Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5822 - 04/23/05 07:56 PM Why the 75db
dutch Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for the replies to analog vs digital. I did use the digital, b/c I had it. Here's the deal, my mains are set at 62db the center is at
64db and the rears are at about 61db. So why do most folks set there's to 75db? I think mine are playing plenty loud at this setting. Is there really anything to gain setting them louder?
This actually all started for me b/c my center I had lost some dialog, tweeked up the center and it is better.

#5823 - 04/23/05 08:17 PM Re: Why the 75db
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
no one likes a center with lost dialogue. 75 is just standard.

#5824 - 04/23/05 11:47 PM Re: Why the 75db
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
75dB is considered the "reference level" standard. The idea is that if you calibrate so that 0dB on the volume control yields 75dB on the test tone, listening at 0dB is the "reference" listening level. I've almost never seen anyone who actually listens routinely at that level, however, as it is extremely loud.

#5825 - 04/24/05 11:52 AM Re: Why the 75db
MCH Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk: When you say listening at 75db is really loud; are you saying setting the level with white noise test to 75db and then listening to material at that volume setting (that was produced by the white noise test) is by and large too loud? I don't know if there is a difference in 75db of white noise compared to 75db of actual listening material.
I'm curious. I find for my music listening pleasure my magic level (when actually measuring the music volume with a SPL meter) is about low 80s to low 90s (the fluctuations due to quieter passages and much fuller passages). I don't think I'm going deaf (even though my ears are 53yrs young). My younger boys don't say that my music is too loud.
I should check into this more. I suppose a visit for an audio checkup is in order. Just to make sure that I'm not losing more hearing than aging naturally does.

#5826 - 04/24/05 12:05 PM Re: Why the 75db
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm talking about calibrating to 75dB using test tones and then watching a DVD or listening to a CD with the volume at the 0dB position, not listening to material at a measured level of 75dB. If it's just me watching, I generally have my volume control around -15dB for CD's and -10dB to -5dB for DVD's. With others in the room, I tend to watch DVD's around -20dB. I very rarely push the volume up to the 0dB point.

It might be worthwhile for me to clarify something from my earlier post. I am not saying that to listen with the volume set to 0dB (or whatever other position you calibrated the system at) is strange, unusual, or excessive. There's of course no reason to avoid doing this, or to feel bad about if it you listen at this volume. On the other hand, there have been threads in the past where many people indicated that they almost never turned the volume up that loud, and that's OK too. Some people have even elected to calibrate the 0dB colume level to a different level with the test tones (such as 80dB on the meter, or 65dB on the meter). As with many other things in this hobby, there are no cast-in-stone requirements for calibration - it's best to take a recommended guideline such as that outlined in the 950's manual and then modify if necessary to suit your system and listening habits.

#5827 - 04/24/05 05:21 PM Re: Why the 75db
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
basically it is setting your unit up to read 0db which will output 75db read on the meter. you can adjust up or down from that "reference" mark. what does it really matter if you are setup for reference standards? nothing to me, id prefer to have it the way i like it, but it is a good starting point to find out what you like...

there are different ways that volumes are displayed/controlled, so you may not be able to adjust your unit to be 75db at 0db on the volume display. also louder could be -db or it could be +db. sometimes there are options to change the volume display. its like absolute or the normal way i think.

more than anything, id use the test tones to make sure each channel is delivering the same amount of sound potential to your listening position. what level that you set them to is irrelevant, but you do want all of the channels to be equally loud at the listening position(s).

#5828 - 04/24/05 05:48 PM Re: Why the 75db
dutch Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks all, I have the trim adjusted and my output is satisfactory to me. I did put in a test cd and checked it. I couldn't hear some low frequencies, didn't think these polks were "all of that" anymore. That is until my son came in, and asked about the noise coming from the speakers. So I dialed down the SPL meter to 60 and it started registering. So now I believe my youth spent listening to house bands ring side have caught up to me. Now I know I am adjusting my center to make up for what I have lost in hearing. I know, next stop is to an audiologist, [forgive the spelling] One of the problems with the aging process, I suppose nothing works quite as well as it used to.
One other thing, I personally don't like the digital spl meter, I think I will take it back and get/ or wait for the analogs to come in.

#5829 - 04/24/05 07:00 PM Re: Why the 75db
MCH Offline
Gunslinger

I guess my query isn't quite fully answered. I was curious to know what other people find comfortable, or moreso involving, db level of actual music sound level measurement. That is to say turn the volume to listening enjoyment and then measuring the level with a SPL meter.
I'm just curious to what people find as comfortable db listening levels as measured in actually music listening; not calibration dbs.

#5830 - 04/24/05 09:47 PM Re: Why the 75db
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
that little handheld meter could not read a 'normal' listening enviroment,if there was any kind of volume involved.

does it even go above 95db?weighted?
anybody could slam that with 10 w x ? + sub!

i don't own a meter,i should,but don't.

#5831 - 04/24/05 11:20 PM Re: Why the 75db
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Conyers,GA,USA
The Radio Shack meter will read up to 126db.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
1 registered (Outlaw Ben), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts