Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#5976 - 01/31/06 07:10 AM Re: DIY Room Treatment
GIK Acoustics Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Hey Doug,

Thank you very much for the kind words and please let me know if there is any other things I can help you out with.. I think you and I talked on the phone yesterday (sorry if I have you mixed up with someone else) let me know how the ceiling comes out with the fiberglass..

Glenn

#5977 - 01/31/06 08:58 AM Re: DIY Room Treatment
chas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Minnesota
Doug - looking forward to the pics and more info!

#5978 - 01/31/06 05:52 PM Re: DIY Room Treatment
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Hey Glenn,

Does this mean I get a referral discount if I get some of your panels? laugh

Seriously, I'm putting an offer in on a house tomorrow so maybe in a few months I'll be contacting you...

#5979 - 01/31/06 10:43 PM Re: DIY Room Treatment
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawnee, KS
I had a couple minutes to take some pics tonight (excuse the room and cabling, it's still a mess). I am waiting to recieve some new cables and may add a few more panels (my paneling is way too reflective) and some fiberglass in the ceiling before I really clean things up.

Overall the panels have easily made the biggest difference thinking back on any single piece I have added to my HT (perhaps even any two pieces I have added). I went with the following panels:

--Corners (4)- GIK 7.5 inch panels (Glenn hasn't named them yet)
--First Reflections (2)- GIK 242 panels with stands

Things I notice after adding the panels include the following:

--Sweet spot is much wider now
--Much tighter bass - especially in Jazz and music
--Crystal clear dialogue
--More identifiable positions between speakers across the front channels
--Bipolars in rear seem to be more localized for rear effects
--Front-to-back and circular pans are smoother
--Echo in the room has been nearly eliminated
--Panels have also greatly reduced light reflections in the front of the room

I think I will probably add 3 more of the 242 panels or perhaps 1 of the 244 and 2 of the 242 panels. I am thinking of putting one horizontally behind my center channel reaching out towards the L/R channels, 1 on the ceiling at the first reflection point and 1 on the back wall at the ceiling/wall joint centered on the wall or possible between the speakers (feel free to throw me a bone here Glenn as you can get a better idea of what I am dealing with from the pics).

I have wondered about room treatment for a long time, but always ended up buying something flashier or with buttons and knobs. I now know this should have been one of the first things I did. I may have it worse than most due to my room being super reflective, but it has made a huge difference in the perceived sound in the room. Glenn has been great to work with and is a fun guy to talk to as well. His products are for real, and like Outlaw, provide great bang for your buck.

I will update things again when I am finished adding fiberglass and additional panels. Feel free to ask me anything in the mean time as it may take me a while to accomplish all this.

Glenn, a few comments / suggestions:

1) The wire you send with the panels for hanging them hurts when you poke yourself with a strand (yes I found out). I ended up using 16 gauge speaker wire with the plastic sheathing and tied it to the eyelets. This worked very well and was much easier to work with.

2) On the stands, I ended up putting an extra eyelet on each side towards the bottom and an extra eyelet at the bottom of each panel to be mounted on the stands. I then used twine to pull the panels secure against the frames at both the top and bottom. Just securing the top did not keep the panel secure enough against the stand and when moving them if would fall down over the horizontal ridge at the bottom. Adding the eyelet and twine negated this and the panels can be easily moved without comming off.

3) You should sell some sort of mounting brackets as well. I ended up using some small knobs (they were actually pieces from my old speaker brackets) that only required two screws so I wouldn't have to really deface any walls. These would be especially helpful when trying to space something out away from the wall.

#5980 - 02/01/06 07:17 AM Re: DIY Room Treatment
GIK Acoustics Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hey Doug,

Wow man those pictures look great.. Thank you so much for taking the time to not only take the pictures but describing the effects you are receiving.. Most people just don't understand how much the room can effect sound..

>1) The wire you send with the panels for hanging them hurts when you poke yourself with a strand (yes I found out). I ended up using 16 gauge speaker wire with the plastic sheathing and tied it to the eyelets. This worked very well and was much easier to work with.<

I am going to give this some thought and see if maybe we can come up with something.. Either that or I am going to send Band-Aids with the panels.. smile

>2) On the stands, I ended up putting an extra eyelet on each side towards the bottom and an extra eyelet at the bottom of each panel to be mounted on the stands. I then used twine to pull the panels secure against the frames at both the top and bottom. Just securing the top did not keep the panel secure enough against the stand and when moving them if would fall down over the horizontal ridge at the bottom. Adding the eyelet and twine negated this and the panels can be easily moved without coming off.<

The stands are brand new, so I am sure it will go through many changes.. The thought at first was to make a stand that even the DYI people could use, so your idea would still work well..

>3) You should sell some sort of mounting brackets as well. I ended up using some small knobs (they were actually pieces from my old speaker brackets) that only required two screws so I wouldn't have to really deface any walls. These would be especially helpful when trying to space something out away from the wall.<

We did come up with something for the corner mounting but after we installed it we concluded that it still was not any easier to mount.. Work in progress, work in progress.. smile

Before you buy any more panels get the ceiling done and lets see what you have.. I know I should tell you just to buy more, but it will become more clear what you need after the ceiling is done..

Keep me posted,

Glenn

#5981 - 02/01/06 09:31 AM Re: DIY Room Treatment
GIK Acoustics Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hey Everyone,

Just one other note.. There is a website called AV Science where a person did a case study of acoustics in his home theater.. The link is
http://www.sbrjournal.net/currentissue/articles/acoustics/Acoustics.htm
I think it is very well written and easy to read..

Glenn

#5982 - 02/01/06 12:10 PM Re: DIY Room Treatment
chas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Minnesota
Nice job Doug...looks great to me (but my wife would freak if and when I make such a move).

What's with the new 7.5 inch corner panels? Something new from GIK...lower bass absorption?

#5983 - 02/01/06 02:42 PM Re: DIY Room Treatment
GIK Acoustics Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Oh the monster trap?? Yea this baby is really pretty cool.. The nice thing is you don't need to fill up your room full of traps.. Actaully 2 in the front corners with maybe a couple more 244's in the room would pretty much do it..

Panel specs
Weight: 29.2 pounds
Dimensions: 2'x4' 7.5 inches thick

#5984 - 02/01/06 02:47 PM Re: DIY Room Treatment
GIK Acoustics Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Ok one last SHAMELESS bragging point, but this is a email I got this morning from a person who got 2 Monsters and 2 244's:

Glenn

This is bar FAR the best UPGRADE or is it ADDITION I have ever made...I was
never skeptical that it would work, what I was skeptical was more if there
was going to enough impact to make me say WOW...and boy oh boy..this was the
1st time that I was truly blown away. For the 1st time I actually enjoyed 2
channel music..I never knew why so many people enjoyed it so much but when
I sat down and played some of my favorite tunes, I went up to my center
speaker because i thought it was on - music seemed centered - I literally
couldnt tell where the music was coming from..guitars, bass was so different
but it felt right..the boominess is gone, the certain ambience
difference..that impressed me, I felt like I was in acoustical room - I
played a scene from Harry Potter Prisoner of Azkaban, when their in the
squeaky house and you can actually feel the depth in that part that I never
knew existed...CAN YOU TELL HOW EXCITED I AM...I didnt get to sleep till
midnight..and I get up at 4:45a.m for work...I placed the monsters up front
in the corners and the other 244 I put in the back corners (all straddle to
the corners and left on standing -not mounted)..my wife didnt mind me just
having them there..that always helps..

Anyways..look for me to write a poor mans review on your product on
audiocircle and AV123...Can I buy more?? ahh..I almost had you..I will later
but for now I think I have an awesome balance for HT and Music..not too dead
and definitely not too alive...

DAMN I didnt know 2 x 4 was that big..ah..I forgot..Im short...

#5985 - 02/01/06 03:18 PM Re: DIY Room Treatment
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I know I'm sort of responsible for getting GIK introduced to this board, but, please remember this is the Outlaw board. Posting unrelated customer reviews on another companies board is a little over the top...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts