Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#6003 - 01/18/06 11:43 AM CD/DVD bass management
Brad225 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa Fl
I have been look at a lot of posts about CD/DVD players. There is much concern about the bass management capabilities of any given unit. How does the bass management on the player relate to how the signal is processed and sounds after processing by your pre/pro and amp?

#6004 - 01/18/06 12:16 PM Re: CD/DVD bass management
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
CD players will not offer any bass management, so to some degree it's a moot point. DVD players will offer some bass management on multichannel analog outputs, assuming they have onboard Dolby Digital and/or DTS decoders, but that bass management only relates to the analog output - digital output is unaffected by the player. The bass management issue gets complex due to two factors: players with good two-channel DAC's for CD listening, and SACD/DVD-Audio/universal players that force you to use the multichannel analog outputs.

For players that have good enough DAC's that you want to use the stereo analog output rather than use digital output and your receiver or processor's DAC's, you want to be able to make sure the analog signal passes through the receiver without being converted back to digital and processed. That requires an analog bypass, and since the stereo output from the player has no bass management the question often becomes what (if any) bass management can be applied at the receiver or processor when using analog bypass. In general, options are very limited - the left and right channels should get an unaltered signal, but it is sometimes possible to generate a signal for the subwoofer.

For multichannel analog output, many players (especially older ones) can't do bass management on high-res audio (SACD and DVD-Audio), which once again raises the question of what can be done at the receiver or processor. At one time, there was even less possible here - that's why Outlaw came out with the ICBM a number of years ago. More recently, processors (and some receivers) have offered a couple of options. Some will convert the analog input to digital and apply digital bass management. The 990 does this if the speakers are set to small in the 990's setup menu, and the 1070 and 970 will do this if the analog bass management switch on the rear panel is set to "digital." A very few cases will offer a basic 80Hz analog crossover network - first seen on Outlaw's Model 950, this has appeared on a few other products (including the 1070 and 970 when the rear panel switch is set to "HPF/LPF"). All of these options have to be balanced with the player's capabilities. Basic bass management (large or small speakers and a fixed crossover at 80Hz or 100Hz) is pretty much standard for Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, and more and more players are applying the same bass management to SACD and/or DVD-Audio. The trick is finding out if the bass management really does work for SACD and DVD-Audio, and if the crossover used is what you want.

#6005 - 01/18/06 08:59 PM Re: CD/DVD bass management
jmacari Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rhode Island
I run my CD (Rotel 1072) thru the analog inputs and run it in Bypass analog mode; with this routine, the 990 is doing bass management thru my subwoofer. I've got my front speakers (floorstanding Apogee Centaur Minors-they're a hybrid ribbon speaker) set to small. I am really satisfied with the sound I'm getting from this setup. I was a little concerned initially with what this would sound like. The speakers and CD player were migrated from a strictly audio, amp-preamp set up... But after setting up the 990 and 7125 amp, I am really amazed at the sound. I never had much bass with this speaker setup before(no sub with audio setup), so it has been quite an improvement.....
Anthem MRX-500/ Outlaw 7500, Paradigm Studio 100's Fronts, Paradigm CC-590 Center, Phase Technology Dipole rears , Martin Logan Dynamo sub, Oppo BDP-103, DIRECTV H22-200 DVR HD receiver, Samsung PN60E8000 3D Plasma 60"
2nd System
B&K ST 202 Amp, Outlaw 990, Rotel RCD 1072CD, Yaqin CD 1 Tube Buffer, Apogee Centaur Minors, Phase Technology Model 10 Sub, Rotel RP-855 turntable, Panasonic DMP-BD30, DIRECTV H21-700 DVR HD receiver, Free Agent Home Theatre+, Vizio 40" LED

Who's Online
0 registered (), 143 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts