Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5603 - 05/27/04 03:39 PM For international (ie, canadian ) orders: here is how to avoid heavy brokerage fees
canali Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: vancouver BC
Folks: i order CONSTANTLY from the US (i'm a canuck)...the way I get over the brokerage issue is to tell USP (or whichever courier company i'm using) that I WILL CLEAR IT MYSELF, as soon as I get the tracking number.
They then notify me when the parcel arrives into port.

...HOWEVER if they do then deliver it, and i have my demands plainly on file (always get the rep's name and date you spoke with them) I get a refund for their mistake.

Otherwise I just drive to the airport, pick up the slip from the courier's front desk, walk a block to the canada customs clearance, pay the taxes, walk back to the courier company with the processed clearance paper...even better the company will still, if i prefer, ship it to me (sometimes useful if it's a large item, ie, speakers, or whatever)....afterall you HAVE paid for shipping and it's the final destination on the parcel which counts...but otherwise i'll usually just pick it up myself and drive off, happily knowing i've saved myself oodles of coin.

Hope this helps.
Joe
Vancouver BC

#5604 - 05/27/04 11:58 PM Re: For international (ie, canadian ) orders: here is how to avoid heavy brokerage fees
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by canali:
Folks: i order CONSTANTLY from the US (i'm a canuck)...the way I get over the brokerage issue is to tell USP (or whichever courier company i'm using) that I WILL CLEAR IT MYSELF, as soon as I get the tracking number.
They then notify me when the parcel arrives into port.

...HOWEVER if they do then deliver it, and i have my demands plainly on file (always get the rep's name and date you spoke with them) I get a refund for their mistake.

Otherwise I just drive to the airport, pick up the slip from the courier's front desk, walk a block to the canada customs clearance, pay the taxes, walk back to the courier company with the processed clearance paper...even better the company will still, if i prefer, ship it to me (sometimes useful if it's a large item, ie, speakers, or whatever)....afterall you HAVE paid for shipping and it's the final destination on the parcel which counts...but otherwise i'll usually just pick it up myself and drive off, happily knowing i've saved myself oodles of coin.

Hope this helps.
Joe
Vancouver BC

man im glad i live in the us. :-)

#5605 - 05/28/04 12:21 PM Re: For international (ie, canadian ) orders: here is how to avoid heavy brokerage fees
canali Offline
Gunslinger

RE: man i'm glad i live in the US.

But remember you might also experience the SAME levies if the item was made HERE in Canada (or other than the US)...i'm not sure what levies/taxes your govt imposes if the situation was reversed.

Cheers
Joe

#5606 - 05/29/04 04:28 PM Re: For international (ie, canadian ) orders: here is how to avoid heavy brokerage fees
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Joe,

Not to nitpick or anything but:

1. Your "clear it yourself" solution works ok if you are at or near the port of entry. Outlaw UPS Ground shipments to Ontario and points East typically enter at Windsor. You must then meet it there - or have someone else do so. Not practical for most people. Vancouver is likley the point of entry for anything going to BC - so you have lucked in.

2. Last time I was at YVR (last week) parking was not free.

3. Last time I drove from almost anywhere in the Vancouver area to YVR and back it cost me about $10 in gas. (And almost a couple of hours in traffic - return.)

4. Last time I drove in Vancouver it cost me a bleeping $253 speeding ticket! (On the way to the airport I should add).

5. Time is money. If you have any means to earn money with your time, then spending three hours going to and from YVR and processing your shipment has an opportunity cost associated with it.

But if you have the inclination, the time, and are reasonably close to a port of entry, I don't doubt that you have the potential to save some money.

Regards.

Jeff Mackwood

#5607 - 05/29/04 04:31 PM Re: For international (ie, canadian ) orders: here is how to avoid heavy brokerage fees
canali Offline
Gunslinger

your points are well-taken...it is only a 30 minute drive to clear it...and the parking IS free...as you go to the UPS (or whatever) courier's parking lot, not the general airport parking lot.

..as to speeding tickets...well, slow down or get a radar buster!...you can't really add that item to the discussion as a legit one, me thinks.

cheers
joe

#5608 - 05/30/04 11:58 PM Re: For international (ie, canadian ) orders: here is how to avoid heavy brokerage fees
Dundas Offline
Gunslinger

Still depends on how much you value your time. Drive to the airport, time to clear it, drive back....maybe not worth it? Especially with a subwoofer that won't fit in most cars

#5609 - 05/31/04 01:59 PM Re: For international (ie, canadian ) orders: here is how to avoid heavy brokerage fees
canali Offline
Gunslinger

again, you don't have to take the goods (they can still be delivered as you've already paid for the service)...it's the clearing which is all you have do.

For me: a 20 minute drive and a savings of anywhere from $30 (for a pair of interconnects) to over $100 for speakers or anything expensive is worth it in MY pocket.

Joe

#5610 - 01/05/06 10:43 AM Re: For international (ie, canadian ) orders: here is how to avoid heavy brokerage fees
quietdragon Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by canali:
Here's an update to this procedure that I used to to purchase a 990, shipped to Vancouver BC.

Savings on UPS brokerage for a 990 are about $90.

I also found some additional information on Usenet.

• Try to get Outlaw to mark the UPS shipment to indicate that I will self-clear customs, but they say they are not permitted to do so. I'm not sure why this is so.
  • Wait for Outlaw to send me tracking details.
  • Phone UPS Canada as soon as possible and have them mark shipment as being self-cleared. They want to know a contact name and telephone number.
    (BTW I also talked to UPS US who tell me that they are not permitted to modify the shipment details.)
  • Shipment arrives, and UPS Canada phones me to tell me I have three days to clear and pick up the item.
  • The UPS facility at Vancouver Airport can be hard to find, even with the right address!

UPS
    5960 Ferguson Road,
    Richmond, BC

Canada Border Services Agency
    113-5000 Miller Road,
    Richmond, BC

Google can provide a map showing the relative locations of the two facilities.

Parking is free at the UPS facility.
  • Take the paperwork to customs. UPS provided me with a handy map to find the customs office. Only pay parking appears to be available. The minimum amount was $2 for 2 hours.
  • Customs agents can be picky. The one serving me wasn't prepared to believe the invoice accompanying the UPS paperwork! I had to telephone Outlaw and have them fax a copy of the receipt directly to the officer's desk! My suggestion:
    • Bring along the credit card receipt.
    • Go in the morning when Outlaw offices are open so that a telephone call might quickly resolve issues.

[*]Take the paperwork back to UPS and pick up the shipment.

I wasted time searching for the UPS facility because of an old street map, and having to deal with the skeptical customs agent.

Everything going well, I estimate about 1/2 hour is required after arriving at the UPS facility (assuming no queues).

I also investigated having the unit shipped to Bellingham WA. The additional shipping cost to Vancouver BC was about $10, but the UPS Store was going to charge me $10 to receive the shipment on my behalf negating any savings.

#5611 - 06/24/06 09:52 PM Re: For international (ie, canadian ) orders: here is how to avoid heavy brokerage fees
quietdragon Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by quietdragon:
Here's an update to this procedure that I used to to purchase a 990, shipped to Vancouver BC.
After a recent annoying experience with a shipper who used FedEx instead of UPS (not Outlaw), I asked FedEx how to self-clear. Here is their reply:

Quote:
Reply received from FedEx
Thank you for your e-mail. In order to self-clear your package, the shipper must indicate on the Ground Commercial Invoice, under broker information, that you will “self-clear” and provide your name and phone number. You will then be contacted by FedEx Ground who will advise you where the shipping documents/manifest may be obtained. You may then go to your nearest local customs office to submit the paperwork and pay duties and/or taxes, if any.

For further information, please contact FedEx Trade Networks at 1-866-463-8682.
I haven't had a chance to use this procedure yet, so I do not know where the FedEx Vancouver depot is located.

I managed to find some additional information here from an AVSForum member importing equipment from Japan.

#5612 - 07/07/06 08:19 AM Re: For international (ie, canadian ) orders: here is how to avoid heavy brokerage fees
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
canali wrote:

..as to speeding tickets...well, slow down or get a radar buster!...

I live in a town in Maine right on the Kanadian border. When we go to Kanada we have to remember to NOT have our radar detector. They will confiscate them.

..and BTW Kandaian (and also US customs) have no sense of humor so when asked at the border where we're going and what for etc....we don't say: "Got a load of radar detectors for parliament members. Going to deliver them in Ottowa"
laugh laugh
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 184 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts