Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#64269 - 03/12/07 10:47 AM Re: HUM HELP
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ontairo, Canada
taylodr and Hullguy,

thank you for the responses and explanations. A UPS would be most useful for my computer, if I were employed to engage with it. Otherwise, if there's a power outage, I have candles! In other words, I wouldn't be concerned about backup.

My main interest is only in eliminating hum, from my toroidal transformers (now I'm wondering if my plasma is also affected). The 20amp SurgeX surge protector has also the noise filtering, but for about half the price of the Tripp UPS.

Given my circumstances and needs, how would you advise? Would the 20amp SurgeX suffice or would the UPS condition the power more effectively? And, how would something like a Shunyata Hydra 6 compare, or is this more hype than an effective solution to a transformer hum problem?

Also, as I explained, this house was built in 61, the service upgraded in 85 to 100amps. The house was built with three wire, with a ground wire, but only the boxes were grounded as the sockets were without the ground receptacle. So, when I purchased the house, two years ago, I installed all new receptacles and grounded each, the boxes and sockets. The main power box is grounded to a rod that's driven into the ground at the other end of the house, connected with a heavy, braided, copper cable.

Any and all info, appreciated.

thanks,

John

#64270 - 03/12/07 11:36 AM Re: HUM HELP
taylodr Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Richmond, VA
I would say try the cheapest solution first, making sure you can return it. I might ruffle a few feathers, but I personally don't see what a lot of these "high end" power filters do. (I do understand that people who have the money to spend that can "hear" the difference - real or immagined - that is great, I am all for everyone being happy with their own system.) The surgeX devices are designed to help filter that exact type of hum.
Monitor Audio LCR
Philips Ambilight 42" HD Plasma
Project Debut III

#64271 - 03/12/07 12:40 PM Re: HUM HELP
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

taylodr,

that's what I'm interested in, filtering toroidal hum, primarily. Whether there's a qualitative improvement in sound is a secondary concern.

So, you think the SurgeX attempt is the way to go, then? I know the AV installers rave about these things.

There's a music shop, here in town, that's willing to order one in for me. I'll ask about the return policy.

thanks,

John

#64272 - 03/12/07 02:24 PM Re: HUM HELP
jrlouie Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Missouri
I had the same issue in my last apartment (toroidal hum/buzz). I added a Panamax line conditioner but it did not help. From what I researched it was most likely caused by other electronics bleeding over DC onto the lines making them dirty. This DC makes the transformers in amps go crazy. Some amps have more tightly wound (and glued) wiring in their transformers and exhibit the buzz less often. For what it is worth, I unplugged everything in my apartment and even flipped off all unused breakers, but still had the hum/buzz. My only conclusion was that the apartment complex in general had dirty lines. Of course, I'm no electrician, so who knows wink I just knew I'd be moving eventually so I dealt with it.
I have since moved and no longer have toroidal hum smile
For what it's worth, PS Audio claims to have a product that'll remove all DC from your lines.
http://www.psaudio.com/products/humbusterac.asp
I neither promote nor discourage this product as I haven't used it. I have no idea if it would solve your problem. But, I just thought you might enjoy the reading.
Sorry to put even more options out there wink

#64273 - 03/12/07 02:33 PM Re: HUM HELP
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

jrlouie,

please, no appologies! Any and all information is helpful. And, actually, this is the cheapest approach, so far!

I will look into it, further. The hum, late at night, destroys the joy of hifi audio!

Thanks, JR!

John

#64274 - 03/12/07 02:46 PM Re: HUM HELP
taylodr Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Richmond, VA
You know, I just had a thought. The other appliance thing got to me. Check your panel again. Make sure that 1. your neutral bar is properly connected to your ground bar and 2. your ground is sufficient.

I am really beginning to think that you have a poor ground, and you are building up excess niose on your neutral. It is possible that your ground is not great, and you may help by creating an additional ground.
Monitor Audio LCR
Philips Ambilight 42" HD Plasma
Project Debut III

#64275 - 03/12/07 02:53 PM Re: HUM HELP
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

taylodr,

I'm obviously no electrician, but, can I check the ground by using an ohmmeter to check resistance between the ground in the main panel and, say, the ground of my nearby water pipe?

thanks,

John

#64276 - 03/12/07 03:12 PM Re: HUM HELP
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

taylodr,

I checked and you're right, the incoming ground wire/cable, the copper water pipe and the main panel's ground, all show zero resistance when I check between them.

How do I check if my neutral bar is properly connected to my ground bar?

Some of the ground wires seem precariously attached to the main panel’s ground bar. I'll have a better look in a minute.

One other thing, at the bottom of the panel, there's a transformer and I'm pretty sure it's for the doorbell system, of the house. It makes a constant buzzing noise ... 24/7. Does this mean anything, is it helpful, in any way?

thanks,

John

#64277 - 03/12/07 03:57 PM Re: HUM HELP
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

I've taken a closer look and it appears that the electrician that changed out the panel, in 1985, took the ground wires from the various lines in, twisted them into one connection, with a marr connector and grounded three or four lines in, with one ground wire.

Also, my amplifier does not have a ground prong, just a post on the back which allows you to ground it, if you so wish, which I have done.

Thank you all for this,

John

#64278 - 03/14/07 10:22 AM Re: HUM HELP
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Bump ...

what, did I scare everyone away?

John

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 187 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts