Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#57889 - 02/23/06 09:35 PM Re: 990 Question re HDMI
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I've heard that v1.3 may include a revision to the connector so it isn't so "fallout" prone. Pin-compatibility with previous versions would be necessary, of course, but the serious discussion of such a change is another reason that I look forward to HDMI really reaching maturity - in the meanwhile, my DVI connectors will be staying firmly in place. smile

#57890 - 02/23/06 09:40 PM Re: 990 Question re HDMI
syvlvr Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: So Cal
Maybe they will do something like sata for computers, which initially had the same problem and fell out way too often. Some sort of extra tension on the cable is what I have seen, ala a steel clamp arrangement on the connector.

#57891 - 02/23/06 10:23 PM Re: 990 Question re HDMI
gonk Offline
Desperado

From what I've seen, the HDMI connector is basically a scaled-up cousin to USB or FireWire, and I don't think even some extra clamping inside the contact area of the connector will be enough to bare the weight of long cables hanging off the rear panel or big DVI adapters. They probably won't go with thumb screws, but they may try something like the locking tab of XLR's. Or they may do nothing...

#57892 - 02/24/06 07:18 AM Re: 990 Question re HDMI
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
Again: if I'm missing something, please correct me.
I don't see what the big deal is about using HDMI.
If I didn;t have external speakers, amp, pre/pro etc I would want the HDMI for audio as well as video.
So I guess I would have to say that I think carrying the audio is for me (and maybe most of us) superfluous. Like who cares...unless you need to send audio to your TV speakers.

Corrections welcomed if needed.Thanx
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

#57893 - 02/24/06 08:57 AM Re: 990 Question re HDMI
gonk Offline
Desperado

For any current hardware, it is purely a convenience - you can get the same data from point A to point B with standard digital audio cables, and if you have a receiver or processor you will need at least two cables anyway (two HDMI's from source to receiver to display or HDMI from source to display and digital audio from source to receiver). I seriously doubt that folks are really stressed about that scenario.

For HD-DVD and Blu-ray, you start getting into a different situation. The only digital audio output allowed that will carry the new audio formats is HDMI - coax and optical will get you a scaled-down Dolby Digital or DTS output, not DD+, TrueHD, or DTS-HD. Without HDMI support (true support - with audio - not just video switching with an HDMI connector), we're all stuck having to use 7.1 analog audio connections (eight more interconnects). That is what I see as the source of the fuss about HDMI support.

#57894 - 02/24/06 11:00 AM Re: 990 Question re HDMI
obie_fl Offline
Gunslinger

I guess I'm in the minority but the big deal about HDMI for me "today" is a way to get SACD and DVD-A into my Pre-Pro. I know these formats haven't taken off big time, but I have a pretty big collection of them. Right now there is no way to get those formats into the Pre/Pro digitally. Why spend money on a nice Pre/Pro if you are only going to use it as an Analog PreAmp? If HDMI isn't ready yet at least give me a Firewire connection until HDMI is done cooking.

#57895 - 02/24/06 01:03 PM Re: 990 Question re HDMI
Robert Holloway Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: SF Cal
Thanks very much for all the answers here. This is an awesome forum.

I've been in the video / audio space for many years. If I get confused I can only imagine the challenge looming for less experienced folk.

Again thanks
Rob
3 Naim 135 amps
Sony Blu Ray
Mac Pro
Sony PS3
3 B&W full range spkrs
4 Kef full range spkrs
2 REL Stentor sub bass units :-)

#57896 - 01/04/10 08:00 AM Re: 990 Question re HDMI
jishaq Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by obie_fl:
I guess I'm in the minority but the big deal about HDMI for me "today" is a way to get SACD and DVD-A into my Pre-Pro. I know these formats haven't taken off big time, but I have a pretty big collection of them. Right now there is no way to get those formats into the Pre/Pro digitally. Why spend money on a nice Pre/Pro if you are only going to use it as an Analog PreAmp? If HDMI isn't ready yet at least give me a Firewire connection until HDMI is done cooking.
Hi guys,

I'm interested in getting the Pioneer DV-48AV DVD Player, as a dedicated SACD and DVD-Audio multichannel audio player, and running it through my Outlaw 990 to my 5.1 setup.

I'm a bit discouraged by obie_fl's post, which I've quoted above! Can someone please tell me the best way to connect the DV-48AV into my 990?

The DV-48AV has the following outputs:
* HDMI (can send either DSD or PCM audio from this output)

* Optical

* Coax digital

* 5.1 Analog (groan)

Also do I understand correctly that DVI doesn't carry audio data, so this means that using an HDMI-to-DVI cable between the DV-48AV's HDMI output to my 990's DVI input will produce video, but not audio?

Thanks for your help!
-Jeff

#57897 - 01/04/10 12:40 PM Re: 990 Question re HDMI
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Can someone please tell me the best way to connect the DV-48AV into my 990?
For DVD-Audio and SACD, you will need to use the multichannel analog. For DVD and CD, the optical or coaxial digital connection will work.
Quote:
Also do I understand correctly that DVI doesn't carry audio data, so this means that using an HDMI-to-DVI cable between the DV-48AV's HDMI output to my 990's DVI input will produce video, but not audio?
Correct. See my HDMI FAQ for the details of what HDMI is and how DVI relates to it.

As an aside, the list price on the 48AV is $299. I suspect it's available for less. We have been told to expect an announcement for OPPO Digital within the next week of a lower-cost Blu-ray player that would compliment their BDP-83 . If it arrives with a multichannel analog output, it could be an alternative. The BDP-83 supports DVD-A and SACD, so this new player likely will as well. The benefit is that if you want to have Blu-ray in the system alongside DVD-A and SACD, you need all three in one chassis so they can all use the multichannel analog input.

#57898 - 01/04/10 05:31 PM Re: 990 Question re HDMI
jishaq Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
For DVD-Audio and SACD, you will need to use the multichannel analog. For DVD and CD, the optical or coaxial digital connection will work.
Thanks. Why am I not able to go from the DA-48AV's optical output into my 990? I assume the DV-48AV can push a PCM bitstream through this output just as it can through the audio portion of its HDMI output. Also, I have successfully routed the 5.1 audio from my Mac Mini optical output into the 990 for movie-viewing, so I know "it works". confused

Quote:
As an aside, the list price on the 48AV is $299. I suspect it's available for less ... OPPO BDP-83 supports DVD-A and SACD
The 48AV isn't made anymore, and therefore shows up on eBay for $50 to $100. It's a great low-risk way of checking out SACD and DVD-A audio without spending a ton of cash. That's my plan, at least.

If I like it, and the media doesn't prove to be too expensive given that it's a 99% dead (i.e., expensive collector's) format, I can definitely see a future upgrade to a more modern unit like the OPPO, which supports Blu-Ray as well.

-Jeff

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts