Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#62820 - 12/05/06 05:49 PM Re: Meridian 861 Vs Emotiva Dmc-1 VS 990
Dr. Megalito Loveless Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Eagle, Michigan
bwallen77,

Heritage series Klipsch for mains and center (Klipschorns L&R, Belle for center) RS-7 for rear and sides and of course the Outlaw LFM-1 sub.

#62821 - 12/05/06 06:22 PM Re: Meridian 861 Vs Emotiva Dmc-1 VS 990
Dr. Megalito Loveless Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Eagle, Michigan
Deleted duplicate post.

#62822 - 12/08/06 01:39 AM Re: Meridian 861 Vs Emotiva Dmc-1 VS 990
ComradeX Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Dallas, TX
mktheater,
It's a safe bet we have different tastes in sound, but I've enjoyed reading your posts. I've always listened to music more critically, as I finally just got a big screen earlier this year. For music I prefer a warmer sound, which led me to purchase a set of Rocket speakers that I really like. However, I'm driving them with a 1999 vintage Onkyo box that I got from Circuit City for about $500 - it's actually not bad, but that's where my next upgrade will be.

Rocket folks typically like Emo gear, which also has a warm sound as you've noticed. I'm wondering if it might not be a bad idea to pair warm speakers with more bright sounding electronics? I would like more of that "you are there" effect for movies, but not if my tunes get too hissy. smile I've never heard Outlaw gear, but I did get to hear an Arcam AVP700/P1000 a few months back and really like that. Guess I'm curious if warm speakers and brighter electronics go together like peanut butter and jelly or oil and water.

#62823 - 12/08/06 12:09 PM Re: Meridian 861 Vs Emotiva Dmc-1 VS 990
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
With regard to the compatibility of a two-channel system with a home theater system, I would agree with mktheater that, in many respects, they work at cross purposes.

I think there are products out there that can bridge the gap. I consider my 970 one of those, largely because of the bypass mode it offers.

In would also include my speakers. I really struggled to find a replacement for my Snell CIII's and was resigned to buying a home theater oriented product that, at best, would not do anything offensive on two channel listening. I was glad to stumble across the 11Ls as they got rave reviews for two channel systems, plus had the added benefit of being part of a larger HT product line that includes a matching center, satelittes and a sub.

While the system probably does not have the dynamic impact of the Klipsch's, the fact the speakers are designed to work together has given me a common sonic signature across my mains and center (I plan to add the surrounds later) which helps add that seamless, 360 degree effect that makes HT sound more lifelike.

Anyway, I have been VERY happy with them and once I get my SMS-1 and the satelittes, I think the system is really going to come together.
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#62824 - 12/08/06 01:51 PM Re: Meridian 861 Vs Emotiva Dmc-1 VS 990
mktheater Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NY
ComradeX,
I don't feel there is a best processor, just a best sytem that matches your speakers. The speakers you choose will have the biggest impact on the sound then the electronics to bring out that sound. The emotiva was a very good processor but just did not match with my gear. You like the sound of your speakers so now you have to find electronics that will let that sound thru without any alteration. I don't think onkyo is warm sounding, is it? I always felt that the integra stuff was great with M&K speakers, actually it would be my pick for receivers(never heard the outlaw)or the B&K. The best bet is to try gear and hear for your self. Emo gear and outlaw gear you can return. Actually I am interested in trying the new Nuforce processor. Anyone try this? BTW I always felt that good 2 channel does not mean good hometheater and vice versa. I tried a very musical sytem for movies and it just lacked that WOW factor. It's sound was good, very good but I could always do better with theater only gear. I guess I am glad that I don't listen to 2 channel, it makes it much easier. Of course I am talking about trying to get the best of both worlds which is almost impossible. I believe in separate 2 channel and theater. I also think the 990 sounds really good for music. The Meridian was much better though.

#62825 - 12/08/06 02:34 PM Re: Meridian 861 Vs Emotiva Dmc-1 VS 990
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
Just a couple of two-centers:
ComradeX, saying that two things go together "like oil and water" is saying they DON'T mix at all, just as oil and water don't mix.
MKtheater apparently believes 2 channel and theater do mix like oil and water. Unfortunately those of us who do listen to two channel (sometimes called "music") more often than home theater, and don't have as much money as some others apparently do, simply can't afford to hold such beliefs. Sorry about that.

#62826 - 12/08/06 02:56 PM Re: Meridian 861 Vs Emotiva Dmc-1 VS 990
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
Quote:
Unfortunately those of us who do listen to two channel (sometimes called "music") more often than home theater, and don't have as much money as some others apparently do...
IMHO, I think you hit the nail on the head. For most of us, it's a question of what compromise we're willing to accept in terms of performance. My system is designed around what is important to me sonically and what I'm willing to trade off either because (1) I can't afford it; or (2) it would look really crappy in my game room / HT room and my wife would divorce my a$$.

But if cost were no object and I had beaucoup room to play with, I have no doubt a pair of Wilson Audio MAXX speakers would absolutely, positively rock on both movies and 2-channel. Similarly, electronics up to par with that sort of loudspeaker would excel at whatever signal you threw at them. In my mind, the best of both worlds would involve having a great processor (like the 990 cool ) and a preamp that has a surround sound pass-thru, e.g. the McCormack RLD-1.

So bottom line is, I think you can get the best of both worlds... if you're willing to spend the money!
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#62827 - 12/08/06 07:43 PM Re: Meridian 861 Vs Emotiva Dmc-1 VS 990
mktheater Offline
Gunslinger

Don't get me wrong, I think the 990 does music quite well. Great clarity. I just think you can keep 2 channel music and theater seperate and get better results and not spend alot of money. People think you have to spend $1000's to get one system to do both great and I believe you can spend less to get better results

#62828 - 12/08/06 07:44 PM Re: Meridian 861 Vs Emotiva Dmc-1 VS 990
mktheater Offline
Gunslinger

Don't get me wrong, I think the 990 does music quite well. Great clarity. I just think you can keep 2 channel music and theater seperate and get better results and not spend alot of money. People think you have to spend $1000's to get one system to do both great and I believe you can spend less to get better results

#62829 - 12/08/06 09:17 PM Re: Meridian 861 Vs Emotiva Dmc-1 VS 990
ComradeX Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Dallas, TX
All good points there. Even if I had the budget for two quality systems, I do all my watching and listening in the same room anyway, so I need one that can handle both. I've never heard my speakers with anything other than my Onkyo - it would be really interesting to try some different ones. Guess if you can sync things up with some different internet companies so you can try some different things side by side, you could tell a lot.

I started my upgrades with speakers, since I believe they make the biggest impact in the sound you hear. Given that I went with a warmer, "musical" sound, I'm concerned about getting an amp and pre/pro that are also "warm". My thought is if the detail is there, the speakers will color things the way I like, but I dont want to miss anything. On the other hand, I understand that some things match well and some dont. Guess you pretty much just have to try them out.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts