Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#5782 - 03/02/05 12:07 PM Re: Cable Isolation
JMS Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NE Ohio
Man, I'm embarrassed to say I own a VPI Magic Brick which is supposed to be placed on top of transformers to improve the sound. I bought the thing 20 years ago but I think they still sell 'em. I guess I'm partially deaf being 53 years old but, I could never hear a difference with/without the brick. OTOH, my Brick Wall power conditioner has a real, aural effect on what I'm hearing through my ht. Caveat emptor!

Jay

#5783 - 03/02/05 09:55 PM Re: Cable Isolation
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by wingnut4772:

I have also also been reading that speaker cables should not lie on the floor ( regardless of the surface). Is this true or more baloney?
That is absolute baloney. I wonder what they would say about speaker wires laying on the floor of a 2nd story apartment - are they still "on the floor"?????

What about wires on blocks away from the floor, but the floor in question is in the lowest part of Death Valley, CA, which is below sea level???

Inquiring minds want to know. confused confused confused

#5784 - 08/05/05 12:21 AM Re: Cable Isolation
cmt655 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by wingnut4772:

I have also also been reading that speaker cables should not lie on the floor ( regardless of the surface). Is this true or more baloney?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The THEORY behind this 'tweak' is to isolate from vibrations in the floor. I can't say that I've experienced it firsthand, but I've read about it. There was even a way of proving that severe vibrations will impact loudspeaker performance. Unfortunately, I can't remember the details of the test, it was quite a few years ago and quite a bit beyond the workings of my own gear. Meaning, I cannot reach the level of detail that such a minor improvement would be noticeable to me.

to Wingnut,
to test this theory would be quite simple. Try it and trust your ears. I don't suggest you run out and buy the audiophile approved cable isolators, any dense material (hardwood, concrete) will work.

Happy listening!

#5785 - 08/05/05 11:45 AM Re: Cable Isolation
Lonster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Eureka CA.
My speaker cables are NOW run under the carpet, between the carpet and the cement floor.
I notice an immediate improvement in my wife's signal to noise ratio, and total harmonic distortion dropped significantly too.
Plus, the annoying 'thud' that I used to hear every time she tripped over the cables is completely gone and replaced by a warm smile and an occasional roll in the sack.
Proof positive that cable placement can dramatically affect your listening experience .

#5786 - 08/05/05 03:19 PM Re: Cable Isolation
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
right on lonster. but now if you need to strangle her with the speaker wires because she is talking during your favorite scenes it will take a long time to pull them out from under the carpet...

i guess a stun gun would do the trick though...

funny that you would want to suspend your speaker wires from the ground, when you dont suspend the rest of your gear... seems like a suspended cable would have no way to get any vibrations out of it in the air, but could transfer them to the ground if on the ground (or carpet..).

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 123 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts