Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#55749 - 08/28/05 04:14 PM Re: New Version of HDMI, 1.2, is out!
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
I'm going to avoid HDMI as long as there is an alternative that doesn't box me into some bogus copy protection scheme....cuz that's what it's really about, not making device connections less complex.

Cheers,

#55750 - 08/28/05 04:17 PM Re: New Version of HDMI, 1.2, is out!
obie_fl Offline
Gunslinger

Lots of good disscussion here. I'd like to make one point in regards to HDMI audio support on the new HD format DVD players. It is very possible and several insiders have hinted that the present 1.1 HDMI interface will be handle the new hi-res audio formats as it will be decoded by the first generation of players themselves. HDMI already supports multiple channels of Hi-Res PCM data. This is similar to how the first DVD players decoded audio. The players will do it instead of your Pre/Pro.

#55751 - 08/28/05 04:20 PM Re: New Version of HDMI, 1.2, is out!
Ritz Offline
Desperado

What about those of us who don't WANT our players to decode anything and would prefer to feed bits to a higher end outboard DAC? That's my current beef with SACD/DVD-A.

Cheers,

#55752 - 08/28/05 04:27 PM Re: New Version of HDMI, 1.2, is out!
obie_fl Offline
Gunslinger

Ritz I believe you mean HDCP not HDMI as the "bogus copy protection scheme". Ignore it if you want but HDMI is a better interface then component. Why would you want to take digital sourced data (DVD, satellite, cable ect) and go through an analog stage only to have your display device convert it back to digital?

I don't like HDCP one bit but I think in order for the studios to release near bit perfect high resolution media it is not unreasonable to expect them to require encryption. What I take issue with is the shutting down or down rezing of the non-digital (component)outputs. You would need expensive equipment to copy a hi-rez analog signal and even if you had access to such gear it would not be an identical copy of the original.

#55753 - 08/28/05 04:31 PM Re: New Version of HDMI, 1.2, is out!
obie_fl Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Ritz:
What about those of us who don't WANT our players to decode anything and would prefer to feed bits to a higher end outboard DAC? That's my current beef with SACD/DVD-A.

Cheers,
Umm..thats exactly what HDMI gives you. ?????
Even in the senario above, HD-DVD outputting PCM, you would still be using your Pre/Pro DACs but not it's processor for decoding. For DVD-A and SACD over HDMI you would be using everything in your Pre/Pro.

#55754 - 08/28/05 06:24 PM Re: New Version of HDMI, 1.2, is out!
Ritz Offline
Desperado

I'm not arguing that HDMI isn't better than component....of course it is! However, it's not "better" than DVI. DVI is already here, already standardised, and it works. I see absolutely no reason to "upgrade" to HDMI other than the removal of an additional audio cable(s).

And I believe you're right about me being confused with HDCP. Studios have been whining about this issue every single time technology has introduced more advanced recording meiums. They whined about the cassette, the VCR, the CD-R, DVR-R, etc. The last time I checked, I haven't seen this massive decline in studio profits as recording media and technologies have evolved to make it easier to create high quality copies of their content. What I HAVE seen is a consolidation of the industry that has resulted in fewer choices for consumers in terms of variety of content and monopolist pricing in both the sales of content and its performance in cinemas/concert halls. But I digress.....

#55755 - 08/28/05 07:39 PM Re: New Version of HDMI, 1.2, is out!
obie_fl Offline
Gunslinger

Ritz - I'm a little confused by what you are wishing for here, other then ranting about the big studios, which btw I'm not totally unsympathetic to your point of view.

How are you planning on using DVI for audio? I thought you were discouraged that you couldn't use your DACs with it, and yet this is exactly what HDMI gives you the ability to do. It is much more then just being able to get rid of some extra cables.

Also HDMI has the ability to carry more color space data then DVI if I’m not mistaken, who knows if this will be exploited in the future though.

#55756 - 08/28/05 07:57 PM Re: New Version of HDMI, 1.2, is out!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
He's not planning to use DVI for audio - that's why he said "I see absolutely no reason to "upgrade" to HDMI other than the removal of an additional audio cable(s)." He's doing what basically we all are (whether by choice or under duress) - using separate signal paths for audio and video.

#55757 - 08/28/05 09:33 PM Re: New Version of HDMI, 1.2, is out!
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Gonk hit the nail on the head. HDMI offers me nothing that I don't already have. So what's the point?

And sorry about the rant concerning the studios. If you knew what I did for a living, you'd probably be surprised that I take this point of view. 8-)

Cheers,

#55758 - 08/29/05 12:16 AM Re: New Version of HDMI, 1.2, is out!
alphanstein Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Ritz:
Gonk hit the nail on the head. HDMI offers me nothing that I don't already have. So what's the point?
Sorry to say, in the future, 1080p will only be transmitted on HDMI interfaces. The studious will have their way and the chip manufacturers are building silicon to this effect.

As the LCD and DLP2 sets all start moving to 1080p native resolution, in 2-3 years, the HDMI 1.2 spec will be the interconnector of choice pushed by the OEM's. Just my take on it.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 96 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts