Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#6506 - 04/11/06 08:57 AM Re: New Speakers pose acoustic problems
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
By this point, I think everybody has their own opinion about what spikes actually do. So, here's an independent article from on the web:

http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/AudioMisc/cones/speak.html

I, for one, agree with most of the points in the article. I still think that if you're looking to reduce muddiness you're better off isolating the speaker and/or stand from the floor by using something like the Auralex GRAMMA mentioned above.

#6507 - 04/11/06 05:12 PM Re: New Speakers pose acoustic problems
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
i for one dont put much stock in speaker spikes/stands. they have their uses (uneven floors, better placement allowment, etc.), but if i were to get anything, i wouldnt spend much money on it. if(edit) the purpose of spikes is to decouple the speaker from the floor, to in turn place the spike in a disc defeats that purpose... they are personal preference imo. there are better places to spend your money.

#6508 - 04/12/06 08:35 AM Re: New Speakers pose acoustic problems
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
the purpose of spikes is to decouple the speaker from the floor, to in turn place the spike in a disc defeats that purpose...
Please read the linked article. It describes just how wrong this viewpoint is much better than I could write.

#6509 - 04/12/06 01:04 PM Re: New Speakers pose acoustic problems
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon
Heh yeah, the purpose of spikes is not to decouple the speakers from the floor, but to do just the opposite. In effect, to provide the speakers with much more solid footing than if they were just sitting on top of the carpet.

Totally not necessary when you are on hardwood floors as well.

#6510 - 04/13/06 10:48 AM Re: New Speakers pose acoustic problems
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
yeah, so i meant to say "if" the purpose... i have edited that post to reflect what i wanted to say.

i dont see how cones would increase vibrations, but the point is moot because i dont and wont use speaker cones...

#6511 - 04/13/06 08:11 PM Re: New Speakers pose acoustic problems
tmdlp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big D, Tx
ronrags,
just a thought - i'm running into bass issues myself. So i'm looking into bass traps. I found some DIY on the web.
there have been some good threads on the topic in the hideout.
good luck.

#6512 - 04/17/06 10:01 AM Re: New Speakers pose acoustic problems
ronrags Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NJ
Thanks for your opinions. I guess I'm just being too critical with my system.

Ron

#6513 - 04/21/06 11:11 AM Re: New Speakers pose acoustic problems
Matt Boughan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Richmond, VA
I was just going to mention Bass Traps. Looks like somebody beat me to it though. Sounds like you are fighting a Standing Wave problem. Waves collect in corners of the room (two waves reflecting off of two walls 90 degrees from eachother will converge on eachother and cancel out in spots and amplify in other spots in the room, resulting in a warbling boomy effect). The tricorners at the ceiling and floor corners of the room are the main culprits. Im a sales guy, but not really trying to sell here, was just zooming through the net and caught this thread, thought my input may be of use to you all. 3-4" foam behind the speaker will help too, and in my opionion, sub woofers should energize air in the room, not the room structure, so I vote for isolating your subs as well. Check us out though: www.acousticalsolutions.com

--Later

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 69 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts