Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#62879 - 11/25/06 02:59 PM Appropriate speakers for Outlaw 990
Cadu Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Hi there,

I am a brand new owner of the 990 preamp. It just arrived from US and I not even turn it on because I'm still looking for best speakers to go along with the 990.

I am from Brasil, so, even though I can find many speakers models, the brands you guys mention in this forum is not easily found (or highly expensive). So my question would be more generic not sticking in a specific brand.

Who could tell me which parameters I should look for in order to take best performance of the Outlaw preamp 990?

#62880 - 11/25/06 03:21 PM Re: Appropriate speakers for Outlaw 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The 990 is an overall neutral piece of electronics, so you can basically just focus on the most important factor in any speaker shopping exercise: what sounds best to you. Get some CD's you're really familiar with and take them with you to demo any speakers you are considering.

Another thing to consider (although it's less important than personal taste) is the amp being used - any separate power amp should be easily able to drive 4 ohm loads, and if you have a fairly powerful amp you aren't likely to be particularly worried about speaker efficiency, but if you are planning to use a smaller amp (something comparable to Outlaw's 7075, which puts out 75W per channel) you might want to avoid something that's got a particularly low efficiency.

#62881 - 11/25/06 03:38 PM Re: Appropriate speakers for Outlaw 990
Cadu Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Gonk,

Thanks for your so fast response. But canīt we stick in some basic parameters such as Hz and dB?

#62882 - 11/25/06 06:01 PM Re: Appropriate speakers for Outlaw 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Well, the 990's bass management is flexible enough to work with nearly any low frequency response -3dB point, and the high frequency ought to at least reach 20,000Hz with any decent speaker (since that's where human hearing ends even in the best cases). The efficiency (which will likely range from 85dB to 93dB, with some horn speakers breaking 100dB) is going to relate solely to the amplifier. Seriously, find the speaker that sounds best to you, find an amp that can drive it, and the 990 will be happy to do its job with whatever you have.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts