TV when watching the Blu-ray player or HD cable box. Then I need to select the component input when playing the Wii, watching a disc on the DVD recorder, configuring the SMS-1, or looking at the 990's setup menu.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts