Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#5986 - 02/01/06 05:41 PM Re: DIY Room Treatment
GIK Acoustics Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
YOu are totally right and I am very sorry.. Guess I get going and just can't stop... Trust me it is more about bragging then selling..
BTW, if you are building them I am more then happy to answer any questions you may have..

Sorry about that guys

#5987 - 02/02/06 07:13 PM Re: DIY Room Treatment
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Miami
On the subject of DIY room treatments , I read that rolls of fiberglass insulation such as you would find in a hardware store actually make pretty effective bass traps. Has anyone heard of this and does it really work?

#5988 - 02/02/06 08:59 PM Re: DIY Room Treatment
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawnee, KS
wingnut,

You could do this. As I mentioned, I started experimenting using fiberglass ceiling tiles. It gave me an idea of how things would sound, then I went for the GIK panels.

Glenn,

I have put some R-3(10" thick) fiberglass in the ceiling all along the first reflection point. I have also sealed the room as their used to be gaps at the top of the two walls I built above the ceiling tiles. It has added what appears to be the final touch. I am very happy with things now and think I will wait on any additional panels. I'll see what I think next month laugh . Thanks again for all the help.

#5989 - 02/03/06 08:17 AM Re: DIY Room Treatment
GIK Acoustics Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

See I told you that would most likely do the trick... Now go tell the wife I saved you about $200.00 in more panels.. ha ha ha

wingnut,

Yes the bags of fluffy fiberglass works pretty well.. Make sure you stack it from floor to ceiling in all corners.. You might find though that using rigid fiberglass is going to save you money.. Last time I was at Lowes I think a bag of fiberglass was over $25.00 and you would need 4 for each corner (or more depending on room size)..
But the bag fiberglass is nice because you don't even need to take it out of the bad.. Just stack it up and you are done!

Glenn

#5990 - 02/03/06 08:39 AM Re: DIY Room Treatment
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawnee, KS
Glenn,

With all the dough I have dropped on electornincs and my HT room in the last six months (bought 2 Outlaw 755 amps, Outlaw 990, Velodyne SMS-1, Emotiva UL combo, Outlaw LFM-1, and of course the GIK panels -- crap, I think I may have a problem) I think it would still hurt me to point out that I saved a couple hundred bucks. Seeing that in writing, I better take the wife out shopping this weekend.

wingnut,

I'm assuming you are single? laugh

#5991 - 02/03/06 10:02 AM Re: DIY Room Treatment
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Thanks Glenn. I was in the Home Depot to look at the bags and they are mighty huge. Is it important to stack them all the way up or is it ok to stack them halfway? I am just concerned about aesthetics. Also , can I cover them with cloth?

OR...

How about if I were to stuff a couple of tall , rectangular boxes with the insulation. Would that work at all? TIA

Doug,

Not single laugh but I have a pretty understanding partner that will put up with a lot. Besides, I do the decorating so as long as I can camoflauge stuff or at least make it look cool everything is ok.

#5992 - 02/04/06 07:04 AM Re: DIY Room Treatment
GIK Acoustics Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Doug,

I am more of a studio guy, but I totally understand what you are talking about.. The only I get a way with buy gear is to claim TESTING to my girlfriend... Sometimes it works and sametimes the BS flag goes up.. smile

Wingnut,

You can try it half way up and see how it goes.. I have only heard of people doing it that way and have not tested a room that way. But more is better...
I will test it and see what I come up with... I will report the graphs to you.. It may take a month or so..

#5993 - 02/04/06 12:16 PM Re: DIY Room Treatment
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Excellent! Thanks laugh

#5994 - 02/13/06 07:57 PM Re: DIY Room Treatment
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Just an update on the insulation bass traps:

I am still experimenting with sub placement and this week I placed my sub in the RF corner. I like it here but I had a dip from about 80hz to 100hz of about 10db. I tried adjusting the phase etc. to no avail. Still an ugly dip...SO......

I got a couple of rolls of Owens Corning R-13 and stuffed them in the FL corner of the room just to see if it would have any effect at all. Well to my surprise, it almost entirely flattened out the dip and brought it up almost the whole 10 db. eek eek I was amazed!! Cool trick.

#5995 - 02/14/06 07:25 AM Re: DIY Room Treatment
GIK Acoustics Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

See I ain't so dum!!!! ha ha ha..

Glad I could help you out!!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users