Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#57124 - 01/07/06 02:00 PM Trim setting software update
kgveteran Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Upstate NY
Outlaw Audio, please incude in your firmware and/or software upgrade that trim adjustments return to default after unit powers down! I like to make adjustments while listening to music and have it return to original settings after unit is powered down.Many times I forget to return my trim settings and figure it out while in the middle of watching a movie after the unit is powered up the next day.

Thanx

#57125 - 01/07/06 04:16 PM Re: Trim setting software update
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Conversely, I suppose that there are folks that would prefer their ‘fine tuning’ to remain after a power-down, power-up. Who is Outlaw to please?

To make both camps happy, what would really be needed are two sets of registers for the parameters being adjusted, a ‘Standard, Neutral or Default’ set and a ‘Custom’ set. One could then fiddle with the custom set to suit a particular DVD or other recording and return to the standard setting at any time.

Let’s take it a step further and have a storage device available that can store thousands of parameter sets for thousands of individual sources. When a particular source is played, the processor recognizes some unique sequence of data from that source and calls up the settings a user has determined are best for that particular source material.

Or one could have a printable label with an optical data set, a long barcode or other may suffice, and when one pulls a DVD off the shelf to play, one scans the data into the processor which now sets to the parameters encoded in the optical data print.

Now how much extra are we willing to pay for such versatility? The second paragraph above is about as far as I think most manufacturers would be willing to go. A piece of paper and a writing device are a good alternative far recording various parameters as a precaution after a lot of work on the general setup, whether one likes to tweak often or not.

From a philosophical point of view, however, I spent a good deal of time going for a setup that would be as accurate as possible overall within what is reasonable for me, then I live with what the audio creative/engineering team has done on each source recording. Although there are certainly times when I think that the variances in preferences, perception, environment and playback equipment between the mixing engineers’ setup and my setup make me think that something about a particular source is too much or too little in some aspect, such as level to the subwoofer or the comparative level of voice brightness in the center channel to the music and effects from all channels, just to name two variables. I often need to simply abandon my ‘picky listening’ mode and just lose myself in the enjoyment of the overall presentation created by the contributing artists and technicians on a given source. I find that I can psycho-acoustically accommodate a fair variance.

#57126 - 01/07/06 05:53 PM Re: Trim setting software update
kgveteran Offline
Gunslinger

Like I said, return to original calibration..geez.

#57127 - 01/07/06 05:59 PM Re: Trim setting software update
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
Does the 990 have seperate memories for each device selected? My old H/K did but my 950 does not. It was nice to select CD and have the settings be custom for music, select DVD and the settings are for movies, etc.

#57128 - 01/07/06 06:09 PM Re: Trim setting software update
kgveteran Offline
Gunslinger

No.it has one setting which is done at the initial calibration.If you tweak it using the trim function it remains as the last trim adjustment, regardless of input.

#57129 - 01/08/06 11:32 AM Re: Trim setting software update
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
I don't understand why the 990 does not have a memory for each input. Alright, the 950 was their first attempt but I really thought that if cheap receivers can have this feature, why not a an "audiophile" grade preamp. When we were shopping for a digital television, we made sure that each input selected had its own memory for picture settings, hoping to be able to bring out the best picture for each type of input, (yes we used a dvd test disc for set up for the dvd input and used it as a starting point for the other inputs). So why not have a seperate memory to bring out the best in each audio input selected? I do not enjoy trimming my 950's settings just to have to remember to reset them afterward. I guess I was spoiled with my H/K receiver that had a memory for each input, (the H/K receiver is 5 years old, so this is not new technology). The more I read about the 990 in these threads the more I am not sure going from the 950 to the 990 is actually a sonic improvement and if it has enough new features to warrant spending a thousand dollars to replace a 2.5 year old 950.

#57130 - 01/08/06 12:05 PM Re: Trim setting software update
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
Quote:
The more I read about the 990 in these threads the more I am not sure going from the 950 to the 990 is actually a sonic improvement and if it has enough new features to warrant spending a thousand dollars to replace a 2.5 year old 950.
DITTO

#57131 - 01/08/06 12:49 PM Re: Trim setting software update
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I don't know that trim setting memory per imput or the lack thereof is a good gauge of sonic quality - I do know that the move from my 950 to my 990 was a nice upgrade.

#57132 - 01/08/06 02:01 PM Re: Trim setting software update
quietdragon Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Alejate:
I don't understand why the 990 does not have a memory for each input.
This echoes my comment in my other post regarding bass management where I suggested explicit controls over bass management mode per input are a desired feature by the more sophisticated users.

To cover different kinds of users, a potential solution would be to have a global setting that is applied as a default to all inputs, and a per-input override. That way users with simple requirements can configure the global settings, and users with more sophisticated requirements can go into each input and configure those.

As for the trim settings, my reading of the manual suggests that the intent was to modify the settings for a particular program:

Quote:
Channel Trim allows you to fine-tune the channel levels to compensate for various soundtrack anomalies.
If this is the intent, the feature would be better named "Soundtrack Trim" and it would make sense to revert to the original settings at the conclusion of the program, and I would view power down as satisfying that criterion.

Having channel trim stick forever when this is the intended usage certainly makes the feature harder to use.

I would like to see the following:

Global settings : Permanent
Settings per input : Permanent
Program trim : Temporary

Who's Online
0 registered (), 97 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM