Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#60262 - 05/15/06 11:36 PM Problems setting Speaker Size
ZoFo Offline
Gunslinger

I just bought a couple of pairs of Floorstanders and wanted to run them full range so I tried setting the mains & surrounds to Large and its acting really flaky; I have been using small speakers so I never needed to play with the Speaker Size settings on my 990 before and just noticed this problem. I am unable to set my mains to Large but was able to set the surrounds to Large after a few tries, it keep switching back to small at first. I also had problems setting the Center Channel to None as I am not running one yet and it exhibited the same behavior. Its kind of an intermittent problem as I was able to set all speakers to large earlier today, but of course I could not leave it alone and had to go screw with it some more.

Is this part of the known problems with bass management, the ones that will be addressed in the soon to be released Patch? I will eventually set all of these speakers to small when I relocate my sub and it won’t matter, just curious if I am seeing things!
Eastern Electric Mini-Max DAC
Vortex Appliance
Squeezebox Touch w/Bolder digital mod & PS
Cardas Speaker/Interconnect Cables
Velodyne EQ-Max 10

65" Panasonic VT-30 ISF Calibrated
Outlaw 7700
Outlaw 990
Integra 80.2
Onix Ref 1.5 - Ref-100 w/Ninja Masters/NoRez
Oppo BDP-93
Hsu VTF-3 MKII RW
Furman Elite
BlueJean Cables

#60263 - 05/16/06 07:43 AM Re: Problems setting Speaker Size
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
This is a bit curious and not something I've heard about or encountered. If you have the sub set to "off" then the fronts must be large - it's the only option allowed. On the other hand, when the fronts are set to small I don't believe that you are allowed to set the other channels to large.

#60264 - 05/16/06 02:42 PM Re: Problems setting Speaker Size
ZoFo Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for the reply Gonk, I will do a proper test tonight to see exactly what it is doing with certian settings; once I noticed that it was acting odd and not letting me keep a setting I was trying all different kinds of combinations including sub settings. What I found most odd was that it would toggle the settings on its own; for instance in the Speaker Size Menu I would arrow over and set the surrounds to large and and then it would "pop" back to small on its own. I had a very hard time setting the center channel to "None" and had to go in and out of the Menu a few times to get it to take. This has nothing to do with bass mgmt or sub setup since its just a configuration parameter so why would I have problems setting it to none? You should be able to "disable" a channel by setting it to none, even if speakers are connected correct?
Vortex Appliance
Velodyne EQ-Max 10

Outlaw 7700
Outlaw 990
Integra 80.2
Oppo BDP-93
Hsu VTF-3 MKII RW
Furman Elite
BlueJean Cables

#60265 - 05/16/06 02:56 PM Re: Problems setting Speaker Size
gonk Offline
Desperado

That's pretty bizarre sounding, ZoFo, but I do know of a couple cases when changing one setting will affect others. If you set the sub to none, the mains will "pop" to large. If you set the mains to "small" the other channels will follow suit. Also, there's a bug relating to the center and surrounds - you can't set both to "none" simultaneously (so with your center already disabled, "none" wouldn't be an option for the surrounds).

#60266 - 05/16/06 03:59 PM Re: Problems setting Speaker Size
ZoFo Offline
Gunslinger

I am also going to break out the origional 990 remote when I try again tonight; I have been using my MX-700 and that might have something to do with it?
Vortex Appliance
Velodyne EQ-Max 10

Outlaw 7700
Outlaw 990
Integra 80.2
Oppo BDP-93
Hsu VTF-3 MKII RW
Furman Elite
BlueJean Cables

#60267 - 05/16/06 04:01 PM Re: Problems setting Speaker Size
gonk Offline
Desperado

If it's still misbehaving, that'd be worth a try - if the navigation buttons learned a "double signal" somehow you could potentially get some weird effect in menus. I haven't run into that with my MX-700, but I know I've had things like that happen with learning remotes in the past.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 128 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts