#616 - 01/12/02 01:42 PM Bi-wiring center speaker
Mark Offline
Gunslinger

How would I go about bi-wiring my center speaker? Thanks

#617 - 01/12/02 10:56 PM Re: Bi-wiring center speaker
okc329 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO USA
I don't think you want to bi-wire your center channel if you are driving it from the power amplifier designated "center" on, say, a 1050. There would be no other amp with the center information as output. Now if you had the line level content of center, say, the pre-out from the 1050, you could drive two power amps in parallel and then bi-wire, assiming your speaker has separate terminals for the tweeter and midrange speakers.

#618 - 01/13/02 05:16 PM Re: Bi-wiring center speaker
MrSandman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
Edit: Applejelly wrote a better post than my answer in the Outlaw to Outlaw forum under the 'Lack of Bass' post, so I deleted my original and recommend you check that one out.

S.

[This message has been edited by MrSandman (edited January 13, 2002).]

#619 - 01/13/02 10:21 PM Re: Bi-wiring center speaker
okc329 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO USA
Sorry, my reply above was based on my reading the request as "bi-amping" instead of "bi-wiring" - my mistake. Nevertheless, bi-wiring doesn't sound like a good idea because you'll be subjecting both types of speakers in the box (assuming a two-way system)to a range of frequencies for which it was not intended. This is because the filtering action of the cross-over will be eliminated. most centerchannels are designed to deliver good quality dialogue so I think best to leave alone.

#620 - 01/14/02 05:47 PM Re: Bi-wiring center speaker
jojajr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: NJ
Bi-wiring your center channel with a reciever that doesn't support it probably will not do you any good. You will basically be doing to the same job as the brass or gold shorts connected to your binding posts. Bi-wiring just let's you send the lows to the lowpass filter and the highs to the high pass filter directly without having the crossover do the work. Some people say you can hear a difference though without the fancy hardware in your reciever. In my experience with designing and installing home theatres I have yet to hear it. Bi-wiring with a reciever that supports Bi-wiring does have an audible difference as well as Bi-amping. Mostly while listening to music or during the quieter more detailed scenes in movies. It all depends on your equipment. If you have real high end speakers let the crossover do the work. If there just middle of the road to low end speakers give a try.

#621 - 01/14/02 06:12 PM Re: Bi-wiring center speaker
Hi4head Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lexington, NC
I don't know why you want to bi-wire, but, go ahead and try it. I'll try to answer your question.

First, is your center channel speaker set up for bi-wiring? It must have 2 sets of input terminals that are currently connected by a jumper. This means that you must have two positive input terminals and two negatives.

First, remove the jumper between the 2 positive terminals and the one between the two negative terminals on your center channel speaker.

You'll need 4 lengths of speaker wire. (If you have bi-wire cables, then this is not applicable.) Take 2 of the the wires and connect them to the positive terminal for the center channel on your receiver. (You can twist the bare wire together, clamp them together with a spade, or combine them into one bananna plug.)

Take one of the positive wires and connect it to one of the positive input terminals on your speaker. Take the second positive wire and connect it to the second positive input terminal on your speaker.

Do the same thing for the negative connections.

Let us know how it sounds.

Chris

If you need, I have a small bitmap sketch showing this. Send me an email and I can send it to you.

[This message has been edited by Hi4head (edited January 14, 2002).]

#622 - 01/17/02 09:50 AM Re: Bi-wiring center speaker
rennocneb Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: terre haute, IN, USA
Bi-wiring removes that gold plate in between your inputs which is nothing more than a big inducter that hurts sound quality. I personally own Klipsch RF-5's with the RC-7 center and RS-7 surrounds and RSW-15 sub, and im using an NAD T761 reciever to drive them all of them are biwired. And even though the NAD has no support for it by simply running two leads off of each output sound quality has been greatly improved. It adds a lot more air to the top end and a touch more mids and also helps to deliver stronger bass. BTW im using all kimber 8tc speaker cable which will help a lot if you are using something cheap like monster cable. I sale klipsch and NAD products and have seen many biwired and non biwired setups and anyone that can hear no difference needs to get their ears checked

#623 - 01/17/02 02:29 PM Re: Bi-wiring center speaker
Hi4head Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lexington, NC
The last response prompts another thought. (Although my comments should maybe be in another thread.)

A lot of folks simply replace the factory provided jumper with a good quality speaker wire. Some report that it provides a notable difference. While I haven't done this to my Monitors, it makes sense. Both the treble and bass sections of the speaker will see the same consistent sonic signature provided by the wire. (I think I'll go home tonight and do this.)

This isn't the same as bi-wiring, but is sure would be simpler, cheaper, and cleaner looking (of course, maybe some like to see multiple wires coming into the speakers - my wife doesn't).

#624 - 01/29/08 07:08 PM Re: Bi-wiring center speaker
ksam Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: dallas, tx
I tried bi wiring Paradigm CC470 and Studio 20s FRL to my 990/7125. Had too much distortion and hurt my ears. Tried every adjustment and went back to single wiring.

#625 - 01/31/08 01:19 AM Re: Bi-wiring center speaker
mtrostel Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

"Will it sound any different if you biwire? Some users think it does, but I've never heard any differences, nor have any of our laboratory measurements or scientifically controlled double blind listening tests ever demonstrated there are audible differences. Axiom includes the extra terminals as a nod to those enthusiasts who believe that biwiring results in audible benefits and for the bi-ampers."

Alan Loft - Former editor of Sound & Vision and Audio Magazines

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts