Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#57235 - 01/25/06 05:27 PM Re: Bass Management Summary
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
OK, now I'm impressed, Capt. You lured the bossman into our little sandbox. I think they're really and truly serious about this one.

#57236 - 01/25/06 06:20 PM Re: Bass Management Summary
blaineh Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Peter
Good to hear from you here, and applaud your living night and day in the dungeons of design...

Did I mention to everyone that the 990 has outstanding performace on the D/A section, bettern than many high dollar solutions I have heard over the years on maggies (believe me, my biamped 20r would tell me otherwise). This machine is easy on the sensitive ears I call my own. The balanced XLR section is a serious improvement as well; the very high output levels needed by the inefficent maggies takes it's toll in distortion on many a preamp output stage. The sigle ended is nice, but man that XLR connection is ROUND boy...

Okay, now Peter, about that sonic holigraphy mode I spoke to about at the HES; you know, with the use of height channels creats a spherical illusion...you will add this in my personally configured update, yes?

#57237 - 01/25/06 06:34 PM Re: Bass Management Summary
The Capt Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wisconsin
Well, I have to break my own word. Since that post was directed ONLY to me, I guess I need to respond.

To Peter Tribeman:

If you will look back at some of my other posts, you might see I understand more than some here about the complications you are facing. My hypothetical "we need to give Outlaw the benefit of the doubt" post outlined some probably true, some probably not true, potential problems you are facing. I certainly don't question your desire or ability to attack this problem, nor have I ever attacked or misrepresented the past performance of Outlaw. You have more money of mine in your pocket than from just a 990 wink . Most of all...to the best of my knowledge I am not hindering your ability to accomplish this task. I will "let you get your job done" as I always have, by being 1500 miles away from you.

In the course of this issue, several persons have emailed me to continue discussions further. It is evident after reading some messages that some of these people have been given the wrong information. Not only that, but they are wondering how to get around the issue, what the impacts might be, etc.
My last post (regardless of how you interpret it) is not an attack on Outlaw over this issue. It is an expression of surprise that some potential buyers are willing to spend even more money than the initial outlay for the 990, just to make it work right (such as the gentleman looking into a powered sub to get an internal crossover). None of that is needed, as the 990 will eventually be fixed to work as intended. As tough as it is on your sales; prudent buyers should wait until the issue is fixed before plunking down their money and making due, IMHO. It could be argued that Outlaw's stellar reputation would be better served, Mr. Tribeman, were Outlaw to fully list the problems and not distribute more units until a fix is implemented. Some would construe acting otherwise to be..lets say...uncaring.

For your future benefit, here are some tidbits a person with your distinquished position MAY not know regarding this whole process.

Not once...ever...has anyone contacted me to discuss my problems with the product. I would have at least thought to call the rabble-rouser and get the skinny straight up, maybe even prove him wrong. Has not happened yet, and now it won't do any good.

My service ticket was closed WITHIN MINUTES of activation when I reported my issues. No exploration, no investigation, no confirmation.

To all the Outlaw out there, continue enjoying your products. Outlaw distributes a good product at a fair price. There is great value in what they are attempting to do. As for me, I believe my time here is at an end. You will now be getting my unit back, and I will vacate your cyber premisis for good. If that was your intention by excluding me from the customers whose reaction you valued, I am now more than happy to oblige. I guess the answer is you lose a few potential customers like me and it's no big deal in the online retail market I suppose. I would beg to differ.

Eric Dotseth (AKA The Capt.)

(singled out as) President,

My 990 don't work right club.
Pioneer DV578A (SACD,DVD-A)
Monster HT3500MKII
X Box, Samsung HLN-4667W
Energy C-9 (mains)
Energy C-C1 (center)
Proficient C645 (surr)
Hsu VTF2MKII Sub

#57238 - 01/25/06 07:29 PM Re: Bass Management Summary
mkozlows Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by PeterT:
Please give us the benefit of the doubt and let us get our job completed.

For the majority of you, we are pleased with your reaction to this remarkable product.
Nobody expects every product to be perfect; nobody expects fixes to problems to be instantaneous. People do, I think, reasonably expect that when a real, significant problem is found in a device they've purchased, the manufacturer will be apologetic for selling them a defective product, rather than SCOLDING them for having the temerity to air displeasure.

#57239 - 01/25/06 11:12 PM Re: Bass Management Summary
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The Capt, I am sorry to hear that you'll be departing the forum and parting company with your 990. You've offered some useful insight during your time here. If you ever change your mind, I don't think we're going anywhere.

This forum exists to allow folks to air displeasure, or pleasure, or confusion, or any other emotion or viewpoint (short of outright nastiness toward another person or group of people). That's why we can have open debates like this one (complete with differing opinions, viewpoints, and whatnot) about this very topic without the manufacturer nuking posts. In the case of Peter's post, he seemed intent more than anything else to make it clear to The Capt and other 990 owners (and anybody else who stops by) that Outlaw is serious about both rooting out all issues in the 990's bass management along with any other bugs and about attempting to add improvements requested by us wherever the platform permits. We already knew that such work was underway, but there is some value to having it reinforced by senior management.

#57240 - 01/26/06 09:49 AM Re: Bass Management Summary
old_school Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
I feel a bit badly about all of this, as it has gone in a direction that I had not intended or envisioned. If you scroll up to the top (to my message that started all of this) you'll see that what I wanted to promote was a discussion on what we'd like to see from The Outlaws, and what would be the best way to affect that change.

I still have faith in The Outlaws. I think they will get it right, and frankly, until it is resolved, the issues / use cases will not kill me. I'm willing to "wait and see" as I think (believe) they are making a sincere and concerted effort to do right by us.

Mark

#57241 - 01/26/06 11:13 AM Re: Bass Management Summary
The Capt Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wisconsin
Gonk,

As always, your skills of diplomacy serve you well. I believe most participants here understand the value you bring to this forum, and I encourge you to continue it. There are many people here in need of your advice and you serve them well.

Keep the faith Old School. I too believe a sincere and concerted effort is being made that will one day result in a fix. Just be careful not to meddle too much, or you may be cast down to the minority of customers whose input (reaction) was not pleasing.

Quote:
For the majority of you, we are pleased with your reaction to this remarkable product.
Pioneer DV578A (SACD,DVD-A)
Monster HT3500MKII
X Box, Samsung HLN-4667W
Energy C-9 (mains)
Energy C-C1 (center)
Proficient C645 (surr)
Hsu VTF2MKII Sub

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM