Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#60459 - 05/24/06 04:08 PM Re: 990 UPdate is pretty darn good
clo2016 Offline
Gunslinger

The high frequency in the sub was something that happened in stereo either digital or analog. This was something The Capt fought hard with the Outlaws about and they ended up stating the bass management would be reworked.

http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/34/t/000413.html

#60460 - 05/24/06 04:19 PM Re: 990 UPdate is pretty darn good
Bri1270 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mass
Agreed - High freq's in the sub happened to me in every setting except 5/7 channel stereo and PLIIx.

#60461 - 05/24/06 05:41 PM Re: 990 UPdate is pretty darn good
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Bri240, have you tried the firmware update to see if that is still the case? I've played around a bit with my Devious Tiny Disc and have not seen that sort of behavior in any modes except the one where it is expected (analog bypass, with small mains or large mains and sub set to LR+sub).

#60462 - 05/24/06 05:52 PM Re: 990 UPdate is pretty darn good
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
So has the spontaneous switching to PL2 been fixed? That was by FAR my biggest peeve. I'm on the road so I haven't been able to test the upgrade yet.

Cheers,

#60463 - 05/24/06 06:38 PM Re: 990 UPdate is pretty darn good
Darth Tater Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: South Carolina
Doug,

Let me ask you something about your BA preamp.

You mentioned 'muliple channel settings'. Does this mean that for instance on the DVD input you can set your speakers to all small and sub=on, then say for CD you can set your fronts to large and sub=off?

If so, that would be cool and that's a feature I've always wanted.

#60464 - 05/24/06 07:27 PM Re: 990 UPdate is pretty darn good
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawnee, KS
darth,

What I meant by multiple channel setting on the BA is: You can save 2 different presets of all channel levels (L/C/R/SR/SBR/SBL/SL/SW) and call them as a preset. You can also adjust the levels on the fly very easily and in effect, this gives you a third set of channel levels.

That was one thing I didn't like about the 990. If you adjust a channel on the fly, it saves the value even when the unit is turned off/on. The BA makes it easy to go back to your orignal settings by calling one of two saved presets.

The BA still only has global speaker set-up (crossovers, sub out). It does give more adjustment as you can set multiple sub channel levels for different types of decoding schemes.

#60465 - 05/24/06 08:36 PM Re: 990 UPdate is pretty darn good
Darth Tater Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: South Carolina
Having seperate levels for DD/DTS and maybe even 5 channel stereo (the sub is 10 times louder in 5 channel stereo) would be really nice as well.

I still would love to be able to have different speaker configurations on each input..or at least different settings for surround sources and 2 channel sources.

Oh well, maybe the next update from Outlaw?

#60466 - 05/25/06 09:41 PM Re: 990 UPdate is pretty darn good
blaineh Offline
Gunslinger

Ritz
The change to PL2 is not spontanious, it happens if you set a PCM stereo source to, let's say, upsample mode. It will stay in that mode until it is hit with some other signal type (like DD or DTS) in that case it will decode as expected. But when you hit it with PCM again, it will not return to Upsample, but the dreaded PL2 cinama.
If you set a preset button to the upsample mode, and only play PCM through it, It will retain the setting. And of course you can set a second button with the same digital input, and set it's preset to, let's say, DD+PL2 music. If you hit this with PCM, it will go to PL2c, but when DD comes back it will keep it's preset (DD+PL2m) However, the other button, with it's Upsample WILL NOT retain when PCM is changed to DD and back to PCM (PL2 now)
This is just how it worked before the update.
However, now the PL2 DOES sound better and I can easily see what mode I am in before changing it.
Upgrade is sure better in many ways, for sure do it.
But, the real annoyanace left is this. Also, I want to have PL2 attached to any DTS track. I can't preselect this, unless a DTS siganl is present (same as before) But, I haven't tested to see if it retaines the last applied processing used with DTS when it sees DTS again after a DD or PCM siganl. If it does, that would be cool...

#60467 - 05/25/06 09:53 PM Re: 990 UPdate is pretty darn good
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It's interesting that you mention that - in light of the assortment of things that have been tweaked in the new firmware, I've been tinkering around with some testing to see how it behaves when surround modes change, and I think the behavior you describe has been resolved. My test was to have an input of a certain type, assign it to a processing mode, and then have a series of events that would cause it to re-acquire the original source (pause a DVD, go into the menu and back out, change inputs to a different format, turn the 990 off and back on, ...) - I haven't seen PCM behave that way in these tests.

#60468 - 05/26/06 06:57 AM Re: 990 UPdate is pretty darn good
blaineh Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk
I tested it, it failes When PCM is switched to DD and back to PCM only.
Try using your DVD as a CD player (PCM) then set the preset to upsample. Now use a DD DVD, and note results (switches to DDx, which is ok) then insert a CD again. Now it reverts to PL2
If you leave it on the same input when going from PCM, to DD, to PCM it renderes the Preset useless. Pressing the input botton again does not recall the old upsample setting either, in this case. If you always drive it with PCM, it does retain the setting. (but, the DVD as a cd player would do this, as well a dish network PCM music channels, and DD vidio)
See what I mean?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM