Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#6736 - 07/30/08 04:38 PM help with recessed lighting fixture vibration
Fredneck Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Frederick, MD
I like to listen to music and movies very loud. I have Axiom speakers and an Outlaw LFM 1EX sub, run with a 990/7500. It does play loud, which I like, but I have a few recessed lighting fixtures in my HT that have a "wall washer" insert in them (to direct the light onto the wall, not straight down). Anyway, they are essentially just half-moon shaped metal plates that cover the light opening. They free float in the light opening so they can be turned to adjust the path of the light. When I really crank thinks up, the metal cover vibrates and starts to spin around. The result is a buzzing sound that is quite annoying. I would try jamming some foam up there or something to dampen the vibration, but the light gets pretty hot and I wouldn't want to create a fire hazzard. Of course, one solution would be to turn down the sound, but I don't want to do that eek

Any suggestions?

#6737 - 07/30/08 05:14 PM Re: help with recessed lighting fixture vibration
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I've got a couple possibly crazy thoughts...

I might try getting some thin armaflex or other insulation material from the hardware store and cutting it up a bit into pieces that could be good wedges. We put armaflex on pipes carrying 200 degree water, so I'd think it would be comfortable a couple inches from an incandescent bulb. Another thought (not having taken apart a wall-washer recently) would be to pull the trim off the can light and use a few sheet metal screws or something to affix the aperture to the frame so it can wander and vibrate, but I don't know if that'll work structurally and it will make it effectively impossible to adjust your aiming later.

#6738 - 07/30/08 05:24 PM Re: help with recessed lighting fixture vibration
Fredneck Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Frederick, MD
Both excellent suggestions. Thanks gonk!

#6739 - 07/31/08 02:30 AM Re: help with recessed lighting fixture vibration
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Glad to help. Hope you get the lights under control soon.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts