Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#5936 - 09/30/05 06:54 PM Hum Fixed - Advice on Method
Snarl Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
I have a Denon AVR-3805 Receiver, the power cord "does not" have a Ground Pin on the Plug. The power chord on the Outlaw Amp "does" have a Ground Pin on the Plug. These are both plugged into the same circuit/Outlet and my CD Player and DVD Player are pluged into the Denon.

I have had a very slight Hum that can be heard on my speakers from -79dB to +18dB on the volume control, it does not get any louder as you turn up the volume and is basically inaudible when music/ht is playing however it still bugs me. I know this is a Ground loop issue and have fixed it by running a ground wire from a screw in the Denon's Chassis to a screw in the Outlaw's Chassis.

My question is.. Can I hurt anything with this repair ? it has completely removed the Hum and every thing "seems" fine, the mechaninc in me says everything should be okay and there should be no issues however I know enough to know I don't know enough if you get my drift . Can anyone advise of any possible dangers/concerns with this approach ? any similar experiences ?

Thank You

Another Guy From Canada
Outlaw 990 Preamp/Processor
Outlaw 755 Amplifier
2 x Paradigm Monitor 11's Mains
2 x Paradigm Monitor 7's Surrounds
1 x Paradigm CC-370 Center
1 x Paradigm PW-2100 Sub

#5937 - 09/30/05 07:06 PM Re: Hum Fixed - Advice on Method
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
I would say that your solution is just right. Is it the only one? Maybe not, but it is simple, inexpensive, effective and I can't think of any problems your solution would introduce as you have it set up right now.

Back in the phonograph days (who remembers back to when "stereo high-fidelity" was the latest advance in audio?), there were ground wires to run from the turntable to the preamp and/or amplifier as a hum-elimination solution.

Congrats!

#5938 - 09/30/05 07:48 PM Re: Hum Fixed - Advice on Method
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
snarl,i did the same thing,for other reasons.

static electricity last winter would cause a shock and sometimes a shutdown whenever i touched my 1050.the 1050 had no 3 prong,i ran a 'strap' from 1050 to b&k amp.problem solved.

#5939 - 10/01/05 08:23 AM Re: Hum Fixed - Advice on Method
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
That brings up an interesting question....why not use a standard IEC plug on all Outlaw gear? That way, there is an external ground by default and it allows people who believe in such things to "upgrade" their power cords.

Cheers,

#5940 - 10/01/05 09:40 AM Re: Hum Fixed - Advice on Method
Snarl Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
Thanks for the input guy's, my system's running great and ultra silent smile I don't know why all plugs don't have a ground pin perhaps the logic is that with no Ground Pins there should be no Ground Loops.

I also got a quick response from the Outlaws who indicated no problems with my solution, fast, quick and courteous customer service response.

My fix seemed too easy to me (cheap, effective) and as you may know the time to worry the most is when things go so well and straight forward smile

Another Guy From Canada
Outlaw 990 Preamp/Processor
Outlaw 755 Amplifier
2 x Paradigm Monitor 11's Mains
2 x Paradigm Monitor 7's Surrounds
1 x Paradigm CC-370 Center
1 x Paradigm PW-2100 Sub

Who's Online
0 registered (), 189 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts