Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#63757 - 01/26/07 08:08 AM INCREDIBLE SOUND with internet radio!
AARONMADLER Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Needham, MA
This is too good to be true! The 990 has a capability that I bet not many people are using and should. I was perplexed about the hook up of the analog connection between my computer and the RCA jacks on my 990. The buzzing was terrible.

I called Steve and he said absolutely go out and purchase a USB 2.0 cable and I did. The difference is beyond belief. I purchased the cable at Staples for $19.99 and the sound is amazing.

I couldn't believe that for less than $20.00 a person could gain so much pleasure from the 990. I'll mention a few steps:

1: Buy USB 2.0 high-speed cable. 6-11 feet ($20.00-$30.00)
2: Plug rectangular end into computer and square end into 990.
3: Go to internet and type in WQXR.
4: At the top click "Listen Now!" in red
5: Then, depending upon your internet connection, click whichever one you would like. At first I clicked Media Player (High), but it didn't work. I then clicked RealPlayer (High).
6: Go to OSD by clicking on MENU
7: Go into the OSD and INPUT CONFIG
8: Go to AUDIO INPUTS
9: Go to AUX
10: Go to AUDIO and scroll to USB
11: Click on AUX on Remote and you should be listening to crystal clear music that will blow you away.

Try any station on the internet as they are too numerous to mention. As you can tell, I'm extremely impressed with this feature. I would love to hear anybody's feedback after trying this. Good luck and have fun!

Outlaw 990, Aragon 8008X3, 8008, Denon 3930CI, Dahlquist DQ20, Outlaw LFM-1+, Paradigm Atom, Mtrola DCT3416 I

#63758 - 01/26/07 09:51 AM Re: INCREDIBLE SOUND with internet radio!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I agree that if your computer and 990 are in close proximity such that you can get a USB connection, it's pretty handy and almost too easy to pass up. I've done it a bit with our old laptop just to play around and was pleased with the results, but it's not convenient long-term for us.

#63759 - 01/26/07 11:08 AM Re: INCREDIBLE SOUND with internet radio!
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
I notice you have the Oppo DV981H, I have the 970HD with the USB Reader, so I have two options laugh . Well, kind of, I can't do streaming audio thru the Oppo - it has to be a file.

I like the Outlaw's USB port when I use it in conjunction with my favorite media management program (Amarok) but that means dragging my laptop around like gonk mentioned. I have not tried the streaming radio too much as most of the stations only offer low bit rate unless you $ubscribe. My favorite station, beethoven.com, only offers 22kbps for free, so I only listen to them at work thru computer speakers. I do get some radio shows as free podcasts at 192kbs which I save as mp3s and then play later but, honestly, not thru the 990 as I feel that downloading the individual song will get me closer to a 2nd or 3rd generation of the original recording. By the way, one of those shows I listen to is produced by my brother-in-law so I know that he plays some material from mp3s over the radio (the cat is officially out of the bag) eek .

You should try playing some good quality digital file that's not compressed too much and you'll be even more impressed (or disappointed about your radio station).

I have a 350GB external USB hard drive that I connect to my Oppo 970 and that's my usual setup at the moment. If I need to play some lossless or unusual audio format, or want to play a pre-arranged playlist, out comes the laptop cool

Who's Online
0 registered (), 96 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts