Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#62690 - 11/14/06 05:29 PM Re: Balanced Outs
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If you can't resurrect the 2400, let us know. We may be able to help give you some food for thought that would help with the decision making process. With HDMI v1.3 in the mix, it can be a complex issue, but there are a few perspectives on the issue that can take a few kinks out of the situation. For example, moving to separates now (Outlaw, Emotiva, or other) would still give you a good amp and processor now, and the amp can hang around for multiple generations of surround processor. Even with HDMI v1.3 standard now in place, I don't think we'll see entry-level surround processors on the market that offer HDMI for at least twelve to eighteen more months. When the time comes that HDMI processors start to show up at less painful prices, you could potentially sell your processor to help purchase a new one - assuming that the rest of your system presents a need for HDMI v1.x support.

#62691 - 11/14/06 05:48 PM Re: Balanced Outs
gonk Offline
Desperado

I glanced briefly at your AV123 thread and had another thought... You might want to take a few minutes to peruse my HDMI FAQ . It is intended to serve as a fairly complete single-point source of information about HDMI's various forms without getting too in depth with the technology. Basically, there are several scenarios with HDMI audio and the new HD optical disc formats (HD-DVD and Blu-ray): carry the new audio formats (Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD) over HDMI as multichannel PCM (decoded by the player but left in the digital domain), carry the new audio formats in their native bitstreams for decoding by the receiver or processor, decode the new audio formats and convert them to analog in the player, or decode the new audio formats and convert them to either high-bitrate DTS or high-bitrate Dolby Digital for output over SPDIF (coaxial or optical digital audio). Which of those four actually takes place depends on entirely too many factors (not the least of which is which formats are actually supported by the player). Many people have assumed that HDMI v1.3 was the holy grail and that once it was here we would go back to the old familiar bitstream output - feed the new formats in their native data form to the receiver or processor over HDMI instead of SPDIF. In reality, we may still need the player to decode to multichannel PCM in order to support bonus material or other player features. The most recent information I've seen suggested that HD-DVD's may actually continue to force internal decoding for a while in order to allow things like player-generated sound effects during menu navigation. That multichannel PCM is supported by HDMI v1.1, which would have probably appeared in products much sooner if v1.3 hadn't been looming on the horizon. Overall, it's just plain messy...

#62692 - 11/14/06 07:28 PM Re: Balanced Outs
Mopar_Mudder Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks you for the FAQ, lots of good info their. My biggest and main use is for movies. I don't want to get caught in a situation where after getting into HD DVD's that I have to live with converting the Dolby HD down to Dolby Digital and listen to it that way.

I think I will hold out a little while. Sounds like 1.3 is the ticket if everyone can agree and just do it and stop changing formats, that hurts everyone. HD-DVD and Blue Ray are going to have to merge also, you would think they would learn from the Beta vrs VHS days. I hope it all stragihten out fast so us consumers can get some killer quality sound and picture out of our DVD players.

On a side note, would I gain any quality using the HDMI to DVI on my TV versus using the component that I am using now? I have HD channels.

Rocket Speakers
RS760 Fronts
RS550 MKII Rears
RSC200 Center
RSS300 Surronds

#62693 - 11/14/06 08:33 PM Re: Balanced Outs
gonk Offline
Desperado

If you can revive the V2400, holding out is an approach that is mighty hard to argue against. If you can't, there are a number of options for getting the system back to life - and even allow some opportunities for dabbling with the HD formats while we all wait for the industry to get itself sorted out. wink

Using HDMI/DVI in place of component can help in some cases, but it's not always going to be an upgrade. I didn't find DVI to be any better than component with my HD cable box (a Pace Micro DC-550), and in fact component might have a slight edge - although my display is also an analog device (CRT direct view) unlike the more common digital devices (LCD, DLP, LCoS). There are a number of DVD players that do offer excellent upscaling performance with DVI/HDMI, even without considering the HD-DVD and Blu-ray players that are generally best when used with HDMI output.

#62694 - 11/27/06 09:35 PM Re: Balanced Outs
Hoosier Benzo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Megalith:
Since the connection is balanced, is the signal matched for pro amps (+12db)? Because balanced connections are usually reserved for pro devices, no?...
Should be just fine, but others who've actually tried it can comment. I have not, but do have experience with interfacing consumer and pro gear going back about 10 years.

Nominal output level of the 990 is 1V for a 1kohm input impedance at the amp. Max of 9V line-level output.

Where you might run into trouble is if you mix brands/makes of power amp with the 990. Then level-matching becomes more tricky.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts