Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#55012 - 07/01/05 03:44 PM Re: I received the 990 (My impressions)
Pythagore Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Kanata, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by clo2016:
Sorry about that. As I was saying...

I noticed something with the auto setup that I was wondering if someone could explain what was going on and if it could be Pythagore's problem.

Before running the auto setup I first turned my sub amp volume control from about the 1:00 pos. to about 9:00 per another thread in this forum. I then ran the setup and got that problem people see about the front and rears being swapped. I then shut off my sub and re-ran the setup. I turned on the sub just as the sub test was starting. Everything seemed to setup correctly this time. Note: The sub was assigned a correction of -1dB.

So I put in a movie and it is like there is no bass at all. Then I remember I turned the volume down on my sub. I go and turn it up to were it was set, and I have bass again. This gets me thinking that the auto setup did not work very well. I mean if the auto setup set the correction for the sub at -1dB with the volume level turned down, then why do I need to turn the volume level back up on my sub?
Interesting Clo2016, before running the auto setup I put the Lowpass filter on the sub to max (120Hz),after the auto setup my sub was calibrated to -1dB.

I left the calibrated value as is and changed the level on the sub, The level on the sub is adjusted to +3 (Assuming the starting point is 0).

My other concern is the volume level. I need to put the volume level to -10dB in order to have my usual listening dB, which doesn't leave me much if I want to crank the volume up when I have friends over or if I want to listen to concert level. (I do have space and no neighbor to bother, so I usually listen to music at moderate level). I don't care much about movies; any $300-$500 will do a decent job when feeding it a DD signal.

Today, the only day off I have and I call the customer support to find out that they work only until noon today. I think I'm done, I will just go to the dealer where I bought my amps tomorrow morning and pick up the Aragon Stage One.

If this unit sonic performance was as you guys keep pointing out, I could have turn a blind eye on the fact that I don't like the way it fits in my Home theater room decor. But, It failed to deliver to my expectation. At this point I'll take the $350 lost and send it back.

Thank you, for being very patient with me. I apologize if I came a bit strong on my first post.

Regards,

#55013 - 07/01/05 04:07 PM Re: I received the 990 (My impressions)
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Just wanted to add two thoughts which are semi-related to this thread:

1) If there was one "tweak" piece of equipment in the audiophile world that should be mandatory for every set-up, it's a SPL meter. For the $30 or so dollars for the Radio Shack analog version, you get one of the best and easiest set-up/calibration tools out there.

2) The most underrated piece of set-up/calibration equipment is your ears. If the measurements don't make sense, listen to the system and adjust. There are so many acoustical/physical impedments in the typical user listening room that the only tool you can truly trust is your ears. If it sounds good and you're not damaging the equipment, you're set.

Pythagore, I'm sorry that Outlaw equipment didn't work out in your system. I hope you have better luck with the Aragon. In the end, it's all about the music. smile

#55014 - 07/01/05 05:03 PM Re: I received the 990 (My impressions)
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
Quote:
Originally posted by Pythagore:
My other concern is the volume level. I need to put the volume level to -10dB in order to have my usual listening dB, which doesn't leave me much if I want to crank the volume up when I have friends over or if I want to listen to concert level. (I do have space and no neighbor to bother, so I usually listen to music at moderate level).
This is the part I am having a hard time understanding. If you have an SPL meter set the volume on the 990 to -10 and then run through the channel configuration and use the pink noise to dial each speaker to 75 db. This way you should have plenty of headroom since the 990 goes to +10.

#55015 - 07/01/05 08:23 PM Re: I received the 990 (My impressions)
Rene S. Hollan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Monroe, WA
Hurry, Hurry! Step right up!!

we have 990 B Stock!

Step right up!

:-)

Too bad the 990 didn't work out for Pythagore, though.

#55016 - 07/02/05 05:36 PM Re: I received the 990 (My impressions)
clo2016 Offline
Gunslinger

gonk, the reason I used the lower level at setup was due to the thread: "anyone feel the auto calibration tone may damage the LFM1?" on this forum. I have a four 15" driver IB driven with a 2400 Watt amp and I did not want to run the risk of bottoming my drivers. Even though I turned the sub down, the output was loud and the auto setup reported a -1dB setting. But in actual use there was very low sub output level and that is why I turned it back up.

Also, after auto setup, the fronts were 0db the center was +1 dB and all the surrounds were zero dB. I got out my RS meter and ran through the test tone manually and got fronts 0dB center +6dB and surrounds +9dB.

Not sure what is up, but the auto setup did not seem to work well in my case. Or does the auto setup take something else into account that the RS meter does not?

Thanks

#55017 - 07/03/05 12:42 PM Re: I received the 990 (My impressions)
darwin Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by clo2016:
Not sure what is up, but the auto setup did not seem to work well in my case. Or does the auto setup take something else into account that the RS meter does not?
You're not alone. The auto setup on mine refused to recognize my center speaker or my sub, even though it played test tones over both of them. I think the auto setup software is buggy and needs some tweaking.

#55018 - 07/04/05 06:53 PM Re: I received the 990 (My impressions)
Outlaw_Tim Offline
Gunslinger

The Auto Set-up was a bit wonky for me as well, it wouldn't find/set my surround right-back channel, though it found the left one just fine (I swapped cables and speakers each time).

I unplugged my 950, plugged in my 990 used atuo-setup (then used the SPL meter and the auto was damn near spot on, except for the one issue). It sounded great right out of the box, I guess I got lucky!

#55019 - 07/05/05 05:51 PM Re: I received the 990 (My impressions)
butch Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
If your still having problems I'm in Ottawa and could always drop by to give you a hand. I used the avia test disc and a spl meter on mine and a friends system and both sound great. Good luck!

#55020 - 07/05/05 09:15 PM Re: I received the 990 (My impressions)
power Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
pythagore,

if you decide to sell i am interested. I am from Windsor so drop me a PM or email at powerserge1@juno.com

#55021 - 07/14/05 10:30 PM Re: I received the 990 (My impressions)
natbrown_64 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa, Fl.
Hi, I would not discount Pythagore so quickly. I just received my 990/755 combo and am experiencing something similar with regard to the perceived volume levels. Understand, I’ve just spent the first night with it and some of your suggestions make a lot of sense. But, my initial impression is that I have to run the 990 at a very high setting to get significant output from my system.

I’m not going to try and compare it to what I just replaced since; there is no comparison between a pre/pro and 200 watt/ch amp and a Yamaha receiver with 80 watt/ch.

I’ve been running the 990 at 0db to +2db to get what I would call moderately loud sound levels with the CD, phono, optical and coax inputs. That just seems awfully high to me since it tops out at +8db.

I did run the auto setup and I will go back and revisit the settings manually. But they did not seem outrageous when the auto setup ran.

Also, there seems to be a large disparity between volume levels when decoding dolby digital vs. DTS soundtracks. I was watching the opening battle on the Gladiator DVD and in dolby digital, I was running the 990 at 0db to +2db. When viewing the same sequence in DTS, I had to run the 990 at -13db and it was still significantly louder than the dolby digital soundtrack.

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 142 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts