Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#66473 - 10/19/07 11:52 AM 990 vs. Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Somewhere in Virginia
Well Outlaw members, haven't posted in a while but as you can tell by my title, I'm up to no good laugh This week I purchased pratically a brand new Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi receiver for next to nothing price wise to possibly serve as a pre/amp in place of the 990 till Outlaw releases the updated model 990. I was hoping to get the unit before the weekend to do a side-by-side compairison but doesn't look like it will arrive till Monday.

I've been very pleased with my 990/7700 combo since day one but with the lack of HDMI switching, I just have way to many switches in my setup which gets annoying even with macros programmed into my URC. As I stated before, if I decide to keep the Elite this is without a doubt only a temporary solution until Outlaw releases the new 990. I already made up my mind that Outlaw has a customer for life when I first received my 990/7700 combo but at the price I paid for the Elite, I figured I'd give it a test run. I HAVE NOT sold my 990 yet for the simple fact that I've grown to love the unit so much I'm almost scared to sell it until I can compair the two units.

Long story short, I will be doing a review of the two units as soon as I can get them in place so stay tuned. For all I know, may be re-selling the Elite and keeping the 990, only "listening" time will tell. wink

#66474 - 10/19/07 10:58 PM Re: 990 vs. Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

What, no comments, lol.

#66475 - 10/20/07 05:19 AM Re: 990 vs. Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
I had an Elite receiver (VSX-43TX) before getting my 990 and five M2200s. I tried out the Elite as a pre/pro with the monoblocks and then I put the 990 with the amps. There was a big improvement with the Elite combined with separate amps over the internal Elite amp section but the M2200s with the 990 was so much better than the Elite alone or the Elite with the monoblocks I knew the Elite was headed to eBay. Now, the 43TX is not the 84TX but I'm betting your 990/7700 will smoke the 84TX or the 84TX with the 7700. I'd look for another way to switch HDMI sources versus replacing the 990 with an Elite receiver. Just my two cents.

Oh, I returned the M2200s and just before the Outlaw 7500 came out I got a great deal on the ATI 2005 which is essentially the same as the 7500.

#66476 - 10/22/07 03:23 AM Re: 990 vs. Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'll be curious to hear what your findings are, grimster.

Did you get it for the extra HDMI inputs, or for the HDMI v1.x audio support? I ask in part because I have been experimenting with ways to augment the 990's DVI/HDMI switching lately (see my HM-31 notes )...

#66477 - 10/22/07 09:24 AM Re: 990 vs. Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk, basically purchased the unit for the v1.2 audio support as well as the switching abilities. I have way to many switches in my setup and just looking to simplify things a little. With audio quality being my main goal, if the Elite doesn't step up to the plate like the 990, it will be re-sold within a week. I should be receiving the Elite today, Monday, Oct. 22nd. and the unit will have a week to stand up to its name.

#66478 - 10/24/07 10:37 AM Re: 990 vs. Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

Well guys, received my VSX-84TXSi Elite receiver Monday and after close inspection, the unit is flawless minus some of the flaps missing on the fiber optic connectors which apparently is an overall problem for Pioneer. As far as the flaps go, the seller contacted Pioneer and the seller is sending me the replacement parts and I should be receiving them this week.

Anyways, you would not believe the cabling I've eliminated just swapping units out. Here is the problem I've run into since hooking the unit up which I'm still not finished doing yet. Once I hooked up all cables I have a really, really bad buzzing sound coming out of the speakers. I think I've narrowed it down but I need some help just to make sure. When powering up the receiver and amp, IF the HDMI cable is disconnected, I do not get the buzzing sound, as soon as I reconnect the HDMI cable, it comes back. I've tried 3 different HDMI cables with the same results. Now here is where it gets interesting, instead of running my HDMI cable from the receiver to my wall plate, which then runs to the projector, I tried running direct from the receiver to the projector and get the same thing. This is what I tried next and I'm not sure what made me think of it but I grabbed one of those heavy duty extension cords and plugged my projector into a totally different outlet instead of the one installed at the projector and with all the HDMI cables connected like they should be (from the receiver, to the wall plate then to the projector) the buzzing was gone.

I know very little about electricity other than the fact that it tingles when it bites but now I’m a little confused. When I was running the 990/7700 combo, I believe I had a similar problem with analog connections from the 990 to the amp but when I changed over to the balanced connections, the problem went away. I tried numerous analog connections from the Elite to the 7700 and still had the buzzing sound so I know it’s not bad cables. The other thing I noticed yesterday was if my satellite box was connected to the Elite via HDMI, the buzzing was worse. What I don’t understand is, when I ran my HDMI cables to the Monoprice switcher, then to the wall plate, I had no buzzing sounds either.

I’m at a loss here as to what could be causing the problem. Is it that the receptacle to the projector could be causing my problem? I believe the electrician that ran the line for the receptacle in my ceiling used the same line that’s attached to my recessed lighting. Is it that my satellite box is causing the electrical buzzing sound, I just don’t know. I want to say it’s probably going to be a combination of both but I’m just not sure how to eliminate it. The other thing I did was run my speaker wires directly to the Elite to see if I still get the buzzing without even connecting the amp and I do still get the buzzing sound just not as loud. So, with everything said, what other help can anyone offer? What other configurations can I try to try and narrow it down to what is causing the buzzing sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#66479 - 10/24/07 12:01 PM Re: 990 vs. Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Your description of changing where the projector was plugged in suggests that the projector is on a different circuit than the rest of the equipment, which matches the electrician borrowing from a lighting circuit. Is that recessed lighting on a dimmer? Does the buzzing happen when the lights are turned off entirely? It's possible that the noise typically dumped onto a circuit by a dimmer could be traveling from projector to the Elite and producing the hum - and having a separate switcher in front of the wall plate might have provided a buffer (although I'm not sure exactly how).

#66480 - 10/24/07 12:21 PM Re: 990 vs. Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

Hey Gonk, the buzz is there whether the lights are ON or OFF. The recessed lighting front and rear are both on Lutron dimmers. Should I try and run the extension cord from the projector to the same spot the receiver is plugged into? If I still get the buzzing sound, what does this prove? When I get home from work this afternoon I'm going to take the Elite upstairs to see if I can reproduce the same problems on the upstairs rig, try and rule out the receivers HDMI inputs being the problem.

#66481 - 10/24/07 01:04 PM Re: 990 vs. Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi
Lee Bailey Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madera,CA.USA
You've already proven that the projector is at fault here. Apparently, it's a ground loop caused by the projector's electrical circuit not being at the same ground potential as the rest of your equipment.
L/C/R: Ascend Acoustics 340M/C/M
L&R Surrounds: Ascend Acoustics CBM 170
SVS 25-31PC
Panasonic BD55K Blu-Ray Player
Dishnetwork VIP722 HD/PVR.

#66482 - 10/24/07 01:14 PM Re: 990 vs. Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

When I go home at lunch time I'll run the power of the projector to the same outlet as the Elite receiver to see if this eliminates the buzzing sound. I'll report back my findings after lunch. Thanks guys.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 123 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts