Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#55062 - 07/19/05 08:57 AM Re: I received the 990 (My impressions)
natbrown_64 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa, Fl.
I've still not resolved the issue with lower output levels from my 990/755. I did as suggested and manually recalibrated using a Radio Shack SPL meter. I set it for 0db on the 990 and an output of 75db at my listening position. This actually works out to be about 3db lower than the auto configuration settings the 990 came up with. I also set the sub crossover to 150hz for the rears since they are small Infinity speakers (admitted junk but working for now). At these settings, I had to run the 990 even hotter, +4db to get any significant output from the system. So, I went back to the auto configuration settings.

For comparison, I hooked my Yamaha RX-V795 back up and used the pre-outs to the 755. I got more of what I was expecting from it. During my testing of the 990 with the SPL meter, I ran the 990 up to max output, +8db playing a CD (Rush Hemispheres) and got 106db at my listening position. With the Yamaha, I got 108db at my listening position and only had the volume control on it at about 50% (sorry, Yamaha didn’t see fit to calibrate it’s volume control or I don’t have the display set to show it correctly). But, the 795 gave significantly louder output than the 990. It was more dynamic as well.

One last thing which I will check is the night setting on the 990. I didn’t specifically enable it but I will go back and double check that it is not engaged. After that, I’m going to have to call tech support.

I have to say, the sound quality of the 990/755 is very impressive. I was absolutely blown away by the sound of my phono. My vinyl albums have NEVER sounded better. Makes me want to go out and buy a new turntable.

#55063 - 07/19/05 11:12 AM Re: I received the 990 (My impressions)
Rene S. Hollan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Monroe, WA
travk13: SteveCallas sent me more info on "pro" amps, and it is interesting. But, I remain skeptical, generally because I don't like the performace one gets with them in live, amplified shows (except, perhaps, the very best ones): one wall of sound with little placement (yes, the mixing is done live and that doesn't help, but still...)

The ubiquitous fan in them is another issue for me: I like my amps close to my speakers, with long(er) balanced interconnects, as opposed to long(er) speaker runs, killing the amp's damping factor. I've got some 40 foot and longer runs in my listening/viewing room, mainly because of the way it's layed out.

Specwise, pro amp distortion and amplitude response figures never impressed me much. SteveCallas might argue that they're inaudiable: I'd have to do a double blind test to see if that was true for me.

#55064 - 07/19/05 11:52 AM Re: I received the 990 (My impressions)
PodBoy Offline
Gunslinger

Wow, this is getting way out of hand. On the other hand, fun to sit back and watch the back and forth. Can't help myself in responding to:

"...As a matter of fact there is low end receiver out there with more features than this pre/pro."

OK, and which "low end receiver" would that be with a DVI switching, second zone capability, USB input AND software upgradeability, balanced outputs, 4-way crossover, auto-setup (whether you like or choose to use it or not), phono section (rare these days on entry level anything), dual sub outputs, three-input/100MHz component video, video conversion from CVBS or S to component, etc...

Pythagore: Please let us know what that is, as some of us might want to buy one. If not, it would seem that for many (nothing pleases EVERYONE), the 990 appears to be a good value for the price.

Oh, yes, and apparently most people are more than satisfied with the way it sounds.

#55065 - 07/19/05 12:16 PM Re: I received the 990 (My impressions)
obie_fl Offline
Gunslinger

Bruce - Couple of things. Definitely check the night mode. First off you are comparing a calibrated system with an uncalibrated system. Do the two systems sound the same when played at the same levels on your meter.. say 100db? Comparing two systems at different levels will always make the louder one sound more dynamic. Are you also saying the Yammie can go significantly higher then 108db? Do you really listen to those kind of levels? If you want to play around with this some more try calibrating the 990 to 85db and see how it sounds.

What speakers are you using? Do you have a subwoofer? If so are you running your mains small and at what crossover frequency? Maybe you have something strange going on with the bass management.

#55066 - 07/19/05 03:47 PM Re: I received the 990 (My impressions)
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Conyers,GA,USA
Bruce,

I used a V795 as a pre/pro with a 755 until I got a a 950 and then went to a 990. I will say IMO that the 795 was as good as the 950. I never had a problem calibrating to 75db at 0 volume level with the 975 nor the 990. I can not find a volume setting referenced for calibration in the 990 manual, but 0 is what I used. Do check your night setting and connections to the 755.

#55067 - 07/19/05 09:06 PM Re: I received the 990 (My impressions)
natbrown_64 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa, Fl.
Ok, I went back and looked at the documentation and the night mode only affects dolby digital signals so that is out as a possibility. I’ve done a lot of experimenting with stereo signals as well.

Obie_fl thanks for the input. Yes, the Yamaha will play significantly louder than the 990 using the same settings (as best as I can match them up). And no, I don’t regularly listen to anything that loud. I stopped where I did because I really didn’t want to destroy anything, my speakers or my hearing. My point was that I could run the 990 at 100% and I don’t think I should be able to approach that with this setup.

For the record, I’m running Klipsch KG4.5 speakers with a Klipsch KSW12 sub. These are pretty efficient speakers so I would think the 755 would drive them to those kinds of volumes with no trouble at all. I’m running the mains as large, the center and rear (5.1) as small. I’ve tried several crossover frequencies but, I know from experience around 80hz gives the smoothest transition from the mains to the sub so, that’s what I settled on. At the moment, I’m using the speaker in my Toshiba DW65X91 set for center and some small Infinity’s in the rear. This system has evolved from a stereo system to home theater over the years. A new set of speakers are next on the list of upgrades.

By the way obie_fl, awesome home theater!!!

Paratrooper, thank you as well. I’ve gotten a lot of good use out of the RX-V795 but it was lacking in some respects now. (I’ve only been using it for 6 years now) Let me ask you, would you think that you could ever run your 990/755 system at 100%? Honestly, I would expect to blow out a speaker doing that if the 755 was really being driven close to 200watts/ch. But I can set the 990 at +8db (won’t go any higher, I now know from personal experience) and everything holds together, no clipping, no distortion, woofers don’t lose control or bottom, no smoke for the tweeters wink

I guess a call to tech support is in the future for me. I really want this to work but right now, I’m not satisfied. And, honestly, I don’t think it is working correctly. I’ve gone through a lot of gear over the years. I’ve run these same speakers and RX-V795 with a Yamaha M80 stereo amp for years. So, I have an idea what a high power/quality amp should be able to do with them.

Oh, I tried a reset on the 990 but no joy there either.

#55068 - 07/19/05 09:44 PM Re: I received the 990 (My impressions)
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Conyers,GA,USA
Bruce,

I miss stated my Yamaha used as a pre/pro, it is in fact a V750 7.1 receiver. shocked

I not sure what you mean by 100%, but calibrated to 75db at 0 volume, movies or 7 channel stereo is too damn loud for me. I have NHT speakers which love power, they can take what the 755 and two M200s put out, but my ears cannot. My normal listening level is -20 to -15 volume. smile

#55069 - 07/19/05 10:54 PM Re: I received the 990 (My impressions)
obie_fl Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by natbrown_64:
Obie_fl thanks for the input. Yes, the Yamaha will play significantly louder than the 990 using the same settings (as best as I can match them up). And no, I don’t regularly listen to anything that loud. I stopped where I did because I really didn’t want to destroy anything, my speakers or my hearing. My point was that I could run the 990 at 100% and I don’t think I should be able to approach that with this setup.
Thanks for the HT compliment I appreciate it. smile

OK by the sound of the above paragraph you did not understand the gist of my questions. smile

What I'm saying is you are comparing apples and oranges. If you adjust both systems to play at 100db on your SPL meter they should sound the same loudness wise. Ignore for the time being whatever level you have to adjust the 990 or Yammie to, it is irrelevant to the issue at hand. 100db on your sound meter is 100db it doesn't care what you have your Pre amp level set to. If the Yammie some how sounds better when it is powering your system to a 100db meter reading then the 990 at a 100db meter reading then you have a real problem. Does this make sense?

If indeed you have a sound quality problem at equal SPL levels I would still suspect something in the bass management, but it sounds to me like you are chasing your tail. What doesn’t make sense is when you said the 990 sounds very good. What exactly are you trying to gain? Are you worried about headroom? If so I’d calibrate 0db on the 990 to 85db instead of 75db.

The Klipsch are very efficient as you say so I am kind of surprised you can max out the 990.

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts