Outlaw, one thing I know about you guys is that you listen, so here goes.

The perfect bang for the buck processor:

1. Direct path 7.1 analog inputs with variable analog bass crossover and true bypass capability. This would satisfy SACD/DVDA and future formats to come. Not to mention they could be used exclusively if one has a really good source. Best music quality availabe this side of LP's.

Note: two sets of 7.1 inputs would be awsome.

2. Stereo analog inputs as follows:

- TT input with MM and low output MC capability. Direct path with the ability to add a sub if desired, just like you have on the 990 now. No crossovers, just a stright through path. Second set of analogs set up exactly the same, but for CD, Cassette, or what ever. This will cover the two channel purist needs.

- Two additional sets of analog inputs with the ability to access digital crossover. No more discussion about lack of analog crossover capability. What would we talk about?

3. Digital inputs are a little more straight forward and I can see noting wrong with how you have them implemented right now. However, I would like to see the ability to set the delay/distance for each speaker, and not just each set.

4. Video switching, where do I start?

- It sounds like you guys are still not doing very well when it comes to converting the signal from composite/S-Video to component output. Performance is unusable on my 950 and sounds like it's not much better on your new units. If it can't be done better, than never mind, save the money.

- I see you've included the ablility to see the menu set-up on the component output, hooray! No more having to switch inputs to make adjustments most of the time. What I would really like to see the the ability to have the on-screen menu on any video output.

- I also agree with your decision to only include DVI at this time. Hard to tell how many years before we have a standard. Just a hard call at this point, you made the prudent decision.

Looking at my list your not very far off. As an interim solution, add the 7.1 analog crossover from the 970 to 990 (Fixed 80Hz is good enough for most, and certainly better than nothing).

I understand adding a digital crossover to the 7.1 inputs provides the flexibility many need, but it comes at the cost of performance, which is step backward from the 950 as far as I'm concerned.

I thought you guys had nailed it with the 970 until I read you have used DAC's that were inferior in sound quality to those of the 990. Why? You make the same profit regardless of which unit you sell, or do you?

Use the same DAC's and give the 970 the same performance quality of the 990. Add the TT input while you at it.

I realize the unit would cost more, but offer them as upgrades.

Build the unit I'm talking about, make it look nice (see Rotel, Anthem, etc), add a really good Pronto type remote, and price it at $1500 or less and watch the competition cry.

Almost there. laugh