Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#62900 - 11/27/06 08:35 PM Re: Cable connections
Nalod Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NC
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
The OPPO's DAC's are not as high quality as the 990's, which is probably why the CD's sounded a bit thin. Try this combo for CD playback: configure the CD input to use the OPPO's digital audio connection (the same one that you assigned to DVD for watching movies on the OPPO), set the processing to "Upsample" and go to town. This way, you can have the OPPO set up with the DVD input (digital audio plus component) for watching DVD's, the CD input for listening to CD's with the 990's DAC's, and the 7.1 Direct input for DVD-Audio and SACD.
+

Gonk,

I set the Oppo on 7.1 input, and DVD as the Video.
Should I have used DVD input, DVD as the Video and the???? as the audio? The manual does not address enough the 7.1 input. I used 5.1 from the oppo into the 990. the 7.1 input does not allow for any upsample or any modes at all. I suppose this is the SACD way??

Are you saying I should change it? Or add a optical or coaxial "digital" output form the oppo to the 990???

By the way, you have saved me a lot of time hunting these things down. Thank you!

Or do
Lfm-plus
MK Vx850 sub
velodyne Sms-1
MK 850 LCR
MK CS surround
Outlaw Balanced Cable (ouch!)
Lots of Bluejean fancy cables
Oppo SACD/DVD-A
38inch Loewe Aconda
Panamax 500
Monster Power 3500

#62901 - 11/27/06 09:12 PM Re: Cable connections
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The 7.1 Direct input should only be used for SACD and DVD-Audio - for everything else, you want to use the OPPO's digital output so you can get the 990's better DAC's and (even moreso) the additional surround processing options. Here's the way I'd set it up: 7.1 Direct can use the Component-DVD video input (a very convenient trick, in fact), but the DVD input should also use the Component-DVD video input and the digital audio connection (optical or coaxial, there's no definitive difference between them) and should be used for watching DVD-Video discs. Setting the CD input up with the same digital audio input as the DVD is a convenient way to listen to CD's in stereo and watch DVD's in surround without having to touch the surround mode buttons - just a little "cheat" so to speak.

#62902 - 11/28/06 10:13 AM Re: Cable connections
Nalod Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk,

I understand better now, thank you!

I appreciate your "downconverting" the answer!

Im getting there.

I an unfamiiar with digital audio connections.

Which of these might be best to configure as you suggested? http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm

Thank you again for helping in my quest to a finer Outlaw experience and faster financial insolvency!
Lfm-plus
MK Vx850 sub
velodyne Sms-1
MK 850 LCR
MK CS surround
Oppo SACD/DVD-A
38inch Loewe Aconda
Panamax 500
Monster Power 3500

#62903 - 11/28/06 10:17 AM Re: Cable connections
Nalod Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Nalod:
Gonk,

I understand better now, thank you! I thought watching DVD videos with the 7.1 input was the pretty good, but I thought it funny that I could not change any of the surround settings. I figured "this is as good as it gets and if they wanted me to change, they would have given me the ability." Wrong!

I appreciate your "downconverting" the answer!

Im getting there.

I an unfamiiar with digital audio connections.

Which of these might be best to configure as you suggested? http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm

Thank you again for helping in my quest to a finer Outlaw experience and faster financial insolvency!
Lfm-plus
MK Vx850 sub
velodyne Sms-1
MK 850 LCR
MK CS surround
Oppo SACD/DVD-A
38inch Loewe Aconda
Panamax 500
Monster Power 3500

#62904 - 11/28/06 12:12 PM Re: Cable connections
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Digital audio connections (sometimes called SPDIF - Sony/Philips Digital InterFace) allow a source to feed the unaltered digital audio signal (PCM stereo from CD's; PCM stereo or Dolby Digital from cable and satellite receivers; PCM stereo, Dolby Digital, or DTS from DVD's) to a receiver or processor so that the processor can work with the original digital data for signal processing and (in the case of Dllby Digital and DTS) decoding. This also allows you to have a single high quality DAC (digital-to-analog converter) or group of DAC's in the processor, so you don't have to worry with getting good DAC's in each source component. I'd recommend using digital audio connections wherever possible - the only places to use analog are sources that lack digital audio outputs (the SMS-1) or formats which do not allow digital output (SACD and DVD-Audio).

In my system, I've got one of the Blue jeans Belden 1694A coaxial digital audio cables along with three Outlaw PDO optical and one Outlaw PSC coaxial digital audio cable. Whether coaxial or optical is superior is a matter of some debate, with no conclusive answer that I've ever found. For longer runs, I'd definitely lean toward optical (light doesn't care about EM or RF interference, after all), but for the short runs you're probably looking at I don't think it really makes any difference.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts