Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5716 - 12/06/04 10:12 PM line conditioners
97db Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis MO.
I have been researching line conditioners and voltage regulators after purchasing the 950. Looked at the Monster stuff,Tripplite and others. Noticed that everything is cheaper than Monster,am I trading off on quality? Are these other companies other than Monster just as good?Are the specs the same ect. anyone have any experience with the other companies.Thanks

#5717 - 12/06/04 11:20 PM Re: line conditioners
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
My general feeling is that anything with the Monster logo has a certain level of brand name mark-up built into the price tag. When comparing Monster, Panamax, Tripp-Lite, Brickwall, etc., I would anticipate that Monster gear will very probably cost more than competing products that are equally good. It's not really trading off on quality so much as Monster leveraging their market recognition to charge more.

#5718 - 12/06/04 11:32 PM Re: line conditioners
97db Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis MO.
Is there a certain spec I should be looking for when comparing Panamax,Tripplite Brick wall? I am checking out brickwall's sight now. Im thinking I will pass on Monster if your saying I can get the same thing at a cheaper price

#5719 - 12/07/04 01:46 PM Re: line conditioners
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
The TrippLite Isobar filters are heavily used in the professional audio/video industries. If anything, they are of higher quality internally (where it counts) than the Monster, which is a consumer unit that has a high marketing cost penalty built in.

#5720 - 12/07/04 03:49 PM Re: line conditioners
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
Another company you may want to check out is Furman Sound . They also are known in the Pro Audio/Video field. One thing I like about their surge suppressors and line conditioners is they use series mode protection like the brickwall units. This is a superior surge suppression technology compared to the MOV's used in most consumer devices.
One thing you should be aware of in the Tripp-Lite isobar line conditioners is "Neutral to ground bonding at the secondary eliminates common mode noise and provides an isolated ground reference for sensitive equipment". In some, but not all cases when I used these they actually exacerbated ground loop problems. As always YMMV, etc., etc., etc. laugh

#5721 - 12/18/04 12:01 PM Re: line conditioners
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
I have been happy with my Panamax 5300. I liked the other brands as well, but the Panamax provided 12V DC triggers and the ability to handel more components than many of the others. That worked out in my system, because that is what I needed. If all you are looking for is circut protection with no added noise, their are many cheaper alternatives.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#5722 - 01/02/05 12:14 PM Re: line conditioners
silversport Offline
Desperado

Loc: ChicagoLand/USA
I will be looking into this as well...thanks for the information!
Bill

...Let the Movies and Music Play...

#5723 - 02/28/05 11:48 AM Re: line conditioners
JMS Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NE Ohio
Take a look at the Brick Wall conditioners that are spec'd for audio. I have one and, am I crazy? but I hear a difference...the music emanates from a black silent background. They seem to have a different conception of conditioning and surge protection. Here's the url:

http://www.pricewheeler.com/index.htm

#5724 - 03/03/05 10:35 AM Re: line conditioners
Mike S Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

JMS,
Does Brick Wall have any protection for Cable TV, Sat, and Phone line connections on any of their surge protectors? How do I get the same level of protection for these components? Can't voltage spikes be transmitted along these pathways and cause damage to all interconnected components? I would hate to purchase a Brick Wall product and then introduce MOV style protection in the chain! Would not this defeat the purpose of going with Brick Wall. I think BW advertises that they offer the best level of protection...apart from the "NON-SACRIFICIAL" nature of their surge suppression???

#5725 - 11/15/05 04:17 PM Re: line conditioners
DaleB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Clovis, CA,US
Might check out ZeroSurge. Very good protection for relatively low cost. Can be used right at the outlet like Brickwall, even before an UPS, etc.
I do like Panamax's idea of removing power for major line variations. No connection is the best protection.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 97 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM