Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#63721 - 01/25/07 04:31 PM Very worried - apparently dead 990
Brian Quinn Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: USA
I'm very worried. My model 990 will now not turn on. I don't know when this started - I used the unit this morning with no problems, turned everything off, came back later this afternoon, and now the 990 is dead.

It will turn on momentarily, either using the remote, or the panel buttons - and the indicator light will turn blue. However, nothing comes up on the display - regardless of the input selected - and then, after 5 seconds or so, the 990 turns itself off (e.g., the indicator light goes back to amber.)

I've checked all connections on the 990, I've tried using every input, I've tried cutting power to both the 990 and all connected electronics for five minutes - and still no dice. I tried re-setting the 990 - and again, after holding down the buttons, the machine clicked on, but nothing came up on the display.

I could really use some help - I'm waiting to hear back from Outlaw Technical Support. Has anyone else encountered this issue? Any ideas for how to resolve it?

#63722 - 01/25/07 05:08 PM Re: Very worried - apparently dead 990
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
This is worrisome to me and probably everyone else who's read your message. The only thing I can think of to ask, is whether you've tried the 990 on another circuit in your house. Please let us all know the results of your Tech Support call.
Good luck.

#63723 - 01/29/07 06:39 PM Re: Very worried - apparently dead 990
Otto Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Longmont, Colorado
Can you attempt a firmware upgrade? See if it'll talk to the 990.

Check the "OPR - SVC" switch. Perhaps it somehow got switched to the SVC, or perhaps was never quite in OPR in the first place, or is dirty, etc.

Did you *remove* all connections and try powering on? Perhaps there's a fault or short somewhere that you can see, even though all seems like it's correctly hooked up.

Just a few random thoughts.

Good luck.

#63724 - 01/29/07 10:11 PM Re: Very worried - apparently dead 990
Brian Quinn Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: USA
I tried all of that - and even tried replacing the fuse, with Tech Support's guidance. No luck. And this isn't a power issue - I've got a high quality power regulator and surge protector, and every other piece of electronics that are plugged into that power unit are perfectly fine.

I shipped the unit back to Outlaw today (on my dime). Not terribly happy.

#63725 - 01/29/07 10:32 PM Re: Very worried - apparently dead 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
That's an odd situation. Hopefully Outlaw'll get it back up and running in short order, though. Let us know what the problem turns out to be.

#63726 - 02/07/07 09:24 AM Re: Very worried - apparently dead 990
jrlouie Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Missouri
I'm very interested in hearing the outcome of your situation. This morning, the same exact thing happened to me. You described word for word the symptoms my 990 exhibits. I did not have time to troubleshoot, but I will during lunch break wink Yeah, that's the only downfall is that shipping a unit back for warranty work costs the customer. Oh well.
Anyway, let us know what happens with yours.

#63727 - 02/07/07 11:56 AM Re: Very worried - apparently dead 990
Lonster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Eureka CA.
Brian Quinn and jrlouie,
did either of you perform the firmware upgrade? Or are your units still running the original firmware?
Mine is still working great, just wondering what's up.
Thanks,
Lonster

#63728 - 02/07/07 12:24 PM Re: Very worried - apparently dead 990
jrlouie Offline
Gunslinger

Mine has the latest firmware applied. I was listening to the 990 with "room 2" turned on (as I often do when I go to bed), and the main room was off. When I woke up I went out into the main room and when powering it up it would temporarily have the power lights blue and then flip to amber (off). Repeated attempts exhibited the same problem.
Not that this is a critical diagnostic factor, but when room 2 is on and room 1 is not, the 990 actually is still powered up (i.e. - blue lights). I do not know if the 990 had completely turned off (amber) over the course of the night since it was my girlfriend who first actually tried powering on room 1 in the morning. I doubt she remembers what color the lights were.
Either way now, from a complete powered off state and even unplugged, to powering it on, it still now never remains on.
I'll do a little more testing in about 1/2 hour.

#63729 - 02/07/07 02:09 PM Re: Very worried - apparently dead 990
jrlouie Offline
Gunslinger

Well, I was a bit rushed over the lunch break wink But, I managed to squeeze in a few minutes.
All I had time to do was...
-disconnect the power cord from 990
-unplug everything from the back of the unit, i mean everything
-plug the power cord back in
-tried powering it up to Video 1 and it did the same thing (lights turned blue, made one click as though it was trying, sat for a couple of seconds, automatically powered off and back to amber lights)

I didn't get a chance to try a system reset or anything like that. I can try a thing or two more this evening, but I think I'm running out of options.

#63730 - 02/07/07 03:53 PM Re: Very worried - apparently dead 990
earwit Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Texas
I hope this isn't contagious..

Well over the weekend, (Superbowl w/e) I tried to turn on my 990, which was in amber (standby mode), and the same thing happenned to me, tried to turn on 990 blue light goes on for a few seconds and clicks back to amber..Was using
current software.

Checked all connections, power etc, then reloaded
the software , could not get this thing to turn on, ,

My guess is that there is a problem with a relay or switch ...Sent unit to Outlaw....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts