Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#6017 - 02/14/06 04:54 PM Popping sound with refridgerator compressor
Cisco Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Eatontown, New Jersey
Anybody know of any tricks to get rid of popping noises from speakers resulting from the powering on and or off of a refridgerator compressor. I am experiencing this symptom at work with my computer speakers and our water cooler as well as on my 1050 home theater setup with my minifridge. I have my 1050 plugged into a Belkin A/V surge strip and the fridge is using the same outlet. Any suggestions?

#6018 - 02/14/06 05:03 PM Re: Popping sound with refridgerator compressor
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Sadly the best solution is to get your 1050 and fridge on separate circuits - not the easiest solution, but a pretty sure-fire one generally (assuming the overall house service isn't pretty severely undersized, which it shouldn't be). Excluding that, a power conditioner might help smooth things out when the compressor inrush hits, but I'm not sure if it would be a completely successful solution. I felt like I had pretty decent luck with weeding out noise from the fridge at my old house when I added a Panamax MAX5100 before I got a separate circuit run to the equipment rack, but it's been a few years and I only had the Panamax in place for a couple of weeks before the dedicated circuit went in.

#6019 - 03/11/06 10:36 PM Re: Popping sound with refridgerator compressor
waynedunham Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Burlington, CT, USA
Another thing to look at is your speaker wiring. I had a similar problem with my setup and my circulator motor on my furnace. (hot water baseboard)

Every time the circulator would come on I'd get a POP from my rear speakers.
I had the wires for the rear speakers running through the floor, across the basement and back up throught he floor to the rear speakers at the back of the room.

The wires were running along a central beam in the basement which just happened to be very near the wiring for the furnace components. I simply moved the speaker wires a couple feet away from that wiring and haven't heard a pop since. (well over 5 years now)

#6020 - 03/12/06 01:00 PM Re: Popping sound with refridgerator compressor
Cisco Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Eatontown, New Jersey
Picked myself up a Panamax 5100 which did the trick for my Outlaw; however, my computer is still the same. I have the computer speakers plugged into an APC UPC which is plugged into a Belkin surge strip. I still have the loud popping noise. Looks like I'm going to have to run an extension cord to get my computer on a different circuit altogether.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 120 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts