Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#604 - 01/11/02 10:15 AM need video help
Fletch Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Libertyville, IL, USA
I read the thread about the problems with the 1050 and S-Video. I am experiencing them as well. Other than this I am very happy with the 1050. My situation is this: I have an old (1994?) 20" RCA TV with S-Video input. I also have an RCA DirecTV box with S-Video output. My DVD player is a JVC. When I plug the satellite box and DVD into the 1050 and use switching, I experience flicker and some really bad video effects - especially on the Star Wars Phantom Menace DVD and during commercials on the satellite dish with very white backgrounds. I am using el-cheapo cables, but the problem is completely eliminated when I go direct from one source to the TV. I'm really upset that I can't use the switching in the 1050 and I'm having trouble justifying my expense to my wife. If anyone can recommend a solution until I get a new TV with more inputs, I would most appreciative.
Thanks,
Fletch

#605 - 01/11/02 11:19 AM Re: need video help
Mark Offline
Gunslinger

Why don't you just go direct? The one step path is the best way to go anyway. The receivers I had in the past I never used their switching. Source to TV is best.

#606 - 01/11/02 11:48 AM Re: need video help
Fletch Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Libertyville, IL, USA
I don't want to go direct because:
#1 I paid $500 so I could have switching.
#2 I will have to go behind my tv and plug and unplug the s-video cable (I already broke one doing this repeatedly).
Fletch

#607 - 01/11/02 12:53 PM Re: need video help
MrSandman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
I don't know if this is the kind of solution you are looking for, but there are many external switchers available. The Radioshack 15-1976 ($39.99) has 4 inputs and 1 output and claims to convert composite to S-Video as well, meaning that you could hook up the old VCR too and never have to change inputs on the TV. The Recoton SVS1000 (29.99) is similar, except it does not claim to convert composite to S-video.

I know a Recoton RF modulator is able to switch sources automatically (i.e. it passes 75 ohm through, unless the DVD player is on) but that wouldn't be the exact solution you want. But if their video switchers also have some sort of precedence, then you might not need to push buttons. Otherwise, you would have to manually switch to whatever input you wanted. Radioshack does have switchers that use remote control, but they are quite expensive.

If it is a short term solution, the Recoton sounds to be the least expensive solution and is available at your typical Best Buy/Circuit City stores most likely. I can't speak to the quality of these devices, however, so it may involve a return if it is not up to your standards.

Hope it helps.

S.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts