Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#5593 - 05/17/04 09:57 AM Re: Solid State & Tube Bi-Amping
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
yeah, i understand what parametric eq is, it happens to be intergrated into my new receiver and was something i liked about it. however i knew about it beforehand, its not like it suprised me. you seem to be implying that you are just correcting room acoustics by manipulating the signal the way that you are, i would counter that there are better ways to do so. you mentioned some in your post. i think that people should be trying to allow the signal, in turn the sound, to get as close as possible to the way it was recorded. if you are going away from that, then you are doing an injustice to yourself, you certainly seem like you think you are going closer to it. it doesnt seem like you are to me. dont waste my time with lengthy explanations of something that is common knowledge for everyone here as a poor attempt to conceal what you already said.

#5594 - 05/17/04 04:08 PM Re: Solid State & Tube Bi-Amping
AGAssarsson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
yeah, i understand what parametric eq is, it happens to be intergrated into my new receiver and was something i liked about it....
... dont waste my time with lengthy explanations of something that is common knowledge for everyone here as a poor attempt to conceal what you already said.

I will be brief. Based on your comments, I would guess that you don't actually know what a PEQ does or the legitimate reasons why people chose to use them. You state that you like your receiver's PEQ feature, but in the next breath you discount others who would use PEQ in their systems. What's up doc?

Why don't you explain to "everyone here" what it is that I am concealing. WMD? Are you really that paranoid? What is your agenda "in here" anyway? Do you think that the intellectual elite are pushing separate audio components?

FYI, at the CES 2004 in NYC, Denon has introduced the AVR-3805, AVP-1x, POA-1x, and DVD-1x. The AVR-3505 is a AV Receiver with an 8 band PEQ. Interestingly, the other products are separates in their "Studio Reference" line. Just imagine how foolish and stupid those people who purchase Denon's higher priced separates will feel when they find out they could get the same stuff in one box; smaller, lighter, and less expensive. And it is also DENON, so it's got to be just as good. Sure glad we know better.

#5595 - 09/22/04 08:31 AM Re: Solid State & Tube Bi-Amping
jeffdavis Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Columbia, SC
Wouldn't bi-wiring to a speaker with a passive crossover network inside of it work out to be the same or similar to simply running a larger diameter cable between the amp and speaker? If this is true (just asking) then wouldn't the end result be less resistance on the wire? And isn't this a good thing?

I seem to remember reading a Canare, I believe that it was Canare, blurb about their 4S11 wire stating that each of the four strands was 14 awg and that if you were to attach two of those strands each to the positive and negative terminals on the speaker, then you would effectively have an 11 awg speaker wire. Would this not be an advantage to bi-wiring?

Jeff
LR: ARC Reference 1 | Emotiva XPR-2 | Music Hall MMF2.2 | Oppo BDP-83SE | Polk XRt12 XM Receiver | Emotiva XDA-1 DAC | Sony HAP-S1 (digital audio player) | Sansui TU-217 Tuner | Magnepan 3.6R w/Mye-Stands | SVS SB-16 sub | BA VR-M90s | Audio Quest 72db speaker cable
Office: Drobo 5N running as PLEX media server
Closet: too many pieces to put all into place, I need more rooms smile

#5596 - 09/22/04 10:40 AM Re: Solid State & Tube Bi-Amping
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
While bi- or tri- amplification will bring some benefits, I find virtually no benefit to bi- wiring – unless I was making a profit selling cable. If I was given a choice, for a given distance between amp and loudspeaker, of bi- wiring two cables, one for mid/high frequencies and one for low frequencies, giving a round trip resistance of two ohms each, versus one cable that gives a round trip resistance of half an ohm for all frequencies, I would choose the lowest resistance option. Remember, whether bi- wiring or not, the same passive crossover elements are still in the path and still interacting electrically.

#5597 - 09/23/04 04:54 PM Re: Solid State & Tube Bi-Amping
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffdavis:
Wouldn't bi-wiring to a speaker with a passive crossover network inside of it work out to be the same or similar to simply running a larger diameter cable between the amp and speaker? If this is true (just asking) then wouldn't the end result be less resistance on the wire? And isn't this a good thing?

I seem to remember reading a Canare, I believe that it was Canare, blurb about their 4S11 wire stating that each of the four strands was 14 awg and that if you were to attach two of those strands each to the positive and negative terminals on the speaker, then you would effectively have an 11 awg speaker wire. Would this not be an advantage to bi-wiring?

Jeff

i guess it depends on what you consider an advantage to be...

yes it will give you a lower guage aggregate which in turn could lead to less resistance, but that does not mean that the sound will change...

you would be better served to use multiple strands of higher guaged wire, than one low guage piece of wire. i am pretty sure the skin effect is not detectable in wire 18ga or thinner, but it could be 17. either way, 2 18s yielding a 15 combined would be better than one 15ga, assuming all else is equal and there is no short or anything...

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#5598 - 09/23/04 05:07 PM Re: Solid State & Tube Bi-Amping
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Oh....never mind....

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited September 23, 2004).]

#5599 - 09/23/04 08:57 PM Re: Solid State & Tube Bi-Amping
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

?

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#5600 - 09/27/04 10:53 AM Re: Solid State & Tube Bi-Amping
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Why verbalize until the upper frontal externality displays a reflectance tinge wavelength approaching 475 nm?

… the better part of valor.

[This message has been edited by bestbang4thebuck (edited September 27, 2004).]

#5601 - 12/18/04 01:32 PM Re: Solid State & Tube Bi-Amping
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Don't want to start anything but; this article has some interesting points. It discusses how a tube amp differs from a transistor. I use a combonation of both in my system and each have there good and bad points.

Mesa/Boogie Manual

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#5602 - 12/19/04 12:26 PM Re: Solid State & Tube Bi-Amping
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Yes, they do both have their uses. It's too bad that some people cant't see that the various types of signal devices are all in the audio toolbox, to be used as the application warrants.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Who's Online
0 registered (), 138 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM