Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#61254 - 07/17/06 10:22 AM X-over question
heprat Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lees Summit MO
Quick question...
If the L&R speakers are set to Large and subwoofer is set to LFE only....does the cross over of 40Hz still apply? or does setting the speakers to Large automatically defeat the cross over setting?

I have a NHT U2 subwoofer that has a separate cross over control. L&R speakers are routed through the X1 cross over then back to the 7125. The X1 is set to high pass out of 80hz. According to NHT the X1 is specifically designed for the evolution speaker system.

#61255 - 07/17/06 10:39 AM Re: X-over question
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If the mains are large and the sub is not set to "L/R+Sub", then the crossover point listed for the mains is not used for anything.

It sounds like you have two choices for your mains with that sub. One is to set the mains to large and the sub to "off" (so that the LFE track is steered into the mains and then reaches the sub) and leave the sub's internal crossover set to 80Hz - this will merge the LFE track into the left and right signals, then let the subwoofer's crossover divide the signal between subwoofer and mains. Another choice is to connect the mains' pre-amp outputs directly to the 7125, connect the sub to the subwoofer output, disable the crossover in the sub, and use the 990's bass management (mains set to small, sub on, and the mains' crossover set to 80Hz).

#61256 - 07/17/06 11:16 AM Re: X-over question
gonk Offline
Desperado

OK, so the X1 is a separate crossover module . Crap - disregard at least my first suggest. This is a fairly atypical system - the 55 page manual covers their Evolution system in general, including how to assemble the various tower speakers and such. If you are using NHT towers with the unpowered sub in the base, your best bet is to go with the NHT recommended approach: mains set to large, sub set to LFE, mains and sub pre-amp output all connected to the X1, left/right outputs of X1 connected to 7125, and sub output of X1 connected to A1 to power U2 modules and left/right subs.

#61257 - 07/17/06 01:51 PM Re: X-over question
heprat Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lees Summit MO
gonk I can always count on you...thanks for your response.

That is how I have it hooked up. You confirmed that if I have LR set to Large and LFE only...then the cross over point doesn't really matter. I was concerned that the <40hz for the L&R wern't going anywhere.

#61258 - 07/17/06 04:40 PM Re: X-over question
gonk Offline
Desperado

You already had it under control, heprat - I just needed to run in circles for a few minutes to figure your system out. smile

Who's Online
0 registered (), 184 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts