Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#67631 - 02/27/08 05:54 PM Re: Got Surround Blues, help??
UMtiger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Memphis, TN
Alphanstein
Never occurred to me either about the power up sequence. I currently do tv, 990, cable. But I will try this.
Could there be a setting issue within my dvd or tv that could be causing this also. Should i reset the delays back to zero from what auto setup provided.

Skyblazer, how you been. I guess you can see that I bought the 7500 instead of staying w/NAD. I have done the auto setup several times and it has not fixed it.

#67632 - 02/27/08 09:42 PM Re: Got Surround Blues, help??
alphanstein Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Diego, CA
A good way to troubleshoot the delay is to also hook up the component and digital signals to your TV directly from the cable box, assuming your TV has the ability to have a digital optical or coax input. As this removes the 990 from the mix, you can determine if the cable box is causing a delay with the video to the TV first and foremost.

Absent the ability to hook up directly to the TV both digital sources, then you should trial and error the coax versus optical on the 990 and see if this helps fix.

I for one tried the auto set up of the 990, but opted to manually adjust the settings myself instead. This was just related to speaker levels and distances. I did not adjust for any lip synch delay to any of the inputs. While the auto setup was close, I had to tweak a few things slighly due to my room layout not being uniform.

As I said, my lip synch issues were intermittent and only on the cable box, so rather than adjust the 990 for delays, I tried to reduce the occurrence of the intermittence and so far have been fine of late.

#67633 - 02/27/08 11:04 PM Re: Got Surround Blues, help??
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
I am surprised at the suggestion that digital signals sent via coaxial and optical digital connections from a source unit to a DAC (the 990's or anybody's) could result in differences in audio lag over any length of cable less than ten thousand miles or so. Has anyone actual evidence or experience that this is so?

#67634 - 02/28/08 12:27 AM Re: Got Surround Blues, help??
Lee Bailey Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madera,CA.USA
Just provides one less source of signal conversion by going with cable vs optical. I think you may just want to try the recommendation on changing your speaker distance settings.
L/C/R: Ascend Acoustics 340M/C/M
L&R Surrounds: Ascend Acoustics CBM 170
SVS 25-31PC
Panasonic BD55K Blu-Ray Player
Dishnetwork VIP722 HD/PVR.

#67635 - 02/28/08 04:36 AM Re: Got Surround Blues, help??
alphanstein Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by psyprof1:
I am surprised at the suggestion that digital signals sent via coaxial and optical digital connections from a source unit to a DAC (the 990's or anybody's) could result in differences in audio lag over any length of cable less than ten thousand miles or so. Has anyone actual evidence or experience that this is so?
My suggestion was not related to cables causing the delay, but more so that the codecs on the transmit and receive end for the coax and optical are different silicon/hardware within the units, typically shared silicon on the same IC, but also a different functional block within the audio codecs if they are hardware implementations in silicon. Hence, they could present the issue for the synch with the digital video stream depending on their implementations in hardware. There could also be an implementation where they are software codecs that runs on a DSP which can still present a problem.

#67636 - 02/28/08 04:49 AM Re: Got Surround Blues, help??
Altec Offline
Desperado

Lip sync issues are totally the fault of the broadcasters. The reason for the sync issue is that audio signals pass through the various DSP stages in the broadcast station faster than the video signals, since video is much more math-intensive to process than audio.

Unfortunately it is left up to the home user to set "compensating" delays for the audio in order to get things back into sync. This sucks, but it is just a fact of life.

You can try to call and complain to the originating station, but I wouldn't bet on much action.

#67637 - 02/28/08 05:23 PM Re: Got Surround Blues, help??
UMtiger Offline
Gunslinger

Not meaning to detract from all the great sharing of communication, but I was hoping to get more "out of the box" suggestive ideas on how to address the audio lagging behind the video. This is mainly on DVD. Thanks again.

#67638 - 02/28/08 05:35 PM Re: Got Surround Blues, help??
alphanstein Offline
Gunslinger

If by 4 of every 5 movies on DVD, then you should probably fix this by adjusting the lip synch delay for the assigned DVD input on the 990. That is, if the delay is consistently always the same delay. Which Pioneer DVD player do you have?

On the player, you can also try to change the settings for the output, ie dobly digital or PCM stream. You also want to make sure that if you have a DVD Audio/SACD DVD Pioneer, that you don't set the speaker distances and sizes here and also on the 990. I only use my 990 for speaker settings and the Pioneer settings are off/full range.

#67639 - 02/28/08 05:41 PM Re: Got Surround Blues, help??
UMtiger Offline
Gunslinger

It is the DV 563-A. I have the delay for the dvd input set to 0 on the 990. Moving up the scale will only make the audio lag more. I will double check the output and get back.

#67640 - 02/28/08 06:10 PM Re: Got Surround Blues, help??
UMtiger Offline
Gunslinger

alphanstein
settings within the dvd player:
speaker distance 10 ft
audio output 2 channel
digital, dolby,dts, all on
linear pcm off

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts