Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#5999 - 01/16/06 09:06 AM Connecting 2 LFM-2
dwmayo1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Please bear with me as this may sound elementary to some.

I currently have 1 LFM 2 connected to my system and I would like to add second LFM 2 to my system.

If I use a "y-splitter" to add the second sub, am I in essence reducing the signal to each sub by 50%?

Is it better to have just one big sub or two smaller subs with the same wattage?

If the pre-amp has two connections on the rear panel for subs, would the signal strength to both subs be the same as if there were only one sub connected?

Thanks for being patient with me on this one. Look forward to comments.

dm

#6000 - 01/16/06 09:27 AM Re: Connecting 2 LFM-2
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If you use a splitter, then there would be a slight drop in signal to each sub, but you'd need to re-calibrate your subwoofer settings in the receiver anyway upon adding the second sub - the drop will not be something you notice.

There are arguments either way on a single sub vs two or more smaller subs. If you already have one sub and want to add another identical, doing so may be easier than selling the existing sub and buying a larger sub. Two subs can also help counteract room effects.

If the pre-amp has two sub connections, I would use them both rather than adding a splitter to one of them. The signal path would be identical (same information going to each sub), but I suspect the two connections at the pre-amp would not suffer from the signal drop of a splitter.

#6001 - 01/16/06 10:54 AM Re: Connecting 2 LFM-2
dwmayo1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Thanks Gonk! when I purchased the LFM 2, I always knew I wanted to add another LFM 2 but was not sure what impact this would have on the signal.

When one "re-calibrates" as you refer to in you rpost, this the result of the second sub, are your referring to changing the crossovers points?

thanks for your involvement.

dm

#6002 - 01/16/06 11:09 AM Re: Connecting 2 LFM-2
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
By re-calibrate, I mean get the SPL meter back out and adjust your subwoofer trim at the receiver - with two subs working together and one sub that hasn't had the built-in amp's volume set, you'll need to make some changes.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts