Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5907 - 09/04/05 12:50 PM Remote Recomendation?
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Miami
I currently have a Harmony remote and I learned the other night that it does not accept RF signals. That leaves out some programming for lighting that I have in my HT. Can anyone recommend a remote as good as the Harmony (or better) that does both If and RF signals and does not cost an arm and a leg? I really like the Harmony feature of just pressing one button to control a partcular activity so I would want soething that would still do that. TIA.

#5908 - 09/04/05 02:11 PM Re: Remote Recomendation?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Harmony's interface is pretty unique (the approach of defining activities instead of operating individual devices). With some macro programming, however, you can emulate it to a great degree with some other remotes. The remotes with RF capability that come to mind first are the newer Universal remotes - starting at the MX-850 at the top of their line (about $400 , although you might be able to find it for less on eBay) and moving through the MX-600 or MX-650 (about $250 for either of them at BlueDo) down to the MX-350 (about $150 ). The 650 might be your best bet as far as value goes, since it has enough macro capability to start to duplicate the activity behavior of the Harmony.

#5909 - 09/04/05 04:15 PM Re: Remote Recomendation?
AudioBear Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Champaign, IL
Harmony just posted the 890 on their website. It has RF and second room capability and lists for $399. It will take a while to hit street prices but ti looks pretty nifty.

Check it out if you like Harmony. I am going to get one.

#5910 - 09/06/05 01:41 PM Re: Remote Recomendation?
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Miami
Thanks. I looked it up and put myself on their email list for availabiliy. I like the Harmony so much I will just wait for that one to come out.

#5911 - 01/24/06 10:15 AM Re: Remote Recomendation?
Supertom Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Syracuse
I have a Harmony 880 and i DO NOT like it
first the graphics on my cell phone and Ipod are Much better ...... you really can't tell the difference between buttons by touch ...... but the thing that bothers me even more than having to go the internet to program it is NO MASTER VOLUME
Ex:I like to listen to music and watch tv at the same time so if i am moving from cd to cd and the Phone ring i have to switch back to the TV activity or the Receiver just to MUTE

#5912 - 01/24/06 10:25 AM Re: Remote Recomendation?
gonk Offline
Desperado

There's no volume punch-through? That sounds really strange - I can't believe they'd leave off an essential universal remote function like that. I wonder if any other Harmony 880 owners can offer some insight into that?

#5913 - 01/24/06 10:35 AM Re: Remote Recomendation?
Supertom Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Syracuse
Hi GONK
according to Logitech if i want a
MASTER VOLUME and control over all my device without switching back and forth
Devices:(3)400 Disc CDPlayers
Receiver
TV
Dvd
Vcr
Remote Lights
I would have to enter all my devices and there controls into ONE ACTIVITY (all while being online)
PS: Hey GONK i see you on here alot do you have something to do with OUTLAW ?

#5914 - 01/24/06 10:46 AM Re: Remote Recomendation?
AudioBear Offline
Gunslinger

I think there's something here that I am missing. I use a Logitech 880 and I have volume control in all activities because all activities are routed through the Outaw 990. I have six seperate activities and one volume control in all of them. Is Supertom using the volume control on both his TV and his receiver? And if so, why not route the TV through the receiver and let the receiver control it? What don't I get? Pleasee explain.

#5915 - 01/24/06 10:49 AM Re: Remote Recomendation?
AudioBear Offline
Gunslinger

I should have also added that I had some software hassles with my 880 at first but once I got that straightened out it has been quite good at doing everything I want. I think it's a good value and a good performer but I have no basis for comparison to to other remotes. All I can say is that it works fine and is easy to program once you get the hang of it.

#5916 - 01/24/06 10:51 AM Re: Remote Recomendation?
gonk Offline
Desperado

I'm not an official part of Outlaw - I'm just a long-time Outlaw owner who spends a lot of time in the forum.

Could you cheat by learning the volume control from your receiver remote onto the volume and mute buttons of the CD device?

You may be interested to know how the Universal Remote MX series handles volume punch-through. Each device can have the volume and mute buttons mapped to a different device. Transport controls and number pad allow the same punch-through ability, although I've never used it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 123 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts