Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#62939 - 11/28/06 02:02 PM Newbie guide to choosing Outlaw
Nalod Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NC
a few years ago I bought an LFM-1 based on many positive reviews. What I kept reading was that it was not the best sub, but it matched up great with subs costing over $1000! So for the money, it was a great deal!

I recently purchased a 990-7500 combo. I kept reading that for the money it was nothing short of a great deal!

Where I live There is not much opportunity to audition many products and compare. I realize the capital outlay based on faith and opinion of others is a leap!

I appreciate all the reviews and especially guys like MKtheatre who will literally test many many products. I got mine before he actually settled on his 990 but his critique, like others leads to a similar outcome.

YOU CAN'T DO WRONG FOR THE MONEY!

Granted, this is not the best way to approach this and like I said, I would prefer to audition a few choices first, But time does not allow me this.

In the end, I think I am getting my money's worth and the bottom line is my system is coming together very nicely.

This forum site alone has helped me get up to speed on many issues on things I have yet to learn.

For newbies looking to answer the question: Is there anything better? Perhaps there is, perhaps there is not. Its also very subjective what different people like.

Im going to go back now and reread many of the reviews as now I have a better understanding of what they are saying! The good and the bad!
Lfm-plus
MK Vx850 sub
velodyne Sms-1
MK 850 LCR
MK CS surround
Outlaw Balanced Cable (ouch!)
Lots of Bluejean fancy cables
Oppo SACD/DVD-A
38inch Loewe Aconda
Panamax 500
Monster Power 3500

#62940 - 11/28/06 04:51 PM Re: Newbie guide to choosing Outlaw
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
Nalod:

I also enjoy re-reading reviews of equipment I have subsequently purchased. I think your point of reference is much better after experiencing the equipment first-hand. It is also a way to calibrate your ear against the reviewers.

As to value for the money, I agree Outlaw products offer a big bang for the buck. Is there better performance out there? You bet!
However, for those of us who do not have the space or money for cost-no-object systems, it all comes down to a question of compromise.

For my needs and budget, I gravitate mostly toward gear that, for the masses, would seem somewhat extravangant, but in terms of an audiophile's performance measure, is only at the threshold of entry level.

From my years in the hobby, including retail sales, anything beyond that becomes a pursuit of diminishing returns (IMHO). Depending upon the component, you often have to spend 2-3 times more to get incremental improvements.
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#62941 - 11/28/06 05:23 PM Re: Newbie guide to choosing Outlaw
mktheater Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NY
I could vouch for the 990. I own a gemstone amp. I have been through ADA suite 7.1($3500), ADA cinema rhapsody 1 and 2($5000), ADA cinema reference($8000), krell HTS($6000), Lexicon dc2 and MC1, B&K ref 20, and 30, Mcintosh msd4, Mcintosh MX-132($7000), Meridian 568($7000), Meridian 861($15000), and a few other processors. The outlaw 990 for 7.1 sound is better than most of the above mentioned and equal to others. If you want clarity, detail, and accuracy, then it is hard to beat the 990, regardless of price. The meridian 861 is a little smoother on top, the Mcintosh and ADA are just as good as the 990. The 990 looses on build quality to all. If you want warm, look elswhere.

#62942 - 11/29/06 11:12 AM Re: Newbie guide to choosing Outlaw
mktheater Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NY
Oh I forgot, I also owned the Emotiva DMC-1. I would not worry about if there is something better. That depends on the listener. Better also has many variables. When I talk about better, I am only speaking about sound quality as it pertains to 5.1 or 7.1. Not music, not build quality, not features, upgradeability, video switching, etc.... The outlaw 990 is a great theater processor regardless of price.

#62943 - 11/29/06 03:44 PM Re: Newbie guide to choosing Outlaw
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
I bought my 990 for stereo music listening primarily and HT very much secondarily. That reflects the realities of my listening / entertainment life style and it's not about to change. I still think I chose well but might get really interested if any of the Outlaws began discussing a (probably hardware) upgrade to the last stage of the audio line affecting the front left and right (stereo) outputs. There, and also in the phono preamp, are the places where I'd pay for improvement in the 990's already good performance.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts