Gunslinger

Loc: Big D, Tx
Hey Automatic,
what kind of projector?

#59447 - 04/21/06 01:20 AM Re: 990 great!! for about 4 hours
bimmerman2 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: NW Washington
Got my new unit this week, everything flawless so far, have had it up now for around 24 hrs no problems. Hometurf, I would check the cable runs and outputs from the amp as well as the input mode as suggested above. Still prefer this unit over the Rotel (which was more expensive at the time) for both movies and 2ch music. Im running a Cambridge Audio Azure 640C for cd's so im actually running analog into the 990, I really like the Wolfson dac's in the Cambridge, anyone know how they stack up to the 990's? This is what is perplexing to me as how this can sound better on the 990, I'm running the cd analog with bypass as the mode, so basically straight through, was doing the same with the Rotel, yet I prefer the 990. I have always thought the Rotel to be a dry sounding, with a soundstage that was not very well defined. When I purchased it I also auditioned a Parasound pre/pro that sounded similar to the 990, nice and up front, well dimensioned, but it had some problems with backgound noise in DTS so I went with the Rotel.
And automatic, I feel your pain with projectors, went through unpleasantries with a Sony Cineza a while back. beleive it or not im happy with my new Proj, its a (dont laugh) Sanyo PLV Z-3. It plays nice with the 990. I had to go LCD cause im one of the unlucky rainbow artifact observers but cant afford the new gen dlps that have alleviated this problem.
So to get to the bottom of the story big thumbs up to Outlaw customer service, they made it right and dealt with my problem faster than any other company I have ever had to deal with. Heck, I even got a reply on the customer service board here on the web after hours on a Sat. night!! Now thats service.

#59448 - 04/21/06 07:18 AM Re: 990 great!! for about 4 hours
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Glad to hear that Outlaw got you back on track, bimmerman2!
Quote:
This is what is perplexing to me as how this can sound better on the 990, I'm running the cd analog with bypass as the mode, so basically straight through, was doing the same with the Rotel, yet I prefer the 990.
You've Cambridge's DAC's are still doing the serious work, but you've got a different analog signal path through the processor that should be effectively transparent. The 990 is probably doing a better job of that - that's one aspect of the 990 that particularly impressed me very early on.

#59449 - 04/21/06 06:31 PM Re: 990 great!! for about 4 hours
Automatic Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Southwest WA
tmdlp,

To answer your question, my front projector is an Optoma H79. It's a 720p DLP unit and has a fantastic three-dimensional picture with great shadow detail on HD material. The overtemps and ($400) lamp failures seem to be all too common though. However, reading about other PJ's seems to indicate that the lamp in front projectors is the weakest link in general.

bimmerman2,

Have heard of your Sanyo, but haven't seen one. Hey, the world of 16:9 / 720p is great, no matter how you get there! laugh Regarding the rainbows associated with single-chip DLP PJ's, I can see them if I look for them, but can tune them out most of the time. Really glad to hear that Outlaw Customer Support treated you well. Word of mouth is such a powerful factor for ANY business.

Cheers!
Outlaw 990 / Cinepro 3K6 MkIII Amp (375 Watts X 6 - balanced) / three M&K S-150's (LCR) / two M&K SS-150 surrounds / two M&K MX-350 Subs (all THX) / Clark Transducer / DISH 622 HD Sat. Rec. / PS3 / Panasonic PT-AE4000 Front Proj. / 110” Stewart ST 130 Screen

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts