Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#62537 - 03/11/07 05:58 PM Re: Hum in My Speakers
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If unplugging the coaxial eliminates the problem, I'd put in a call to your cable company and get them to check the ground on your cable service. It's possible that it's too messed up for even the Jensen to fix matters.

#62538 - 03/12/07 11:38 AM Re: Hum in My Speakers
knownalien Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
If unplugging the coaxial eliminates the problem, I'd put in a call to your cable company and get them to check the ground on your cable service. It's possible that it's too messed up for even the Jensen to fix matters.
I would love to do that but I am pretty sure they will ask if ANYTHING with the picture or internet is affected by my complaint. If I say no, then they will likely tell me that their is no "issue" and the problem must lie with my gear.

But Gonk, the thing that keeps nagging me is why the 2200 seems to handle that hum but the 7500 can't? All other things being equal.
Oppo OPPO DV-981
Polk LSi15 Fronts
Polk LSiC Center
Polk LSi9 Surrounds
SVS PC-Plus 20-39 (newest addition down to 16hz) Subwoofer
Sony KDF-50WE655 50" LCD

#62539 - 03/12/07 12:00 PM Re: Hum in My Speakers
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If you tell them that the problem occurs only when the cable is connected to your system and does not happen when you physically remove the cable TV from the system, then they really have to come out and look at it. We're talking about grounding here, and even as crummy as cable TV service can be this is not something they can blow off - after all, if they're doing it wrong, they are technically at risk of creating code violations.

I can't say what might be the difference in the two that has created the greater sensitivity in the 7500, but it's worth keeping in mind that the two amps are significantly different designs.

#62540 - 03/15/07 03:56 PM Re: Hum in My Speakers
aeroguy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Folsom CA
Knownalien - Let me weigh in this discussion. I have had some experience with ground loops. My hobby is electronics and over the years I have developed a passion for amplifiers. the amplifiers I have connected to my 990 are all hand built and provide some 2000 RMS watts of power all without a detectable hum.

The existance of a ground loop in your system invariably shows up in the input stage and therefore receives the full amplification of your amplifier and a very audible noise from your speakers.

Ground loops are caused by small variations in the resistance of the wires that return the signal to ground. Like the design of any high power amplifier, your system there should only have a single point where everything is grounded. When you connect the 990 to the 7500, the cables set the appropriate ground level for the 7500. Therefore, all cables should be of the same quality and they should all be about the same length. If the cable company has grounded your system, you probably may want to reconsider any other grounds you might have implemented.

Since the 2200 are mono blocks you would only be connecting one cable to them without any possibility of a gound loop (there is only one ground).

Outside of that I would switch some of the cables from the 990 to the 7500 to see if I could get the hum to move arround. You may detect a faulty cable. Failing all of these things, and an unwilling cable company, I would start suspecting the 7500, a loose wire or something.

I once had a small ground loob in my dual subwoofer amplifier. I got all of my test equipment out and started to trace it down, only to find out that it was being caused by a "Y" connector that I had used to split the signal. The one foot "Y" connector had just enough resistance differences to set up the ground loop. After I directly connected both amps to the 990, the hum disappeared.

You may want to google "ground loops" there are some excellent articles on this subject out there.
Sony Bravia 52" XBR
DirectV
Apple TV
Infinity Speakers
Home Built Sub+800 WRMS Amp
Blue Jeans and PPC Cables
Phillips Home Theater Power Conditioner
Wi-Fi "ac" connected

#62541 - 03/15/07 04:46 PM Re: Hum in My Speakers
knownalien Offline
Gunslinger

well, the interconnects I use are all of Outlaws top of the line non-balanced cables. Switching them would seem like a good idea, but for one, Outlaw (since they make both the cables and 990) has made it very hard to remove the cables esp. since they have the ends which require "screwing" in a bit and second, I am pretty sure that this comes down to a cable in the CABLE box because when it is unplugged, the hum goes away.
Oppo OPPO DV-981
Polk LSi15 Fronts
Polk LSiC Center
Polk LSi9 Surrounds
SVS PC-Plus 20-39 (newest addition down to 16hz) Subwoofer
Sony KDF-50WE655 50" LCD

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Who's Online
0 registered (), 128 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts