Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#62721 - 11/16/06 10:33 AM Re: Gonk...I want to try one more time...
Miscanthus Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, MS
Quote:
Originally posted by Miscanthus:
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
[b] While we're in "try it all" mode... Does it do the "no signal" thing all the time with all analog outputs (component, composite, and s-video)? Can you feed a composite video signal into one of the inputs (like the front input) and get something out from any of the monitor outputs?
It does it all the time. I have HDMI cables to my dvd and HD cable box. At one point I had the Cble box hooked up with component cables and it worked fine. When I hook the same component cable to the Monitor inputs on the back of the 990 I get the "searching for signal" message. Last night I have tried composite as well as Svideo to the front and back of the 990 as well. [/b]
"Can you feed a composite video signal into one of the inputs (like the front input) and get something out from any of the monitor outputs?"
Gonk, can you explain this in a little more detail.

#62722 - 11/16/06 10:57 AM Re: Gonk...I want to try one more time...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
My thought here is to make sure that the analog video switching is working at all. With your cable box and DVD player being your only sources and with both being DVI/HDMI, you aren't currently using any analog video switching.

Here's the process that occurs to me. Connect either the component or composite monitor output of the 990 to an input on the TV and switch to that input on the TV. Connect a composite video source to the 990 (a cheap VCR hooked up to the front panel would suffice, or even a video camera or digital still camera with a video output - just something that will create a video signal) and switch to that input on the 990. Actually, I'd probably recommend using composite video to the front input because I'm pretty sure the default configuration for that input is the composite input. Then see if you are getting video from the source to the TV. If you don't get anything, you might even try resetting the 990 in case the default video connection used by that input of the 990 was changed - a reset would change the Video5 input back to a default of "composite."

Another test would be to try connecting the composite video monitor output to a different (small would suffice here) TV to see if you can get the menu that way. I doubt that the problem lies there based on what you've done to now and the results you've seen, but while I'm tossing out ideas I may as well toss them all out.

Troubleshooting this stuff can be hugely frustrating, but one way or another Outlaw and the gunslingers around here can get you back in business.

#62723 - 11/16/06 11:44 AM Re: Gonk...I want to try one more time...
Skyblazer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Spokane, WA
do you have another TV besides your plasma one? If you do you may want to try hooking that one up and see if you get the on screen menu.

Miscanthus, please tell me how you have your cable box hook up? The cable box is hooked up to your plasma or to the 990 pre amp?

Then how is the 990 pre amp hooked up to your plasma TV? what kind of cables are you using for the video picture? HDMI/DVI or component or S-video?
Parasound P/HP-850 2 CH pre
Pioneer PL-530 TT
Polk Audio SDA 2B
NAD 2600A amp
Danger Boy here

#62724 - 11/16/06 02:27 PM Re: Gonk...I want to try one more time...
Miscanthus Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Skyblazer:
do you have another TV besides your plasma one? If you do you may want to try hooking that one up and see if you get the on screen menu.

Miscanthus, please tell me how you have your cable box hook up? The cable box is hooked up to your plasma or to the 990 pre amp?

Then how is the 990 pre amp hooked up to your plasma TV? what kind of cables are you using for the video picture? HDMI/DVI or component or S-video?
The cable box is hooked directly to the tv via hdmi. The dvd player is hooked up directly to the tv via hdmi. Optical cables are used on both for the sound.

#62725 - 11/16/06 02:33 PM Re: Gonk...I want to try one more time...
Miscanthus Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
My thought here is to make sure that the analog video switching is working at all. With your cable box and DVD player being your only sources and with both being DVI/HDMI, you aren't currently using any analog video switching.

Here's the process that occurs to me. Connect either the component or composite monitor output of the 990 to an input on the TV and switch to that input on the TV. Connect a composite video source to the 990 (a cheap VCR hooked up to the front panel would suffice, or even a video camera or digital still camera with a video output - just something that will create a video signal) and switch to that input on the 990. Actually, I'd probably recommend using composite video to the front input because I'm pretty sure the default configuration for that input is the composite input. Then see if you are getting video from the source to the TV. If you don't get anything, you might even try resetting the 990 in case the default video connection used by that input of the 990 was changed - a reset would change the Video5 input back to a default of "composite."

Another test would be to try connecting the composite video monitor output to a different (small would suffice here) TV to see if you can get the menu that way. I doubt that the problem lies there based on what you've done to now and the results you've seen, but while I'm tossing out ideas I may as well toss them all out.

Troubleshooting this stuff can be hugely frustrating, but one way or another Outlaw and the gunslingers around here can get you back in business.
I will try these things this evening. I really appreciate you guys helping me.

#62726 - 11/17/06 01:39 AM Re: Gonk...I want to try one more time...
Skyblazer Offline
Gunslinger

[/QUOTE]The cable box is hooked directly to the tv via hdmi. The dvd player is hooked up directly to the tv via hdmi. Optical cables are used on both for the sound. [/QB][/QUOTE]

so you are bypassing the 990 all together then? Except for your optical audio. if you run your cable box and your DVD player right into your TV.. then you will not see the on screen display. unless you have a seperate connection from the 990 to your TV.

I think that's why you are not seeing the on screen display (OSD).
Pioneer PL-530 TT
Polk Audio SDA 2B
NAD 2600A amp
Danger Boy here

#62727 - 11/17/06 07:45 AM Re: Gonk...I want to try one more time...
gonk Offline
Desperado

No, he's been running video cables from the 990 to the display specifically to get the OSD. There's something else going on here.

#62728 - 11/17/06 05:05 PM Re: Gonk...I want to try one more time...
Skyblazer Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
No, he's been running video cables from the 990 to the display specifically to get the OSD. There's something else going on here.
yes but is he switching inputs on his plasma to see the OSD?

Maybe I hooked my 990 up differently that other's. I have all my sources running into the 990.. then one component cable to the TV. then i just press the OSD button and the 990 does it's thing. i don't have to change inputs on my TV.
Pioneer PL-530 TT
Polk Audio SDA 2B
NAD 2600A amp
Danger Boy here

#62729 - 11/17/06 06:32 PM Re: Gonk...I want to try one more time...
gonk Offline
Desperado

If he followed the instructions I posted above, he changed the input.

I also run my video through the 990, but not everybody does this. With only two HDMI sources, Miscanthus could use the DVI switching and leave the TV on a single HDMI input if he wanted to, but he'd still need at least a composite video cable for the 990's OSD.

#62730 - 11/26/06 08:24 AM Re: Gonk...I want to try one more time...
Nalod Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NC
Quote:
If he followed the instructions I posted above, he changed the input.

I also run my video through the 990, but not everybody does this. With only two HDMI sources, Miscanthus could use the DVI switching and leave the TV on a single HDMI input if he wanted to, but he'd still need at least a composite video cable for the 990's OSD.
Silly Newbie question: "OSD" is short for?

On Screen D?????
Lfm-plus
MK Vx850 sub
velodyne Sms-1
MK 850 LCR
MK CS surround
Outlaw Balanced Cable (ouch!)
Lots of Bluejean fancy cables
Oppo SACD/DVD-A
38inch Loewe Aconda
Panamax 500
Monster Power 3500

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 157 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts