Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#66138 - 09/10/07 12:03 AM 2 channel Sub Offset
KMDonlon Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I am puzzled and wondering if anyone else has this problem. I read all about the 2 channel sub offset and understand what it is for (great feature btw) but have had the exact opposite problem. I am mainly a 2 channel listener but do pop in a DVD from time to time. My trouble is after I have all the levels, crossover setting, delay, etc set for upsample mode to listen to CDs, I find that the sub level is much too high when watching DVDs with Dolby Digital or DTS. So it seems I have the normal problem of most but in reverse. Or I am an idiot and missed the obvious. Any thoughts guys?

When it sounds right, it's magic!

#66139 - 09/10/07 04:13 AM Re: 2 channel Sub Offset
jrlouie Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Missouri
Not that I currently have that situation, but I have in the past wished the sub offset went in both directions. I think I must have things dialed in to middle ground somehow and haven't noticed it in a long time.

#66140 - 09/10/07 01:54 PM Re: 2 channel Sub Offset
wolverine Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor
I may have an idea...

In the 990 channel calibration setup menu, what is your current sub level in dB for multichannel? What is your current 2-CH offset when UPSAMPLE sounds right?

How many dB do you need to turn down your sub for DD/DTS to be correct?

On yeah, are your front speakers set for SMALL or LARGE? If you are set to LARGE, there may be more questions!

#66141 - 09/10/07 03:27 PM Re: 2 channel Sub Offset
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
You might also want to play around with the crossover settings for your surround channels. It may be set too high. [edit] or too low? (i.e. all speakers large)

Another "gotcha" is that some CD/DVD players apply their own bass management and/or speaker size settings.

Also keep in mind that musical material doesn't usually produce nearly the bass demand of your typical blockbuster movie.

#66142 - 09/10/07 04:45 PM Re: 2 channel Sub Offset
KMDonlon Offline
Gunslinger

All speakers set to small and cross'ed @ 80hz, I need to back up the sub about 6 or 7db.

#66143 - 09/10/07 05:38 PM Re: 2 channel Sub Offset
wolverine Offline
Gunslinger

The sub level for stereo/upsample is a combination of the overall sub calibration level in the multichannel setup and the 2-ch sub offset. They add together. DVDs in DD/DTS/PLIIx/7.1 analog are only set by the main multichannel calibration levels.

If your 2-ch offset is -6 or -7 dB, you should probably try turning down the overall multichannel sub calibration off by something like -4 or -5 dB below where it is now and then increasing the 2-ch sub offset by the same 4 or 5 dB up to -2 or -3 dB. As long as you down with one and up with the other by the same amount, the DVD sub level will decrease and the CD sub level will be back where you like it.

That is why I asked for both you 2-ch sub offset and the overall sub calibration level in the multichannel setup menu.

Does this make sense, or am I totally misunderstanding your problem?

#66144 - 09/10/07 06:10 PM Re: 2 channel Sub Offset
KMDonlon Offline
Gunslinger

Now I am confused. I have the sub level set perfect in upsample but if I go to a dvd 5.1 music concert, the sub is over powering and I need to cut it back about 6 or 7db. The offset will only cut back the sub level when I return to upsample, not increase it right??

#66145 - 09/10/07 06:49 PM Re: 2 channel Sub Offset
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I haven't followed this thread like I should, so you may have already done this, but I'd start out by calibrating the system in a surround mode (either using the internal test tones or a disc like Digital Video Essentials, AVIA, or GetGray) first, such that 5.1 content sounds right first. Then I'd dial in my sub for two-channel, looking at both front crossover and two-channel sub offset. Also, you might want to try more than one 5.1 concert disc to make sure your original setup is good. I was checking out one disc with another forum member (UMtiger) a few weeks ago, and we both found that the surround mix was very disappointing - no fault of the player, processor, amp, or speakers, but simply because the sound mix was weak. We were focusing mostly on the front soundstage (dialing in a few new speakers) and there was no sub present, but the same principle could apply here. In that case, using the stereo audio track was much more pleasing, and some other 5.1 music samples I brought along sounded fine.

#66146 - 09/10/07 07:11 PM Re: 2 channel Sub Offset
KMDonlon Offline
Gunslinger

I tried all the obvious stuff, I am just surprised that this is the case. Usually the exact opposite is the case. Perhaps a firmware update which would allow the user to adjust up or down would solve the problem. I am stumped at this point.

#66147 - 09/10/07 10:46 PM Re: 2 channel Sub Offset
wolverine Offline
Gunslinger

Now I am confused. I have the sub level set perfect in upsample but if I go to a dvd 5.1 music concert, the sub is over powering and I need to cut it back about 6 or 7db. The offset will only cut back the sub level when I return to upsample, not increase it right??

I refrained for going back to recommend you set up from the beginning as Gonk said, but that is the best (he always knows best!). Set up completely for multichannel, get the sub level set well for a few disks. Then set the 2-ch sub offset for CDs in upsample.

But I think the answer to your question is yes, BUT... The offset only changes the sub level for 2-channel (stereo/upsample), BUT it is relative to however you have the main sub level set in the main multichannel calibration. So if the main one is too high (which you indicate is the case for DVDs) then you need too large a negative offset for CDs to sound good. If you set the 2-ch offset to 0 dB and then compensated in the main multichannel sub level by turning it down 6 or 7 dB from wherever it is set now, it sound like both CDs and DVDs might both be OK. As you suspect most people here find once the sub level is set for 5.1, they need to back off the 2-ch offset by a couple of dB for 2-channel CDs.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts