Page 3 of 45 < 1 2 3 4 5 44 45 >
Topic Options
#6042 - 03/05/06 12:08 PM Re: Clever Little Clocks
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Keta:
Some of the babble that has been written here over the years is no less outragous than that which HiFiSoundGuy is suggesting. It's just his opinion.
And they all got their heads handed to them as well. Anyone who makes such a claim without any quantification or qualification is asking for it in these parts.

Quote:
Originally posted by HiFiSoundGuy:
I just enjoy music alot better when the clocks are in the room.
I enjoy my music a lot better when my beer is in the room. At only $125/bottle, I have 24 left to sell. Hurry, they're going fast!

#6043 - 03/05/06 12:47 PM Re: Clever Little Clocks
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
Quote:
Anyone who makes such a claim without any quantification or qualification is asking for it in these parts.
An opinion has NO quantification or qualification, that is exactly what makes it an opinion. Fact could be qualified and quantified. To me his opinion is no different than the opinion that the 990 sounds better than the 950, the 7700 sounds better than the 7100 or the 770. I have read very few facts on most forums, just opinions and babble, take what you want and leave the rest. Outrageous ones like the clocks just make me giggle more and reaffirm that most things here are just opinions……both mine and yours.

#6044 - 03/05/06 02:37 PM Re: Clever Little Clocks
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon
Not all opinions are weightless or not based on such things as experience or expertise.

An opinion such as that a simple clock can make a difference in quality of a sound system isn't even on the same level as an experienced audiophile giving their experiences between two pieces of equipment. One is completely baseless and the other is based on quantifiable experience that is also rooted in reality.

#6045 - 03/05/06 02:58 PM Re: Clever Little Clocks
sraber Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Green Bay, WI
Keta,
I wouldn't say I'm "in a lather" over these "Clever Little Clocks". This is all just light hearted banter. The only time I really get in a lather over a clock is when my alarm goes off on Monday morning....

later,
simp
Outlaw Audio Model 2200 (center)
Rotel RMB-1075 (ss, rs)
f, B&W DM604S3
c, B&W LCR600S3
ss, B&W DM302
rs,Polk M3II
HSU VTF-3 MK3
APC H-15 Power Conditioner
Display: Panny PT-AE4000 Proj. + 92" DIY Screen
Little Dot MKIII Headphone Amp
Denon AH-D1100 Headphones (needed a quick, cheap set. looking for an upgrade worthy of the h/p amp.)

#6046 - 03/05/06 03:20 PM Re: Clever Little Clocks
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Well said sraber. If I'm up in arms over anything is that someone would actually pay $125 for a $5 Timex clock.

But as someone once said, "a fool and their money are soon parted".

#6047 - 03/05/06 04:17 PM Re: Clever Little Clocks
charlie Offline
Desperado

I thought it was "A fool and their money are some party".

#6048 - 03/05/06 05:23 PM Re: Clever Little Clocks
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Keta:
[QUOTE] An opinion has NO quantification or qualification, that is exactly what makes it an opinion. Fact could be qualified and quantified.
Sorry, Facts ARE quantifications and qualifications, and opinions not based upon facts (even perceptions, like "I noticed the highs rolled off less") aren't opinions, they're fiction (even if we still call them opinions).

If I said I thought the 990 sounded better than the 950, I'd expect to be asked why, and if I give no credible detail in my answer I'd also expect to be excoriated for it (deservedly so). HiFiSoundGuy did just that, and without any supporting evidence it sounds like fiction, no matter what his agenda.

#6049 - 03/05/06 07:08 PM Re: Clever Little Clocks
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
Quote:
Originally posted by charlie:
I thought it was "A fool and their money are some party".
drinks at my place at 8:00 cool
maybe the clock will earn it's keep.

#6050 - 03/05/06 08:53 PM Re: Clever Little Clocks
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
Quote:
Facts ARE quantifications and qualifications
Semantics of my statement. Thanks

Quote:
and opinions not based upon facts (even perceptions, like "I noticed the highs rolled off less") aren't opinions, they're fiction (even if we still call them opinions)
Here, in this context, we differ. Fiction is a lie and would be deliberately false or has the intent to deceive. Opinions are beliefs one has about a certain issue, usually not based on facts but on observations.

Blogging is correct that the weight of an opinion should be based on experience and expertise. This clock guy hasn't shown me much in the way of experience or expertise, which is why I (and many others) dismiss his claim outright. The opposite is true when someone like Gonk gives an opinion, I listen and don't believe it is fictitious because I've learned to value his opinion over the years, even in instances where I disagree.

My original point is that something this silly and petty as those clocks has now got close to 30 posts.....and I've wasted perfectly good beer drinking time typing about it.

#6051 - 03/06/06 12:52 AM Re: Clever Little Clocks
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Well, if you had one of those Clever Little Beer Hats (tm), you could have been drinking WHILE typing about the clocks.

Too bad machinadynamica doesn't sell something that's actually USEFUL, like that, though. smile

By the way, I'd say that it would appear that this person is deliberately making claims about a product that at best are delusional and at worst are deceitful. If that doesn't make the claims about the clocks fiction, I don't know what is.

Anyhow, back to the consuming of the beer.

*glug glug glug*

Page 3 of 45 < 1 2 3 4 5 44 45 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts