Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#62944 - 11/28/06 09:56 PM Sub level control
mcleod Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Ontario, Canada
can anyone tell me if the remote for the 990 allows for instant access to the sub volume level without having to access a menu on the pre/pro.
I am in the final stages of deciding on a new pre/pro. Anybody who really listens to music can relate to just how irritating it is to have to get up and adjust the gain on your sub manually,
from track to track or from disc to disc.
Tweaking is just so important with the low frequencies to get it just right!

#62945 - 11/28/06 11:02 PM Re: Sub level control
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There is not a direct control to adjust sub level. It can be a problem for some, but there are some good tools in the 990 that can allow the sub to be integrated with the mains so that you don't necessarily have to ride the sub trim all the time. Between the adjustable crossovers and the two-channel sub offset (which allows the sub trim to be run up to 8dB lower when in a two-channel mode), you can dial it in pretty well.

#62946 - 11/28/06 11:23 PM Re: Sub level control
mcleod Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks very much for the quick reply.
I'm a real tweaker when I listen to my music.
I'm forever adjusting the sub level because none of the recordings are consistent, whether blues, R&B,Jazz and especially movies.
The tools in the 990 sound helpful, but if anybody at Outlaw is reading this, It is a feature that would truly be helpful and convenient.
There are a couple of competitors that offer a remote adjustment for sub level.
Thanks again gonk

#62947 - 11/29/06 10:47 AM Re: Sub level control
gonk Offline
Desperado

You mentioned in another thread that you are using Axiom M80 mains. Where do you cross them over to the sub? You could probably let the M80's run pretty low and only cross over to the sub at 60Hz or possibly even 40Hz, so that the sub stayed pretty quiet with music.

#62948 - 11/30/06 07:47 AM Re: Sub level control
mcleod Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

MY m80's are crossed over at the pre-determined 80 hz of my NAD T-770.
I recently purchased the Axiom Epic 80 system with an EP-500 sub
I am replacing my T770 to allow more flexibility in that regard, as well as upgrading the wattage.
I have not ruled out another receiver, however, I really want to have access to the sub level without needing to access a menu.
The Outlaw 7125 is certainly getting alot of good press. If I could find a pre/pro with the sub volume on the remote, I'd likely give that combo a whirl.
Thanks again for your comments Gonk

#62949 - 11/30/06 09:28 AM Re: Sub level control
Nalod Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NC
The Velodyne SMS-1 might work.

It may eliminate the need for excessive tweeking, and the volume control is nice.

WIth 6 presets available and volumne, it might do the trick.
Lfm-plus
MK Vx850 sub
velodyne Sms-1
MK 850 LCR
MK CS surround
Outlaw Balanced Cable (ouch!)
Lots of Bluejean fancy cables
Oppo SACD/DVD-A
38inch Loewe Aconda
Panamax 500
Monster Power 3500

#62950 - 11/30/06 10:14 AM Re: Sub level control
gonk Offline
Desperado

It's a bit expensive, but the SMS-1 would provide a dedicated remote sub volume control and would be an excellent way to integrate the sub with the rest of the system - to the point where you might find your volume tweaking days behind you. In fact, some of that tweaking may be the result of you trying to compensate for a null or peak under 80Hz that is obscuring sounds at other frequencies...

We all take different approaches to how we set up and use our systems, but I've always tried to find a way to get the sub integrated with the mains such that the two blended without the sub calling undue attention to itself or being left out. By being able to set the crossover point so that my mains handle everything down as far as they can effectively go (as is possible with the 990's quad crossover system) and tinkering just a bit with my sub trim, I was able to get my LFM-1 to blend quite well with my Paradigm Studio 60's prior to getting the SMS-1. Once I had the SMS-1, I actually raised the crossover so that the SMS-1 could correct for a problem spot at 63Hz. Being able to use a test tone to achieve both flat frequency response across the sub's full range of activity and equal level with the mains is really the ideal for sub integration. That's just me, though, and what works for me won't work for everybody.

#62951 - 11/30/06 12:50 PM Re: Sub level control
mcleod Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks again gentlemen.
I will look into the SMS-1.
A quick question for you gonk.(comments welcomed from anyone)
Can I assume that you have set up your sub in a surround configuration and never have to play around with the gain for different playback sources, especially at reference levels.
That, to me, would be Mastercard priceless!If so, I'm doing something very wrong.Thanks again

#62952 - 11/30/06 02:16 PM Re: Sub level control
Nalod Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NC
The folks at M&K suggested to me to trust the 990 cross over and turn off the cross over on sub.

In other words "Open it all the way up".

Why have two crossovers? Makes sense.
I did this also and found the sound more smooth. They said to experiement with the 990 cross over to what sounds best, not the sub.

Im still working on it and perhaps I will for a while.

The SMS will give you 5 different settings you can configure. While tweaking is necessary as not all material is the same, I think for the most part you can create what you need between those settings and the volume without having to keep getting up.

I think the SMS will also assist in the polarity.
Lfm-plus
MK Vx850 sub
velodyne Sms-1
MK 850 LCR
MK CS surround
Outlaw Balanced Cable (ouch!)
Lots of Bluejean fancy cables
Oppo SACD/DVD-A
38inch Loewe Aconda
Panamax 500
Monster Power 3500

#62953 - 11/30/06 02:36 PM Re: Sub level control
gonk Offline
Desperado

I agree with M&K, Nalod - the crossover in the sub originally appeared because receivers didn't perform any bass management. Once receivers and processors began providing effective bass management (something that Outlaw has put a lot of emphasis on even back in the days of the Model 1050), the sub's crossover isn't needed.

With a well-chosen crossover point, some care given to phase (the EP-500 offers 0 and 180 degree settings), and a little fine-tuning of the sub trim setting, you should be able to get a smooth integration of sub and mains even without a device like the SMS-1. Using that approach, I have been able to integrate my sub with speakers such that I didn't have to tinker to get positive results. With my old sub (an SVS 25-31PCi) and old house, I had to lower the mains crossover to 40Hz to achieve that, as 60Hz or 80Hz crossovers yielded too much boom in music. With our the den of our new house and the LFM-1, I was able to get a great integration of sub with speakers at a 60Hz crossover.

The SMS-1 will simplify this process by offering greater control over the phase (15 degree intervals) and by providing visual aids (frequency response graph up to around 200Hz). Check out the Outlaw Guide for some idea of what the SMS-1 does for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts