Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#60469 - 05/26/06 07:30 AM Re: 990 UPdate is pretty darn good
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'll give this another try, blaineh. I was able to keep the upsample mode active when switching to DD on other sources and then back, but I'll try switching from PCM to DD and back while staying on the same source (I've got one disc that I know has both PCM and DD 5.1 on it) and see what happens.

#60470 - 05/26/06 07:52 AM Re: 990 UPdate is pretty darn good
CI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New City, New York, USA
Gonk, just to confirm something re upsample mode. I assume it is still only the front left, center, front right and sw that emit sound in this mode....as was the case before. I wonder if it is possible to get sound on all 7 speakers in the upsample mode, with the new firmware. Maybe that is not what upsample is capable of?

#60471 - 05/26/06 08:14 AM Re: 990 UPdate is pretty darn good
gonk Offline
Desperado

Upsample mode is purely stereo (with sub if mains are set to small). I don't know if the hardware supports upsampling multichannel sources or layering upsampling and matrix surround processing.

#60472 - 05/26/06 09:07 AM Re: 990 UPdate is pretty darn good
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawnee, KS
blaineh,

What you have posted is the reason I run the optical cable from the DVD player to the DVD input and the coaxial cable from the DVD player to the CD input. Then, when you switch between inputs the decoding DOES follow the input. I also did this because I had issues with the FL/FR speakers cutting out when you would play a CD in a 2-channel mode and then play a DVD on the same player through the same digital cable to the same input on the 990. I have not tested this glitch since I upgraded the 990 last night.

#60473 - 05/26/06 09:23 AM Re: 990 UPdate is pretty darn good
gonk Offline
Desperado

Doug, you realize that you can assign the same digital input to multiple inputs don't you? I have the optical cable from my Yamaha assigned to both DVD (which uses Pro Logic II processing) and CD (which uses upsample) - it doesn't require running two digital audio cables.

#60474 - 05/26/06 09:39 AM Re: 990 UPdate is pretty darn good
AndrewS Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk:
Now I can't find the reference but I *thought* I had read in a thread or the manual (but now I can't find it in the manual) that "UPSAMPLE" mode upsampled the two front channels in a multichannel setup as well as a stereo setup.

Is this not the case?

#60475 - 05/26/06 10:14 AM Re: 990 UPdate is pretty darn good
CI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New City, New York, USA
Gonk, thanks for the reply. I hope that Andrew is correct, as it would be great to get all of the speakers working in the upchannel mode. Is there any way of testing this with the new firmware? Obviously, the only thing I did thus far was to choose upsample mode, and no sound from either the back pair or the side pair. Perhaps there is something else to try....?

#60476 - 05/26/06 11:43 AM Re: 990 UPdate is pretty darn good
gonk Offline
Desperado

I'd be curious to see that, AndrewS - I'd always been under the impression that upsample was a stereo mode, but I've been wrong before. Might be worth a search back through old threads...

#60477 - 05/26/06 12:37 PM Re: 990 UPdate is pretty darn good
blaineh Offline
Gunslinger

Doug (and the outlaws)
The problem here is if I forget, and play a DVD on the the input, instead of changing to "dvd" on the same digital input, it will play, but it wipes the mode preset, and next time I play a PCM source, it reverts to PL2.
For the satalite, we tried assigning two buttons, one (vid 1)for movies (DD), and anouther (vid 4) for the "CD" stations, (which do output PCM on dish network)with a stereo preset. Thing is, it works fine IF you change the video button BEFORE you change Sat stations (from PCM to DD). BUT, we forget often, and then when PCM returns, you get PL2!
This happnes to more than just a few of us, and it took a lot of experiment tation before I realized what was causing the PL2 to apear in my presets.
The same situation can occur if you play a PCM track of a DVD, then next time use a DD, then back to PCM later. No more "stereo" preset.

#60478 - 05/26/06 12:44 PM Re: 990 UPdate is pretty darn good
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawnee, KS
blaineh,

Sorry, wasn't completely understanding the issue.

Gonk,

I have learned that you can assign one input to multiple devices, but forgot...It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks!

AndrewS,

I am under the impression the upsampling only occurs when the "Upsample" mode is engaged, otherwise, wouldn't you be upsampling in "Stereo" or so on? The BA AVP7 has upsampling as something you turn on or off through the GUI menu. In this manner, the upsampling happens in whatever mode you are in as long as it is turned on, but it is still just on the FL/FR channels.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts