Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#59296 - 07/19/06 10:50 PM Re: HD/DVD and BLU-RAY with 990
Pink's Ale Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Houston
I read an interesting idea on the AVS Forum to allow 7.1 analog from the HD-A1. The idea was to split the output of the RS and LS into two channels each. Then adjust the channel levels accordingly.

This makes sense since the rear surrounds are usually just taken from the right and left surrounds when the signal is not true 7.1.

What are your thoughts on this?

#59297 - 07/19/06 11:05 PM Re: HD/DVD and BLU-RAY with 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It's an interesting idea - and the splitting of the signal alone will probably incur a few dB of reduction to begin with (although I'd still recommend fetching the trusty SPL meter and adjusting the surround levels at the HD-A1). Perhaps not as effective as good processing to produce surround backs (there's more happening than simply making a copy), but it could be fun to play with at least.

There's also the old "pseudo-EX" trick of feeding the left and right surrounds into an old Pro Logic receiver and producing a mono surround back signal from the "center" output of the receiver.

#59298 - 07/20/06 09:43 PM Re: HD/DVD and BLU-RAY with 990
dvdguru Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I've had the HD-D1 hddvd player since launch hooked up to my 990/7125. I have the rear channels split as mentioned above thru the analog outputs. It sounds better to me that way so I would say get some Y-adapters and give it a try. The Dolby Digital Plus sound thru analog is awesome! I watched The Chronicles of Riddick and Pitch Black this week and they were just exceptional in both picture and sound!
Panasonic TH50PHD7UY HD Plasma
Toshiba HD-XA2 HdDvd Player
Panasonic BD-10 BluRay Player
Paradigm Studio 60 v.3
Paradigm CC690 Center v.4
Paradigm ADP470 Side & rear surrounds
SVS PB12 Plus/2 Sub

#59299 - 07/21/06 03:19 PM Re: HD/DVD and BLU-RAY with 990
E'pin Sen Ob Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
I have not tried this yet. I think I'll give it a go and see what happens. Could be interesting thanks for the idea pink's ale.

MY HOME THEATER PICTURES http://community.webshots.com/user/bonesnipe

#59300 - 08/01/06 10:34 PM Re: HD/DVD and BLU-RAY with 990
Colt Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Nashville, TN
Hi Guys,

I'm a recent convert to Outlaw gear, the 990, and have also recently purchased an HD Al.

I'm running my Directtv hd receiver and the HD A1 through the 990 using blue jean cable and radio shack hdmi/dvi cables. The satellite reception remains very good. However, I'm having trouble with the HD A1.

The HD A1 accepts the signal from the 990, but inevitably, while viewing an hd dvd film (most recently, Serenity and Sahara) the picture breaks up or sound drops out, but comes back out of sync, or the film breaks up and locks up. Usually hitting pause will remedy the problem, but it is very annoying.

I was wondering if any of you have experienced these problems, and if so, how did you remedy them.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Colt

#59301 - 08/01/06 11:19 PM Re: HD/DVD and BLU-RAY with 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Have you installed the new firmware for the HD-A1? I know the original firmware was significantly buggy, but the firmware released a month or so ago reportedly improved the behavior significantly.

#59302 - 08/02/06 01:52 AM Re: HD/DVD and BLU-RAY with 990
Colt Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Nashville, TN
Hello Gonk,

Thanks for responding.

My HDA1 was manufactured in May 06 and the firmware was v.1.2. I didn't have the Model 990 when I first purchased the A1. I was using an Aragon Soundstage which has neither DVI or HDMI switching capability. I was content to manually switch the hdmi cable between the sat receiver and the A1 as my Sony TV has only one hdmi input. Running the A1 directly into the tv produced a wonderful picture, and other than slow loading times, I experienced no problems with picture or sound.

Toshiba issued its most recent firmwire update, 1.4, a week or so after I had the unit home. I rec'd the update disc and installed the new version. I continued switching the cable manually even after I purchased the 990. It took me until last week to pickup the hdmi/dvi cables. And that is when the switching problems I mentioned in my earlier post began.

I watched the standard dvd of V for Vendetta this evening and didn't experience any problems. This is the only standard dvd I've watched since hooking the 990 and A1 together. Perhaps the errant behavior I'm experiencing is confined to only the hidef discs.

I'm happy with both the 990 & A1. However, I wish they would learn to play well together.

#59303 - 08/02/06 12:29 PM Re: HD/DVD and BLU-RAY with 990
mm_half3 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: South Florida
Colt,

I have the HD-A1 using the 990's dvi switching, and saw similar problems when viewing two disks, Van Helsing, and Assault on Prec 13. They were both rentals from netflix, and I am pretty sure the problem with Assault was a scratch...there was a loud pop before it froze, and it really froze. Could duplicate it at same scene. I have watched two other rentals (Dukes and Phantom) without any issues, and the one hd-dvd I purchased, Serenity, played fine without any problems. I think/hope the issues are disk related, but not sure since my sample is pretty small now...but have read that the HD-A1 is real sensitve to disk imperfections.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Who's Online
0 registered (), 135 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts