Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#5766 - 02/26/05 10:48 AM ISF Calibration....Nightmare
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Miami
Okay. I was a good little home theater nut and got my Samsung 56' DLP calibrated by a reputable ISF certified technician.....and it looked horrible! I reset all the values back to OOTB ( which is actually quite good but blue).
The calibrator was having some issues adjusting red in the brightest little box that they measure so he adjusted the blues and greens around it to reach a temp of 6500. This resulted in a kind of flourescenty pinky greenish set. Luckily I wrote down the factory values ahead of time and have since 'fixed' this.
Is anyone familiar with this set that might know why he was having issues? He is prepared to return and give it another go but I am not sure I want him to.....

#5767 - 02/27/05 01:41 AM Re: ISF Calibration....Nightmare
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

#5768 - 02/27/05 11:00 AM Re: ISF Calibration....Nightmare
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Miami
Thank you . I think I am just goig to live with the OOTB settings because it really does look excellent to me. I was just being greedy smile I have a Digital Video Essentials on the way also.

#5769 - 03/30/05 06:37 PM Re: ISF Calibration....Nightmare
dutch Offline
Gunslinger

Wing, I had a ISF tech over to calibrate my Tosh 61h71. I used the Video Esstentials to set up my TV. Watched the movie the Hulk, the scenes at night, we only got glimpes of. I said no wonder it got bad reviews.
Just before Christmas we had the set calibrated. He adjusted the blacker than black, grey scale, color convergence. Temperature tracking is now around 6k to 6.5k [he even calibrate my DVD-A player for progressive scan.]
Not sure how he adjusted my red push, I can't read the small print. Watched the Hulk over again, the difference was incredible. And I thought I had done a good job with the Video Essentials. Good luck with yours.

#5770 - 08/03/05 01:08 PM Re: ISF Calibration....Nightmare
Pat Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Indiana
Tough luck on the calibration Wingnut..

I always thought my skills adjusting the colors and so forth were pretty good until I picked up an AVIA disc. It made a "huge" difference for the better with the picture and my TV is just a Sony 27" CRT. eek

#5771 - 11/15/05 04:32 PM Re: ISF Calibration....Nightmare
DaleB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Clovis, CA,US
Some ISF techs are more familiar with particular brands than others. While setting grayscale is basic, there is more that can be fixed if you know how to fully navigate the service menu.
I made SM adjustments on my Sony that got me very close to a good grayscale, using a #85 photogray card. Under the advice of a very competent tech.
But we also had made adjustments for red push, as well as numerous other tweaks specific to my display, including gamma.
Using Avia, or DVE, is essential to start and finish with. And sometimes as an intermediate step when changing cuts and drives in the service menu, and needing to establish a baseline again, for contrast and brightness.
None of this should be attempted except by the most competent or under their assistance. Arbitrary adjustments in the service menu can render your display useless, or even void your warranty. I think the latter is more of a scare-tactic, but if it keeps the unprepared from venturing into the SM it's effective.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 143 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts