It worked like I had planned out 6 months ago when I first started considering this unit and comparing it to a new Denon that has Zone 3 capability. Just wanted to share in case someone else was debating this.

I used the "tape out" from the 990 to an input on my old Denon AVR 2500. The Denon powers my deck and patio speakers. It is not a true "Zone" in that it can only get the signal I'm listening to in the main system...and of course it has to be an analog signal since that is what I ran to the Denon...but it works fine for me. I could have also split the signal from my Zone 2 which goes to the stereo speakers in the great room...but then I would have had to have the great room speakers on to listen outside...which might not work if the kids are trying to go to sleep and I want to listen outside. On a side note...I'm also going to run a "Zone" 4 from the zone 2 out on the Denon...running to a 2 channell amp powering speakers in the kitchen, master bed and bath. I'm just glad I have an URC MX-850/MRF250 so I don't have to keep running downstairs to manage it.